LegacyGT.com

I'm new! 95 Outback, first time owner!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have to laugh when you guys worry about your fuel usage, when it is so cheap to buy where you live. In little old NZ where I am it costs $2.22 a litre, times that by four and a half to make a gallon and that's $10 a gallon. What are you guys paying a gallon, about $4, and you worry about your usage. You don't know how good you have it.

Wow, didn't know it was that high over there!

Actually gas mileage is more relevant the more you drive. I put on over 20,000 miles a year (My commute is 80 miles round trip) so it adds up quickly.

Actually, it's not the same thing...

If he was calculating $ per mile then you'd have an argument.

Besides, you live on an island, with little or no oil reserves. You can probably drive in a 20km radius for all your needs. The states are a bit different.

You must get 50+ km/gal so you should be happy!! Lol

Another metric system joke....

Because you were all talking about gas usage. That's how the **** it was relevant pal. :mad:

Talking about is not the same as worrying about. I have a BMW X5...not a fuel efficient vehicle so I'm not worried about fuel economy. But I love to push my Outback to see what fuel mileage I can get out of it.

i drive 110 miles daily. DAILY. that's an average of 30,000 miles a year....you could say in 2 days drive time on my normal commute, you could go from your eastern to western shores of your island. 30,000miles/26 mpg is ~1154 gallons of fuel in a year. 1154 gallons of fuel at an average $3.75/gallon is $4327.50 i spend in fuel per year for my daily commute to work. that's near 10% of my salary

my wife's commute is ~70 miles daily. she has a similar scenario in fuel costs. so sir, i spend upwards of $8K US yearly in fuel cost alone, just getting to and from work. at the current exchange rate, that's approximately 9200 New Zealand dollars. how much do you spend?

that doesn't count the fuel i spend going to/from race events or the fuel used while i'm there, to/from vacations or visiting family, etc etc.

so YES, i'm EXTREMELY conscious of what i consume and how much it costs me. unless you have something real to add to my thread, GTFO.

settle down guys,

if we were serious about MPG we'd all be driving an electric car.

but there are trade offs for driving an AWD vehicle.

and another for driving a 15 year old vehicle,

and another for driving a mini van if you choose to.

each to his own.

i used to drive 30k a year, and my 95 lego sedan served me great.

low repair cost and low operating cost.

the cost of that car was less than 5 cents a mile by the time i got rid of it,

purchase price, plus MAJOR repair costs, less sale price, divided by total miles.

(gas, oil, tires and brakes not included)

but now that i'm driving less than 10k year,

i am probably NOT going to use up the 2 subarus i have on the road.

they will get old and i will tire of them,

but i'm not going to use them all up and throw them away.

too many miles left in the cars and not enough years left in me.

of course i could wreck one ,

that would use it up pretty quick.

i drive 110 miles daily. Daily. That's an average of 30,000 miles a year....you could say in 2 days drive time on my normal commute, you could go from your eastern to western shores of your island. 30,000miles/26 mpg is ~1154 gallons of fuel in a year. 1154 gallons of fuel at an average $3.75/gallon is $4327.50 i spend in fuel per year for my daily commute to work. That's near 10% of my salary

my wife's commute is ~70 miles daily. She has a similar scenario in fuel costs. So sir, i spend upwards of $8k us yearly in fuel cost alone, just getting to and from work. At the current exchange rate, that's approximately 9200 new zealand dollars. How much do you spend?

That doesn't count the fuel i spend going to/from race events or the fuel used while i'm there, to/from vacations or visiting family, etc etc.

So yes, i'm extremely conscious of what i consume and how much it costs me. Unless you have something real to add to my thread, gtfo.

FYT. That real enough for you.

played with front camber a bit yesterday. the camber was way too positive and was beginning to wear the tires unevenly already. the steering was also really "darty". it's now probably too far negative, but the steering is much more responsive to input now. i'll probably leave it for now till i can get it on a rack.

also charged the A/C system yesterday. to my surprise as soon as i introduced freon into the system it began to cool. i put about 30ish ounces in and it seems to be very happy at the moment. I will keep any eye on it as the PO said it would last a full summer on a charge. we'll see. i would love to have put a vacuum on it and found any leaks, but i don't have a vacuum pump so that would be a little tough.

haha, looks like i spoke to soon on the A/C. i had very cold A/C through yesterday morning. Drove the car during lunch and it was hot again. not sure what happened yet as there are no signs of obvious leakage (one that would have depleted the freon in just a couple hours). Not sure what's going on yet as i've not put the gauges back on to see if the system is still charged. lots of abuse and neglect on this car, so it's not surprise these systems don't work as intended. i'll get it straight one day, lol!

if this car overheats the a/c shuts down..

I have a 96 legacy 2.2 ,, all was good,,then one day after 2 hr drive my a/c shutdown ,, thought the pump crapped out..

But I checked coolant ,, and added more to the system.. and all was fine. The cooling sytem on the Subaru is weird touchy. Not like U.S. made cars.

found a tape player in the salvage yard for $15. subaru take-out from like a 98ish outback. nice piece, works well! i also got the attached 6 disc changer for $30....not as happy of experience with that piece. i think it's going to be a shelf ornament till i can kill my pride enough to throw it away, which is basically like burning 30 dollars...kinda pissy about that, lol.

anyway, the car failed the state inspection. needs a little more attention i guess. my new-to-me tires aren't going to be good enough and need replacing. the front windshield is cracked and scratched so i need a new one of those. they got pissy about an exaust leak at the cylinder head, which i'm fairly certain is a figment of their imagination. i flat-filed the manifold before it went back on, as well as roloc-disked the head, so i know it has a true sealing surface. i will probably just double gasket it and call it good enough. also dinged me for some lights out, which is crazy talk cause i made sure all the lights were working. i have't confirmed yet, but they said i have taillights out so i'll look at that i guess.

that's it for now, lol.

i would love to have put a vacuum on it and found any leaks, but i don't have a vacuum pump so that would be a little tough.

Pulling vacuum won't help you find where the leak is. It will just tell you whether it is leaking or not.

You need a dye added into the system and an UV light to find where the leak is coming from. However, if the PO was going through cans of freon every summer (which is probably not true, since the system leaked on you in a couple hours) and if all these cans were the "leak-fix type" I wouldn't even bother fixing it. Unless it is an O'ring or something really cheap. Constantly adding leak fix stuff (if that was the case) ruins the whole system.

fuggin clutch is slipping -___-

i'm a rock auto shopper. i see they have one for $112 by a company called LUK. i've never heard of this brand. any idea of its any good?

where do i buy the gasket/updated rear block cover? if i'm going to have the trans out, i want to fix any oil leaks i may have back there.

perfect. that's all i want :) i read some other reviews and apparently they're a huge supplier of OE clutches all across the board, and for stock cars, they have great reviews. for $112, ya just about can't beat it, lol

Archived