LegacyGT.com

I'm new! 95 Outback, first time owner!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i found a picture online of what i'm talking about. the rear cam "plate" (for lack of a better term) on the passenger's side of the engine is leaking. What is this called, and what will i ask for at the parts store to replace whatever is leaking under it? i believe i can get to this and reseal this from the top, but noticed it when i had the trans out this past weekend. any information is appreciated :)

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af262/Rugby_boy101/PassengerSideRearo-ring.jpg

the rear cam "plate" (for lack of a better term) on the passenger's side of the engine is leaking. What is this called, and what will i ask for at the parts store to replace whatever is leaking under it?

the is generally referred to as a cam cap.

and it needs a cam cap o-ring to cure the leak.

it is the same oring used on the driver side head in the front.

only that ''cam cap'' has the shaft coming thru it with the sprocket.

the cam cap covers the hole where the cam shaft is inserted into the head.

look for the part display and number at

Subaru parts catalog

sweet! looks like it's part number 806946030 for future reference. i'll see about picking one up at some point. should i lay down any RTV with it?

so far, i believe my rear engine separator plate is leak free :D

when i put the new trans in, i used the shifter linkage that came with the trans, which was also missing the bushings. i did a new steel bushing/washer combo as the old setup rattled like crazy. it's sloppier than my first attempt though. i think i will break down and buy the correct shifter bushings. the car drives fantastically other than that. glad to have my gas saver back. driving my 2000 silverado the 110 miles daily was taking a serious toll on my wallet.

what's everyone's thoughts on flat black for an exterior? mild drop and tinted windows.

oh, i picked up a new rear taillight panel for the hatch as mine is cracked in multiple places, as well as a GT rear spoiler, which i'm actually pretty pumped about.

no, i just put some painters tape on the hatch, put the spoiler where i wanted it and made impressions in the tape, then drilled. the factory holes are slotted for alignment, so i made mine slotted with a dremel tool. having a welder and basic fabrication skills makes doing things like drilling holes in the car not a scary thing for me. Worst case scenario, i just weld them back up, lol.

that would have been nice. i drilled, then got the dremel out and started elongating the holes till i could bolt it down and open the hatch without interference. The hatch had to be adjusted a little too to clear. at one point i got the spoiler stuck between the hatch and the roof of the car and it split the paint, but the car is going to get repainted at some point so it doesn't bother me much. it's completely unnoticable unless you're right ontop of it.

• 6 months later...

after 20,000 miles of daily commuting since July of last year, the engine caught fire on my way to work last friday. As far as i can tell, the timing belt idler pulley seized, causing the belt to smoke and eventually break. the heat caught the oil gunk on the timing cover from a long term oil leak on fire. passenger's side of the timing case is pretty charred. the timing belt cover is melted. not sure what my long term solution is going to be....it may be to part the car and buy another, lol. with my gm background, i'm very tempted to throw this spare 5.3 and t56 in the car, but i lose my front wheel assist. no decisions have been made. thus far i have pumped the fuel out of it and taken a 5 minute gander at the fire damage. otherwise, it's sitting on my trailer waiting for garage space.

sigh....

Archived