LegacyGT.com

Everyone, which tires are you using?

godwhomismike

Bought a pair of Pirelli P7000's at a garage sale (killer price, couldnt pass it up). Size was 215/40/ZR17. This will still fit the stock LGT rim right?

It's undersized by a significant amount, but it works fine... do check your tire pressures and definitely run it higher since you have a shorter sidewall than stock.

Keefe

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BFGoodrich Traction T/A, I swear to god I could drive upside-down with these babies, I dont think I have ever managed to break these things loose and I cant wait till winter :D. This coming summer though I'm gonna try to pick up some Rota Tarmac II's or G-Forces and slap on some good summer rubber

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

I am not going to answer this post, it's too long for me to write up everything.

Keefe

Temptation got the best of Keefe ......... he has more posts than anyone in this thread and most is off topic. :D

Also! Why can't non U.S. tires be discussed Patagonia? Anyone near the 49 par can come up here and get great Michelin "Hyroedge" tires for your $100. :confused:

And this is on topic. :p

For my Legacy:

215/45-17 Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S (all year round)

Car is completely stock, I have 13k miles on the tires. I generally like them, and would probably buy them again.

Pros: Excellent dry traction, Excellent wet traction, quiet, ride doesn't suffer

Cons: Average snow traction, tramlining, less rim protection than RE-92s

For my other interests (1982 VW Rabbit):

185/60-14 Yokohama A032R (summer)

185/60-14 Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 (winter)

Car has enough mods to make the A032Rs worthwhile ;-)

Toyo Proxe 4 225/40/18 .. Can't complain yet other than average amount of noise at higher speeds. Haven't used it in any snow or rain yet so don't know how that will handle. I don't plan to change wheels or tires for the winter since we'll only get so much in DC area and next season I'll be in the sunny Miami.

Summer - Falken Azenis ST 115's 225/40/18

Middle of the road traction, fairly quiet decent tread life, Kind of the Chevy Caprice of performance tires.

Winter - Bridgestone Blizzak ws 50's on stock rims. Car goes and stops anywhere

Well, after a good deal of research I went ahead and ordered a set of Kosei K-1 TS wheels and Michelin Pilots from the Tire Rack. The stock wheels and tires will go up for sale on ebay on Wednesday.

Can't tell where you live, but if it's anywhere that the winter temps get below 40F, keep the wheels for either a/s or snow tires for the winter.

The key issue with summer-type tires is not only snow, but the fact that they become "rocks" at cold temps.

Ron

Can't tell where you live, but if it's anywhere that the winter temps get below 40F, keep the wheels for either a/s or snow tires for the winter.

The key issue with summer-type tires is not only snow, but the fact that they become "rocks" at cold temps.

These are all-season tires, and I don't intend to use separate snow tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+A%2FS

I used two sets of tires on my BMWs because they were so lousy in the snow, but I've never found it necessary with an AWD vehicle. In the Winter I just lower the pressure to 28 psi. My '90 Legacy handled anything up to 6" of wet snow just fine with the stock tires.

Many, many years ago I lived in New Hampshire and owned a Peogot 404 with Michelin all-season tires and I had no problems. I can't imagine that Michelin's tread patterns have regressed since then. Of course, their prices have gone up a tad as well.

BF Goodrich T/A KDW2 225/40/18

Pros: Resonably priced, no louder than stock, ride as well as stock.

Cons: none.

I dont race and have yet to push my car to its limits so I"m not qualified to comment on traction. I'v not yet tryed to burn out in this car either. My asssumption is the KDW's will do every thing better than stock tires which are now my winter tires.

Has anyone used the Continental Extreme Contacts yet?

I've a lot of friends that run them on Audis. I'm running them on an '02 Leg. GT Limited with the stock alloy rims. The stock size is 205-55 16" and the new 225-50 16" so I get about the same wall size, a bigger contact patch, and hope good tire wear.

• 7 months later...
question.. what's the difference if a tire is "XL" or not... i want the least amount of chance of getting bubbles and stuff like that.. i have 4 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires in my shopping cart on tirerack right now lol, i don't know if i should get XL or not.. WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE??

question.. what's the difference if a tire is "XL" or not... i want the least amount of chance of getting bubbles and stuff like that.. i have 4 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires in my shopping cart on tirerack right now lol, i don't know if i should get XL or not.. WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE??

nevermind... i bought the regular ones from tirerack for 88 dollars a piece :icon_bigg

Load & Speed Ratings:

215/45 WR17

87W SL 280 AA A

1201 lbs.

51 psi

10/32"

22 lbs.7-8"

7"

8.3"

7.1"

24.6"

215/45 YR17

91Y XL 280 AA A

1356 lbs.

50 psi

10/32"

22 lbs.7-8"

7"

8.3"

7.1"

24.6"

NA

To get this info, go to the Tire Rack site, go to Shopping Tools, then Tire Tech

The 87" or "91" is the Load rating, which you can see in the table above.

The "W" or "Y" is the Speed rating

I believe the "SL"or"XL" is just the GY nomenclature (Standard Load or Extra Load...or something like that!)

Personally, I would have gone for the 91Y - YR17 tires (even knowing that they are $135 versus the $88). The Speed rating doesn't matter, but the Load Rating is the same as the factory tires,and with the track work I do, it could be useful. I suspect that there is a tire construction difference, but Tire Rack doesn't spell it out (maybe the GY site does....I didn't go there). basically the 91Y tires are comparable to the stock tires for Load rating.

