LegacyGT.com

Parental Advice Thread

jasejase

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone have any good pre-k ish kindle apps? 20 hours in a car is on our schedule soon lol

Not helpful, but you don't need them. We drove 800 miles from Chicago to Ontario and Chicago to DC many many times when the gal was young. We sang songs, played I spy, other silly games. She had a lapboard (cute boy made it out of press board). She had coloring books, regular books, puzzle books for kids, etc. It is possible to do it without electronics. Neither of us sat in the back with her either. Anyway, something to think about. Good luck!

(have I mentioned all the other stuff I didn't do well??)

Anyone have any good pre-k ish kindle apps? 20 hours in a car is on our schedule soon lol

Stop every 2 hours. If the kids d is good they get a treat like black licorice. If they were bad give them a beating.

No electronics needed.

Stop every 2 hours. If the kids d is good they get a treat like black licorice. If they were bad give them a beating.

No electronics needed.

I'd like to not make this a 14 hour trip lol. Plus he doesn't really eat candy.

He's nearly 5 years old and has only been watching TV for about a year. He gets the least amount of screen time of any kind I know. Not an electronics epidemic situation. Not to mention that there are electronics the have decent benefits these days. The fact that he hasn't been over indulged, is what makes it effective.

Not helpful, but you don't need them. We drove 800 miles from Chicago to Ontario and Chicago to DC many many times when the gal was young. We sang songs, played I spy, other silly games. She had a lapboard (cute boy made it out of press board). She had coloring books, regular books, puzzle books for kids, etc. It is possible to do it without electronics. Neither of us sat in the back with her either. Anyway, something to think about. Good luck!

(have I mentioned all the other stuff I didn't do well??)

Yep. We have that and more as go to things for dinners out etc. Plan b will need to be in place as he'll be about 6 hrs sleep deprived.

You also had a she. :) from what I can see, they're a tad more cooperative at this age. He's used to being outside 2-3 hours a day. Very active! He'd play any given sport for 10 hours a day if you let him. And I was able to lol

No electronics needed.

Dude, you must be ancient. Black licorice is not a treat, it's straight from hell.

Jasejase, you ask a question like that and you will always get opinions such as those. I have 3 kids... and the wife is prego with number 4. I have played I spy, the license plate game etc till I can't stand it anymore... who in the hell wants to do that for 10 hours. Our 2 eldest use their ipods in the car on long road trips.... greatly reduces fighting... whining etc. We limit their time with electronics at home and on vacation etc because I know some days they would be on them all day if we let them but in the car... on long road trips... this is the perfect time to utilize this type of technology.

Having only one made a lot of difference, and sure the girl thing may have come into play. I'm sure you'll have a great trip, and maybe it will be the first of many.

And, in two weeks we start over with a 14 YO boy. [emoji15] Game on.

Yep. We have that and more as go to things for dinners out etc. Plan b will need to be in place as he'll be about 6 hrs sleep deprived.

I think it is a little late for "plan B" to be effective.

Possibly even illegal.

Dude, you must be ancient. Black licorice is not a treat, it's straight from hell.

Yeah black licorice is heinous and disgusting. However 9 out of 10 kids agree that it's better than a beating though!

I have no children currently, although that changes in approximately 4-6 weeks.

I do have a niece that is about 9 years old, another niece that is 3.5 years old, and will have a nephew in approximately 7-8 weeks.

So far the two nieces have escaped beatings due to the diligence of their respective parents. I have successfully made the youngest niece cry a few times by mercilessly denying her desert when she refused to eat her dinner. I once ate an entire plate of cookies in front of her to demonstrate a point that her parents didn't have the gumption to carry through with. Her wailing and lamentations were hilarious and gave me the strength to eat those damn cookies even though I didn't really want them. Incidentally she caught on pretty quick to eat her veggies and meat if she also wanted to enjoy desert if I am around.

Archived