LegacyGT.com

Jackal's 20g to 18g e85 Soap Opera

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking I would be ordering something like the following (thanks to jojorios for compiling this original list):

OEM Replacement Parts:

2 GASKET-EXHAUST MANIFOLD 14038AA000

1 GASKET-EXHAUST TURBO OUTLET 44616AA150

Couple Of Extra:

STUD-10X44X12 800910580

BOLT-10X35X26 800110620

SELF LOCKING NUT 902350001

FLANGE NUT 902370010

EWG Header (Exact Version TBD)

(Qty TBD based on Header) - Tial MV-S 38mm wastegate

Mazdaspeed3 BCS 771750

Am I missing anything or screwing anything up?

Thinking I would be ordering something like the following (thanks to jojorios for compiling this original list):

OEM Replacement Parts:

2 GASKET-EXHAUST MANIFOLD 14038AA000

1 GASKET-EXHAUST TURBO OUTLET 44616AA150

Couple Of Extra:

STUD-10X44X12 800910580

BOLT-10X35X26 800110620

SELF LOCKING NUT 902350001

FLANGE NUT 902370010

EWG Header (Exact Version TBD)

(Qty TBD based on Header) - Tial MV-S 38mm wastegate

Mazdaspeed3 BCS 771750

Am I missing anything or screwing anything up?

Just in case your interested:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/ny-grimmspeed-mazdaspeed3-ebcs-239220.html

I'm waiting 10k to do the header install but I also ended up getting buying the Grimmspeed Adjustable IWG Bracket (sku 010019). Not sure if its 100% needed, but just in case, I didn't want to weld anything.

Just in case your interested:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/ny-grimmspeed-mazdaspeed3-ebcs-239220.html

I'm waiting 10k to do the header install but I also ended up getting buying the Grimmspeed Adjustable IWG Bracket (sku 010019). Not sure if its 100% needed, but just in case, I didn't want to weld anything.

Thanks! Is this BCS also plug n play with our stock wire harness?

It begins - just ordered the EBCS from jojorios. I'm checking with a couple shops around here on the possibility of fabbing up something custom or modifying the stock headers. Also may move on SomeZero's header depending on what I come up with here.

I keep thinking about the stock setup and the ETS option - wouldn't it be possible to have two tubes welded to the stocker just like ETS? I haven't looked at it in any detail so I might be missing something but the concept seems possible....

Continuing down the path of part procurement, I've noticed that a lot of EWG setups with EBCS have a fluttery sound due to the cycling of the boost solenoid. One way to eliminate this is by using a manual boost controller. Is anyone else running EWG with an EBCS that does not experience the fluttering or is this inherent in that configuration?

I was also looking at the MBC, but the tuner was really not a big fan of them and suggested EBCS. Something about it being a pain with temperature changes. That's how I ended up getting the EBCS.

When I was looking into this I also came across a hybrid setup that uses both and MBC and EBCS, which didn't look like it creates the flutter.

Plumb the wastegate dump back into the exhaust system. Problem solved.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Talked to my tuner a little more and he recommended a hybrid setup with both MBC and EBCS. MBC will control peak boost while the EBCS allows for boost taper at upper RPM and boost cut in case of knock as shown:

Did your tuner mention anything about temperature change affecting the MBC in this setup?

I really wish I had a local subie shop/tuner I could fully confide in. The subie shop I used is the only one I know of locally that has a good rep, but when I asked about the MBC and the hybrid setup, they pretty much told me they won't do it because the MBC can be a pain with the seasons.

Did your tuner mention anything about temperature change affecting the MBC in this setup?

I really wish I had a local subie shop/tuner I could fully confide in. The subie shop I used is the only one I know of locally that has a good rep, but when I asked about the MBC and the hybrid setup, they pretty much told me they won't do it because the MBC can be a pain with the seasons.

No, he didn't. In fact, he said this is the setup he recommends most highly for those who want/need precise boost control and that it is what he runs on his own Legacy.

I guess I don't understand how temperature could have any effect on a manual boost controller. The controller is just staying closed until the spring cracking pressure is reached, then it opens up. Since the spring cracking pressure won't be influenced by temperature (within the range of temperatures it's going to see in real-world use) or atmospheric pressure, the boost setting shouldn't change either.