LegacyGT.com

Rough idle after getting gas?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure, think about what the cap dose. It must hold some pressure in the tank, the system is looking for a condition that it is not finding, so it will give a CEL.

I don't fully understand the system so... but think about it...

FWIW, a friends OB, she was being told it had bad cat's, someone said to replace the gas cap...fixed it. No more CEL.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Isn't the cel for loose gas cap as in air is getting into the tank? I know on my DD, leaving the cap off forces the car to run tests to see if I am running 87 or 93 octane leading me to the next question.

Another late entry pardon me. When you hand your cash or credit card out the window, do you actually observe what fuel grade button being pressed? Every single time I got my gas off base they would ignore what I just said and fill 87 telling me it's all the same. My MPG hasn't changed using base gas and I rather run base gas than the PA turnpike selections.

Can't you pump your own gas in town ?

I know NJ you can't, that's why I try never to buy gas there, the lines are way to long on the Garden State and 95. When we have to get gas the guy seems to push the right button, 93.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Can't you pump your own gas in town ?

I know NJ you can't, that's why I try never to buy gas there, the lines are way to long on the Garden State and 95. When we have to get gas the guy seems to push the right button, 93.

To the best of my knowledge I never found a self serve pump in NJ. Reason why I usually get gas on base because every single time I would get 87 no matter what. The 1st time I handed them like $10, I realized the gas needle moved too much. I was on fumes and that motor was running about 17 city so I wasn't making it to base from the hotels I stay at.

Sent from my iFail 5s using Tapatalk app

I grew up in SoCal my whole life and had no idea there were places you couldn't pump your own gas... Until a road trip I took to Vancouver in my early 20's. Stopped at a station in Oregon somewhere, pulled up to the pump, swiped the card, began pumping. The attendant came out and absolutely freaked out and berated me the whole time the tank was filling. I tried to be nice and apologize at first but the guy was having a breakdown over it, apparently he thought it was common everywhere and I was doing it on purpose to HIM. When I was done filling I said Hey, I said I was sorry, take it easy man, really- you pump gas for a living, It's not that serious! That didn't diffuse the situation for some reason and he threatened to call the police on me. That's how I learned about Oregon gas pumping.

I grew up in SoCal my whole life and had no idea there were places you couldn't pump your own gas... Until a road trip I took to Vancouver in my early 20's. Stopped at a station in Oregon somewhere, pulled up to the pump, swiped the card, began pumping. The attendant came out and absolutely freaked out and berated me the whole time the tank was filling. I tried to be nice and apologize at first but the guy was having a breakdown over it, apparently he thought it was common everywhere and I was doing it on purpose to HIM. When I was done filling I said Hey, I said I was sorry, take it easy man, really- you pump gas for a living, It's not that serious! That didn't diffuse the situation for some reason and he threatened to call the police on me. That's how I learned about Oregon gas pumping.

I learned when a NJ person made it to NoVa and couldn't figure out how to work the gas pump. I thought I was on hidden camera when they asked me how it works. Once I got stationed there I realized why that is. At least NYC nobody relies on cars because if subway so I could understand not even having a license.

Sent from my iFail 5s using Tapatalk app

i was in NJ and the guy hit the 87 button before asking me what I wanted. I sort of overreacted, making it very clear that he can't put 87 into my car, and he claimed he was just "setting up the pump" and then asked me if this was the turbo model, which i said yes, and he said his VW (can't remember which model) was turbo too and he needed the higher octane.

Merc6 - don't put 87 in your car.

i was in NJ and the guy hit the 87 button before asking me what I wanted. I sort of overreacted, making it very clear that he can't put 87 into my car, and he claimed he was just "setting up the pump" and then asked me if this was the turbo model, which i said yes, and he said his VW (can't remember which model) was turbo too and he needed the higher octane.

Both my cars are tuned for 93 octane. When I say base gas, I'm referring to a military base/post.

• 2 months later...

I kid you not I thought about this last night as I wondered how would they know what to put in, as you know they are all about speed on the njtp I figure I would say what octane I want before paying.

Jesus he should of given you a break.. that happened to me somewhat.. just crossed over into NJ from ny and did not know.. I got as far as undoing the gas cap.. I saw a water tower in the distance that said NJ.. I got back in the car.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived