LegacyGT.com

I'm new! 95 Outback, first time owner!

sometimes we get so caught up in the problem at hand we forget to look for the other answer.

the axle stubs will snap out of the trans with the correct persuasion.

no doubt removing the fouled up pin would have been easier with the axle on the work bench.

good luck with the rest of it.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After looking at the pictures of your car and how dirty and knocked around everything was when you went to buy it. That to me would be screaming out unloved car. Hopefully it got the odd oil change. I would have gone over the engine and box with a fine tooth comb. It looks like it now has an owner that will look after it. But... is it maybe too late ?

When I found my '98 it was very clean with only 89K miles (which I ended up paying more for thna a higher mileaged car). However after I bought it I found the oil a quart low and quite dirty, so I'm guessing the engine is more like a 150K engine than a 90K engine (plenty of piston slap when cold too).

oh, are they just held in with a cir-clip?
yes.

if you pop them out,

the worst case is the cir-clip drops to the bottom of the diff,

and you just replace it and re-install the stub shaft.

but usually they stay in place on the stub and you re-use them.

oh, are they just held in with a cir-clip? this is my first experience with subaru, or japanese products in general.

I was going to mention this, but Johnegg told you first. I never bother banging the pin out because you can just pull the whole lot out of the transalxe in one piece. I've done it many times now, and you don't have to worry about any oil leaking out, it doesn't. It can be a little bit of a pain puting it back in again because of the clip that you are talking about. I don't know why they have a clip on the end of it. Some people take it off and don't reuse it. It doesn't seem to make any difference if it's there or not. In fact some makes of car don't even have them I've noticed. My GTO doesn't have them. But as you say you weren't to know.

How did you go with getting the CV shaft off the hub. I have found that they can be bastards to get off sometimes ?

An 83 Knight rider, the blue one. I used to have a silver one with a 305 motor in it. It was a beautiful car, a regret was selling it, but I got a bit pissed with it one day after the pressure plate collapsed and with the carb needing a recon and the usual engine, box and diff oil leaks, I sold it. The one thing that I don't miss about the yank cars are the oil leaks, it's the one thing that these Jap cars don't seem to do much of.

An 83 Knight rider, the blue one. I used to have a silver one with a 305 motor in it. It was a beautiful car, a regret was selling it, but I got a bit pissed with it one day after the pressure plate collapsed and with the carb needing a recon and the usual engine, box and diff oil leaks, I sold it. The one thing that I don't miss about the yank cars are the oil leaks, it's the one thing that these Jap cars don't seem to do much of.

if your suby ain't leaking, there's no oil in it ;)

i have had pretty successful history of taking a car well beyond what would be considered salvageable, and bringing it back.

409133_10150558939576947_1588112758_n.jpg

1294276_10151750108161947_1038644155_o.jpg

422464_10150558940701947_1059925299_n.jpg

988424_10152050294806947_164996167_n.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k108/mw66nova/project%20x/100_0389.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k108/mw66nova/project%20x/100_0416.jpg

Wow...the work you've done to these cars is pretty remarkable. Well done sir!

thanks guys. we (my cousin helps a bit, the white GTA is his) work very hard....all year round, lol! We haven't even owned the GTA a year yet, this winter was TOUGH to get it ready to get it out to the track in a quick manner, lol!

1902956_10151963312356947_1355082871_n.jpg

1604428_10151885429921947_2145350643_n.jpg

An 83 Knight rider,

someone say knight rider?

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img822/2308/syaq.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img853/3426/ht26.jpg

hehe have been doing some rewiring on Kitt for a few months, the dashboard was a mess and there was too much heat under it. been a fun project at my friends shop. this particular kitt model is signed by the cast and some production crew, its used for shows and movie rentals.

surprise surprise...more neglect!

10518970_10152234325841947_8316750395213211585_n.jpg

this evening i was able to get the other tierod assembly swapped, get the plugs/wires changed, did valve cover gaskets, spent some time cleaning up all exhaust flanges and reassembly with new exhaust gaskets, put new belts on, fuel/air filter, and an oil change. it seems happier, but without having spent much time with the boxer engines, i'm not sure what all i'm hearing. when i get it back on the road maybe tomorrow, i'll be able to see how it's faired the tune up. still want to take the maf and tb off and clean them all out. will also seafoam the fuel and get another fuel filter on the way as i'm sure i'll gum this one up, lol!

there should be.

check out cars101.com and see what models offered a cd player.

i have owned 97GT, 97OBW limited, 98OBW and they have all had a CD player.

there is also a 6 CD changer that may fit.

however, these factory CD players only play store CDs and they do not have a aux input.

so an after market unit may be better.

if you go aftermarket, spend the money for the harness adapter.

there are several threads about '' i just installed my new radio and now my dash lights do not work''.

save your self a headache.

Can anyone tell me if there is an OE cd player that will directly plug into my legacy? maybe something in a late 2nd gen or early 3rd or something? Thanks

http://images.craigslist.org/00l0l_3etsu6YDtq7_600x450.jpg

30 bucks local here on craigslist. i see them all the time for some reason. i actually see more subaru radio/cd players for sale than subarus.

edit:

however, these factory CD players only play store CDs and they do not have a aux input.

so an after market unit may be better.

there is a few different ways to add in an aux cable, google will show you. im too lazy to look it up again.

if you go aftermarket, spend the money for the harness adapter.

there are several threads about '' i just installed my new radio and now my dash lights do not work''.

save your self a headache.

definitely buy the harness. usually its like 6 bucks and makes install much easier.

and you are looking for a OEM radio that uses the 14-pin connector, which was used well into the 2000's. there are many options for replacement, i went with one of these for smokey

http://www2.crutchfield.com.edgesuite.net/pix.crutchfield.com/products/2012/32/130/p130X350BHS-F.jpeg

not looking to spend hundreds on a head unit, lol. i have other projects taking up my money/time/resources. This DD project is to be as low buck as possible.

i am headed to the salvage yard saturday morning. i will check to see if i can find something usable then :)

oh, and of course i'd use a harness. i'm broke, but not a hack, lol!

well, i got the rear brakes done after work today. brake job on this car is silly easy. e-brake stuff looked OK so i left it alone.

i was just about to put the car back on the ground to see how it drives after all the new pieces and i got greedy...decided i didn't want to take the car down off the jackstands only to put it right back up to fix the shifter linkage bushings (mine is the early style, uses the bushings on the shifter and trans end, not in the knuckle itself). yup, that thing whooped my ass. probably because i'm running on an average of 4 hours of sleep the last several weeks.

sooooo....this weekend i will drop the transmission crossmember, exhaust intermediate pipe, driveshaft, and get that thing off the shift rail and put it together on the bench.

stupid bushings...

not looking to spend hundreds on a head unit, lol. i have other projects taking up my money/time/resources. This DD project is to be as low buck as possible.

we just cleared out a box of old OEM decks from my friends shop, there was 2 different CD player stock subaru decks in there. one of the guys was going to sell them on CL, i can see if he still has them. not sure if shipping to you from AZ would make it worth it tho.

and my stereo was a gift, my kids put the head unit, jbl 6.5" in all doors and the 2 L5s with a jbl 1200w amp in the back for fathers day. the next weekend we added a 4 channel planet audio amp to make the door speakers loud enough to hear over the bass. now i have to figure out a way to tighten the rear view mirror, it keeps drooping down when the bass hits.

Archived