LegacyGT.com

Everyone, which tires are you using?

godwhomismike

^^^^ Good move on returning them. I bought a set of Dunlop Direzza DZ101s (reviewed in an earlier post) that were fine on the street, but were absolutely horrid on the track once they got hot. I could have done better running on the rims with no tires!! :lol:

It's the first time that I've shytecanned a set of tires with only 5K miles.

I bought Hankook RS2 Z212 tires, which are the street version of their Z211 track tire. The reviews on Discount Tire's site have been great. I will be running a track next week and I'll review them after that.

Ron

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BFG KDW2 215/45-17

Great grip especially when warm. Less when the temp is in the 30's. Predictable.

I haven't reached the limit on cornering yet.

So far about 11k on two different cars. Still a lot of tread.

More noise than stock , but not objectionable to me. Just a low frequency growl which disappears when your speed goes up.

Wet cornering at speeds >60 is not what I expected. Each setup will behave differently. I just have 19 RSB. Caution is the word here.

Blizzak LM 25 on 16" rims,for winter.

Great tire. Only about 4K on them. Drove in 12" of snow. Great traction. Dry, very good also.Nothing but good with them so far.

O.

Summer: KDW2 - Good dry, good hydroplane resistance, ok wet lateral (weakest area for the tire IMHO), a little noisy but not too bad

Winter: WR - Good dry, good wet, good snow, ok icy (not as soft as a dedicated snow obviously), pricy

Currently running Yokohama AVS Sports (225/40 18). Much better dry grip than the AVS ES100's I had before. For the price I paid they're worth it; not sure I would have paid full price for them however.

The 100's do fine in rain; haven't tried the Sports though.

I just returned a set of Falken 452's. They did not match the suspension of the car at all. They had very soft sidewalls and car wiggled all over the plaace (Swift springs and sways with jdm spec b struts and shocks). I bought a set of Falken RT-615, huge improvement, the car is rock solid now.

Vulcan has a rockin deal on 615's

I'm picking up a set of FK 452's tomorrow so now you've got me slightly concerned. The fact that i'm still on stock tires and the price i'm getting them for I don't think i'll be changing my mind, but can you elaborate a little more? I've driven on a car with the 615s and they are essential a DOT legal track tire, so that's a pretty harsh comparison. Were you tracking with the 452s or a very aggressive driver?

I've got iON springs, stock shocks, and Progress sways all the way around.

I'm picking up a set of FK 452's tomorrow so now you've got me slightly concerned. The fact that I'm still on stock tires and the price I'm getting them for I don't think I'll be changing my mind, but can you elaborate a little more? I've driven on a car with the 615s and they are essential a DOT legal track tire, so that's a pretty harsh comparison. Were you tracking with the 452s or a very aggressive driver?

I've got iON springs, stock shocks, and Progress sways all the way around.

I think the fact that I am running stiff, springs, sways, struts and shocks amplified the limitations of the softer side walls of the 452's.

The tires did not work at all with the suspension. If you took the steering wheel and turned it back and forth the car would wiggle from side to side. I was looking for a crisp response from the steering wheel. My car now handles and rides like an Sti. The Sti's RE07's have stiffer sidewalls the 615's too.

I will say the once the tires and suspension were loaded in a corner the 452's had very good grip. Also the are really quiet for a performance tire and pretty good in the rain.

In your case I think you will be just fine. Anything is better than RE92's It will also help that you are running stock struts.

Thanks for the follow up. I should be mounted, balanced, and installed on the 452s tomorrow.

If the 615s had a better tread wear and if my daily driver was up and running, i would have went for the 615s, they are amazing. As my first set of 'performance summer' tires I think the 452s will do alright for now.

Thanks for the follow up. I should be mounted, balanced, and installed on the 452s tomorrow.

If the 615s had a better tread wear and if my daily driver was up and running, i would have went for the 615s, they are amazing. As my first set of 'performance summer' tires I think the 452s will do alright for now.

Give us your impressions after you've been on them a bit. I would be curious to know.

Bridgestone RE960 Pole Position...225/45-17 mounted on STI BBS rims.

Suspension: Lowered 1"

No road noise, wet or dry.

Best high performance all-season tire out for the money...period. :)

'07 Forester STI (ECS Performance)..SOLD!

'09 Spec B...Sold!

'11 LGT Limited...Sold!

'17 STI Limited

• 2 weeks later...

jOebert, How do you like the new tires?? Let us know.

Bridgestone RE960 Pole Position...225/45-17 mounted on STI BBS rims.

Suspension: Lowered 1"

No road noise, wet or dry.

Best high performance all-season tire out for the money...period. :)

+1000000000000

I have same size in stock rims. Tires are ridiculously good.

Falken FK452 225/40/18

Well i've got about 500 miles on them now and just started pushing them in the last week or so and so far i'm really happy. They are very quiet and don't seem to tramline much. I'm just daily driving the car so I still haven't pushed them too hard but they definately stick a whole lot better than the RE92s. The nice corners on my work commute are a lot more fun now and I no longer make high pitched squeeling noises while sliding across lanes. So far so good.

To be honest I haven't even checked the tire pressures yet, so hopefully the next review will just get better.

Hankook RS2 Z212

I have found my new favorite summer tires. $107 each at Discount Tire for 215/45/17s. I ran them at a track day at Grattan last week, and they were great for street tires. These are the street version of the Hankook RS2 Z211 tires. I suspect that i would have to spend twice as much to get a better street tire that works on the track (ie Pilots and Advans). Read the reviews on the Discount Tire site.

Ron

Archived