LegacyGT.com

Jackal's 20g to 18g e85 Soap Opera

Once I decide to do the install im going to bring it up again and push for the hybrid setup depending on how it works out for you. I'll also try to get a better explanation from them.

Any of the tuners on the boards have any input? Cryo? Logan?

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a good read on the subject. This person is using UTEC, instead of an AP, but same principals. One issue is, if the car has an issue and you drive it at WOT, it will still boost to what the MBC is set to. It would bypass going into limp mode, at WOT. Other than that, as it mentions, it can be a good set up. Just have to be cautious

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602674

• 5 weeks later...

Just keeping my options open here, I've spoken with a local shop that that has expressed possible interest in making an EWG header for 5th gens. I'm going to discuss more with the owner today on what he thinks the cost would be as well as what the design would look like. I'm going to push for a design similar to the ETS header, but with only 1 wastegate as opposed to 2. We like the idea of a design which keeps the runners separate as long as possible.

I'll add an update after I speak to him more but if there is anyone who might have interest, please let me know so I can give him an idea on interest/quantity.

hey bud, i posted in a separate thread but just got my car back from Jon at 5150racing.

we were able to completely solve the overboosting issue by porting it. now it holds steady 20-23 psi no matter what gear we were in.

as always, i told him to tune conservatively as hes 400 miles away and i dont want to ever have any issues (my 05 which is running trouble free on state 3 after 100k miles is why i went back to him) :)

numbers are about what i expected. :)

thanks for all your help and isn it great to know your old turbo is living on in another LGT? :)

11391283_10152878088001016_5508783615226643554_n.jpg.361612799e71c9f17a5d055969f453be.jpg

While not the optimal solution, I'm going to try porting the internal WG first just to see if that alleviates the issue. I fully understand the benefits of EWG - I'm doing this more as a way to increase the general knowledge base on the forum as to what the capabilities/limitation are for the IWG. That way, if other members go with BNR upgrades, they can request a larger IWG from Bryan right away as opposed to down the road when it becomes more complicated and expensive to fix. In speaking with him, he indicated that the port can certainly be enlarged more than what it currently is.

Obviously, every car and setup will react differently, but it's a line in the sand anyway.

Porting makes a huge difference on cars with more open exhausts. It's worth the time and effort.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Yeah, I know I had a tough time getting in touch with Bryan during my upgrade last year. I think Bing (16psibrick) also had a tough time reaching him. However, I could usually get him almost right away on the phone. I called and spoke with him on Monday about porting the WG so you might have better luck on the phone if you haven't tried that yet.

Even though it doesn't really matter, here's a plot of what the car put down during the latest dyno pulls when the P0108 (high manifold pressure) code was thrown. It is pretty clear that the performance drops significantly when the ECU freaks out, but even with that, it still managed a not-terrible 288 whp / 365 wtq.

Turbo porting is scheduled for 6/30. If that is successful, I'll hit the dyno again to see what the plot looks like when there are no codes thrown.

Capture.thumb.JPG.d8b7f1961e430ffe9659830cee9cf470.JPG

As an added challenge for any of the tuning experts, here's a datalog I took during a WOT pull in second gear, then again in third. In second, I stayed below 24 PSI but in third, the boost crept.

What does the ECU actually do when that P0108 code is thrown? Obviously the power output is affected as shown in my dyno plot, but I'd like to know what the computer actually changes/modifies/cuts that results in the reduced power.

Challenge extended!

New CBE Overboost.csv

I mean, when I was on the stock turbo with e85 I was running close to the limits of the stock MAP. Hit the P0108 once or twice, but never on the dyno.

3bar would at least give the ECU a little more room to see what's going on