For normal street drivig, and assumng tha you don't load up the car with passengers & luggage then drive cross-country in the middle of the summer, the 87W should be OK, but I would never consider them.

If you happen to have state inspections, and an inspector was REALLY picky, he could flunk you with those 87W tires if he compares the load rating to what is on your door panel

Ron

Anyone try the yokohama Neovas?? curious to find out why there are 3 different prices too at tirerack,..maybe different run models? descriptions are saying anything different about the tire loads,..

Also, whats a good replacement to the re070's (got 04 sti oem rims),..i like the stiff sidewall and responsiveness. the BFGoodrich GSport tires I had were nearly as responsive a this tire and it got good to excellent dry handling ratings,.Looking for fairly good wear too,..at most 20-25k daily driving and no autocross/track time,...

.. the 87W should be OK, but I would never consider them.

If you happen to have state inspections, and an inspector was REALLY picky, he could flunk you with those 87W tires if he compares the load rating to what is on your door panel

Am I mistaken that OE Bridgestone tires have indeed load index 87?

Going for load index 91 is overkill and definately not worth it in my opinion (especially for extra 50$ a tire).

Krzys

PS "SL", "XL" are standard industry terms describing load on passenger tires, if I am not mistaken.

I have the F1s in the stock size. Ditto PGT's comments...though with over 4K miles on them they do not seem as tight nor grippy as they were previously. Probably going with Nokian WRs in a month or so for the white stuff...

Just want to update from this post last August:

I ran the WRs in stock size this winter and they were terrific. They provided about 70-80% of the performance of the F1s (most noticeably and expectedly, they were not quite as good as the F1s in the corners, during hard acceleration, and during braking). And of course, they were great in the snow. They were good in the rain but not nearly as good as the F1s (which are perhaps the best tire I have ever run in the rain). WRs were about as quiet as the F1s as well (btw, the F1s are a bit louder now with some wear than they were new, but I don't think they are appreciably louder than the RE-92s were with some wear).

Overall, I have been very happy with these tire choices and would not hesitate to purchase both again.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

Am I mistaken that OE Bridgestone tires have indeed load index 87?

Going for load index 91 is overkill and definately not worth it in my opinion (especially for extra 50$ a tire).

Krzys

PS "SL", "XL" are standard industry terms describing load on passenger tires, if I am not mistaken.

Yep, you're right.

My Exalto PE2s are 91W XL (And they also say Extra Load on the sidewall).

I still have the unmounted RE92s in the garage (That I can't sell!!) and they are indeed 87W for 1201 #s.

I checked the weight plate on the door for my Ltd 5MT Wagon:

GVWR: 4,545 #s

GAWR-F: 2.295 #s

GAWR-R: 2.340 #s

So from a pure Gross Vehicle Weight, or a Gross Axle Weight, the 87W just squeaks under.

Personally, I will stay with the extra capacity of a 91W or 91Y tire, which will usually include stiffer construction.

Ron

Anyone try the yokohama Neovas?? curious to find out why there are 3 different prices too at tirerack,..maybe different run models? descriptions are saying anything different about the tire loads,..

Also, whats a good replacement to the re070's (got 04 sti oem rims),..i like the stiff sidewall and responsiveness. the BFGoodrich GSport tires I had were nearly as responsive a this tire and it got good to excellent dry handling ratings,.Looking for fairly good wear too,..at most 20-25k daily driving and no autocross/track time,...

Not sure what you mean by three different prices for Neovas, unless you are talking about the AD07 in the 225/45/17 size. Two of those are for the Lotus Elise fitments, one heat-cycled, one not.

If you liked the RE070s, why not stay with them? There are also summer tires farther up the food chain in Bridgestone's line, like the two Pole Position tires, other RE050, and the RE01R.

FWIW, I got a super deal ($100 apiece) on my Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2s last year. I love them!! Great on the street and the track. I wasn't going to get another set, as I feel the Michelin, like Goodyear, tires are overpriced for what you get.

Anyway, I want to stay with the 215/45/17 size for my 17x7.5" Rota SDRs, and I also want a light tire (around 21-22 #s). I may very well just stay wth another set of the PE2s.

On a previous vehicle (with similar weight to the LGT), I had Yoko ES100s, which, prior to the PE2s, were my favorite (summer) tire. In the Tire Rack comparison test, the PE2 edged out the ES100, but the ES100 is also $100 versus $160 for the PE2.

The ES100 does not have an extremely stiff sidewall, but IMHO it is probably the best riding performance tire I've had. It seems the tread area is stiff, with a flexible sidewall, so you get a non-jarring ride, yet get good road feel. ES100s are the other consideration when I replce the PE2s this winter after two more track sessions and probably 10K road miles.

Ron

Looking at getting either Falken 115's, 451,s or 452's for the summer, 235/40/18 mounted on Prodrive PFF7's.

Winter are Nokian WR's in 215/45/17 on the stock rims.

Running right now: 225/45/17 Falken Azenis rt-615's on some light weight Eneki Wheels (Amazing dry grip)

In the garage: 225/40/18 Toyo T1-S's on my Spec B Wheels (Great in the dry and wet)

For winter: 215/45/17 RE-92's FTW! on Stock Wheels.

Archived