LegacyGT.com

Everyone, which tires are you using?

godwhomismike

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure what you mean by three different prices for Neovas, unless you are talking about the AD07 in the 225/45/17 size. Two of those are for the Lotus Elise fitments, one heat-cycled, one not.

If you liked the RE070s, why not stay with them? There are also summer tires farther up the food chain in Bridgestone's line, like the two Pole Position tires, other RE050, and the RE01R.

FWIW, I got a super deal ($100 apiece) on my Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2s last year. I love them!! Great on the street and the track. I wasn't going to get another set, as I feel the Michelin, like Goodyear, tires are overpriced for what you get.

Anyway, I want to stay with the 215/45/17 size for my 17x7.5" Rota SDRs, and I also want a light tire (around 21-22 #s). I may very well just stay wth another set of the PE2s.

On a previous vehicle (with similar weight to the LGT), I had Yoko ES100s, which, prior to the PE2s, were my favorite (summer) tire. In the Tire Rack comparison test, the PE2 edged out the ES100, but the ES100 is also $100 versus $160 for the PE2.

The ES100 does not have an extremely stiff sidewall, but IMHO it is probably the best riding performance tire I've had. It seems the tread area is stiff, with a flexible sidewall, so you get a non-jarring ride, yet get good road feel. ES100s are the other consideration when I replce the PE2s this winter after two more track sessions and probably 10K road miles.

try some other performance tires and you won't think the es100's are that great.

I have 225/40/18 Falken RT-615's. Good tire but they seems to want to pull me left and right a lot - don't know if that's a scrub radius problem or what (wheels=18x7.5 +48)

that's called tramlining and is just sticky tires gripping to the imperfections in the road unless of course it's doing this on glasslike pavement.

try some other performance tires and you won't think the es100's are that great.

I already have over the years, and I still like them. For the "stiff sidewall' crowd, they probably aren't stiff enough, but they handle very well in a track situation, even on a heavy FWD car.

If auto-x is your thing (if I can assume that from your avatar), you probably want stiffer tires (as well as suspension) for faster response & "pivot"at lower speed. For street and road course work, that's not what I look for.

The Pilot Exalto PE2 are stiffer, and I like them, although they are on a different car than the ES100s I'm also intrigued by the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx.

I figure between track events and putting on ~18K/year, I will use up my summer tires within two seasons, so I can try whatever looks good at the time.

Ron

Hey, just found this forum...it's awesome!

--I have stock rims and tires right now, but need new tires soon. I'm looking for the best high perf all-season tire out there. I realize that there is inherent compromise with an AST since one tire can't do everything...I just don't have enough cash flow for another set of rims and tires. Anyway, with the research I've done, the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S, the Continental Extreme Contacts, the Kumho ASX, and the Falken Ziex ZE-512s seem to be the most popular. So, for those out there like me, consider these tires.

--One question for you guys: I haven't seen anybody talk about the Avon Tech M550 A/S. That tire is ranked #1 on TireRack's Ultra HPAST list. Anybody rolling on those and how does your Legacy like them?

Thanks, :dm:

Hey, just found this forum...it's awesome!

--I have stock rims and tires right now, but need new tires soon. I'm looking for the best high perf all-season tire out there. I realize that there is inherent compromise with an AST since one tire can't do everything...I just don't have enough cash flow for another set of rims and tires. Anyway, with the research I've done, the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S, the Continental Extreme Contacts, the Kumho ASX, and the Falken Ziex ZE-512s seem to be the most popular. So, for those out there like me, consider these tires.

--One question for you guys: I haven't seen anybody talk about the Avon Tech M550 A/S. That tire is ranked #1 on TireRack's Ultra HPAST list. Anybody rolling on those and how does your Legacy like them?

Thanks, :dm:

Check out the weight of the Avon...too heavy.

Check out the weight of the Avon...too heavy.

Nope, those Avons are fine, only 23#s in 215/45/17. Granted, less is better, but 23#s is acceptable (it's at the top end of my personal tire weight limit). By comparison, the Contis are only 20#s/tire. the ASX is 21#s.

I would say any of the ones listed are fine, plus I would also consider the Bridgestone RE950, and I would also take a chance on the new RE960AS Pole Position

Ron

bone -

All of the tires you've listed have had positive reviews here on LGT.com - of the group, I unfortunately can only provide information regarding the comparison of the Pirelli and Falken.

Of these two, it's accepted that the Pirelli is a higher-performing tire when the roads are dry - however, in the wet, the Falken start to come into their own. When road conditions worsen due to snow/slush, the Falken have been reviewed by members here who've had both tires to have a traction advantage over the Pirelli.

In my experience, the Falken ZIEX ZE-512 truly excel at high-speed hydroplaning resistance. If you travel a lot on wet highways, this would be a great choice. Although capable in snow/slush, they offer minimal traction on true ice - this trait belies their status as an all-season compromise. Also in my experience, be careful to monitor your tire pressures with the ZIEX; it's my humble opinion that they are extremely sensitive to inflation pressures, and their performance envelope can be significantly impacted/altered with just a 2 to 3 PSI drop in inflation pressures.

The Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S tires are what's called "ultra-high-performance" (as opposed to the ZIEX's "high-performance" nomenclature) all-seasons, and they've been reported here to definitely hold an edge over the ZIEX in dry conditions and in wet cornering.

A potential concern for you should also be that the Pirellis have been reported (by some) to suffer from cold-temperature overnight flatspotting. While this type of flat-spotting is temporary and will "pound out" with only a few miles of travel, if you have a short daily commute (like I do), this may not be acceptable to you.

Best of luck!

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Thanks TSi-WRX...appreciate the info...yeah, I've seen others complain about the flatspotting on the Pirelli's...

--have any suggestions on where to find the cheapest Falkens?? Thanks, bone

The RE92a's also experience flatspotting on our LGT.

The Falken's are nice tires initially but get loud as time passes. They may not last the full life of the tread due to dependant on your tolerance for noise. This is a common and in opinion a serious shortcoming(show stopper) on an otherwise inexpensive decent tire.

I felt I threw away money purchasing them and removing them at 18k miles since I could not stand the noise. I did properly rotate them and car was aligned (not a LGT).

I found this to be a complaint(more than a few times) on a tire forum on Consumer Reports where they highly rated the Falken.

^ Good point, andrew_j, on the increasing noise of the Falkens.

Fortunately for me, this is something that I am very ill-attuned to, and I thus have not noticed it on the last 3 vehicles which I've had the ZIEXs on - thanks for spotting this one, as "out of hearing, out of mind" certainly seemed to have applied for me here. :)

------

The RE92s flat-spot?

Now that's a new one that I have not heard of..... Very interesting.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

forgot about this thread......

235/40 Toyo T1R's

Much better tire than the 3 other sets I have had. It came down to the T1R & the Goodyear F1.

I have about 7k on the Toyos now still performing flawlessly:)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Hancook Ventus. They have been very good in the incessant rain we've been having lately.

Rock solid at 75 on the highway through standing water. Very solid through the curces on wet pavement.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14384&d=1139015202

Edit: WTF is it with attachments? Sometimes they show up fine and other times it displays a link??

The RE92a's also experience flatspotting on our LGT.

The Falken's are nice tires initially but get loud as time passes.

I found this to be a complaint(more than a few times) on a tire forum on Consumer Reports where they highly rated the Falken.

Off on a slight tangent but I have been leery of these tires since (1) they were picked by Consumers Reports, (2) because of (1), my 84-year-old father-in-law was considering a set for his Grand Marquis Brougham, and (3) they make these tires in H, V, and W speed ratings, and the all look the same (tread pattern, etc). FWIW, I doubt that they took the W-tire and backed it off for the H, I'll bet it was an H, then whatever was needed for a W rating was done. Something smells funny to me (WRT these being good performance-type a/s tires).

Ron

Winter = Dunlop Winter Sport M3

Great dry and snow traction

Firm sidewall for a winter tire

Could be a performance all-season easily

Summer = Toyo T1-R 255/45/18

Incredible traction in the dry

Firm sidewall = 38/40 PSI F/R

Quick turn-in

Fabulous in the rain - zero hydroplane - aim for big puddles at speed to watch the splash and jet trail

OBXTLTD5MT - battlewagon

Summer: Dunlop Sport 9000's

I liked the 5000's a lot, and gave these guys a try when I got my RS wheels. Great grip, and very predictable in the wet.

Winter: Blizzak WS-50's

What needs to be said about the classic?

just mounted my Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s($88 a piece from tirerack).. so far so good, didn't really drive with them on, but i notice a huge difference in cornering compared to my stock RE-92s... i'll just drive with my RE-92s in the winter, and my F1s in the summer...

however, i heard (i know i shouldn't start phrases with "i heard" haha) that the Eagle F1s are pretty much garbage after about 10,000 miles on them... anyone have a long experience with them?

• 2 weeks later...

Kumho AST's. And I DO NOT recommend them. I am pissed that Im out 400 bucks from yesterday. The design looks nice, but the car loses tractio nat 30mph turns, CRAPPY! It also lost tractio non all 4, when swirving to another lane to avoid an accident yesterday. When in the same situation, the RE-92's would NOT have lost traction, even with how bald they were. I am extremely upset with the quality of these. They may be better for drag (straight line acceleration), but I doubt it. Its 112 degrees today, so I cant tell if it grips better going straight. Its way too hot to boost on my car, IMO.

So, STAY AWAY FROM KUMHO ECSTA AST's. They are complete CRAP!

Kumho AST's. And I DO NOT recommend them. I am pissed that Im out 400 bucks from yesterday. The design looks nice, but the car loses tractio nat 30mph turns, CRAPPY! It also lost tractio non all 4, when swirving to another lane to avoid an accident yesterday. When in the same situation, the RE-92's would NOT have lost traction, even with how bald they were. I am extremely upset with the quality of these. They may be better for drag (straight line acceleration), but I doubt it. Its 112 degrees today, so I cant tell if it grips better going straight. Its way too hot to boost on my car, IMO.

So, STAY AWAY FROM KUMHO ECSTA AST's. They are complete CRAP!

Wait a minute....it sound slike you just had them installed yesterday?

if so, it takes tires a few hundred miles to scuff in and lose their "greasiness".

I haven't heard great things about the AST anyway....for an all-season tire the Kumho ASX appears to be a better choice through reviews and comments I've read. The AST is only H-rated, and not really a performance tire.

Ron

• 1 year later...

Bump!

Looking to replace a set of Toyo Proxes 4 with about 27k miles on them.

Overall very happy with the tire and were pretty good in the snow two winters ago, although this year they were a bit sketchy due to the lack of tread left...:rolleyes: I had them siped when I bought them at Les Schwab, who I am kinda trying to avoid this go around for tires. Discount Tire will match Tire Rack and at this point I'm looking at Kumho or General. Suggestions?

I just returned a set of Falken 452's. They did not match the suspension of the car at all. They had very soft sidewalls and car wiggled all over the plaace (Swift springs and sways with jdm spec b struts and shocks). I bought a set of Falken RT-615, huge improvement, the car is rock solid now.

Vulcan has a rockin deal on 615's

Archived