LegacyGT.com

Parental Advice Thread

jasejase

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't let him on the computer or tablets, something me and his mom disagree with. Me being in IT and her a housewife hehe. A couple months ago I took him to Monster Jam and he's been fascinated with Grave Digger and has his mom find videos for him to watch in his room via chromecast. I'm guessing that's how he figured out the search and his mom find its easier for her let him use it for videos he wants to see and leaves him a lone with it..not sure for how long, but apparently long enough :p

Our 3 year old (4, in a couple months), has been to Monster Jam a couple times now. When he's on a kick, I just cue up YouTube on the TV, and put on a video via the TV/PS4 youtube app. He cant get into too much trouble from their. Plus the Logitech remote is confusing for most adults I know. :lol:

Our 3 year old (4, in a couple months), has been to Monster Jam a couple times now. When he's on a kick, I just cue up YouTube on the TV, and put on a video via the TV/PS4 youtube app. He cant get into too much trouble from their. Plus the Logitech remote is confusing for most adults I know. :lol:

+1 on using the TV as a babysitter

+1 on using the TV as a babysitter

Its so damn tempting sometimes! Our kid watches between 0-1 hours per day. I think they recommend under 2 hours IIRC.

When he's home from school unexpectedly, and we're attempting to work from home, that goes up a 'bit.' :lol:

It's kind of funny, because he didn't care at all about TV until he was 3 or just over. He still can only make it about halfway through a kids movie. I'm ok with all of that. I think they can actually learn from the right television programming, but most of the time, they can likely be doing something better.

Its so damn tempting sometimes! Our kid watches between 0-1 hours per day. I think they recommend under 2 hours IIRC.

When he's home from school unexpectedly, and we're attempting to work from home, that goes up a 'bit.' :lol:

It's kind of funny, because he didn't care at all about TV until he was 3 or just over. He still can only make it about halfway through a kids movie. I'm ok with all of that. I think they can actually learn from the right television programming, but most of the time, they can likely be doing something better.

We are in the 2hr per week range and its Curious George or Sesame Street.

They'll watch the same episode or same movie 672 times if you let them.

My son watched Cars 46 times over the course of 2 years. I'm either a bad Dad or a genius. This is him now at age 12.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161019/47d52913dcff65edc4830b17586a632d.jpg

Nice, race car driver in the making.

I was checking over my 4 year old daughter's K4 homework last night. She filled out a page that basically describes her. The question "What do you want to be when you grow up" Rowan answered "A dancer and race car driver". Time to get her started on something faster than the electric Polaris RZR.

After watching that crash you linked - how about both? But seriously I am envious, looks like he is having a lot of fun.

When my kids were little everyone I knew called me Captain Safety. Walking down the sidewalk I would say "look out for that plant, it could poke your eye out" and when cherry picking "only one step up the ladder, no more". I was that Dad. Totally unreasonable and utterly silly. I have come a long way to let (and be totally okay with it) my 12yo kid pilot a car at 25+ mph on a racetrack with a bunch of other kids with sometimes questionable talent, awareness, and car control. Sometimes 9 year olds.

Prior to the start of next racing season when he moves up a class, and gets closer to 30 mph per lap, maybe more, I will be getting him a NecksGen head and neck restraint system for his helmet. Adding that extra speed adds significantly to the force of the impacts into the wall and other cars, and greatly ups the chances of flips. I'd be stupid not to.

Holy shit that's deep involvement. :eek: I started reading the Novice guide and tuned out. Congrats to you and yours for the time and effort that must take with your kid. Daaaaamn.
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Holy shit that's deep involvement. :eek: I started reading the Novice guide and tuned out. Congrats to you and yours for the time and effort that must take with your kid. Daaaaamn.

It's actually not that bad, I've spent very little time reading the rules. My son's mom came to only one race this year, my wife thinks its silly to go around in a circle, and my dad has no idea about race cars and he's almost 80, so its all me and my son doing the work on the car. I bought a car that was already set up ready to go. Over the last year I have gotten to know the car well and learned a lot. The other parents in the club who are far deeper into it than me have been a wealth of knowledge and are always extremely helpful. You should find a club race near you and go to it. Make sure you hang out for a good part of the day to get a good feel for it. The clubs usually have promo days and a training program. Each club has club cars so kids can try it out, so you don't have to commit to buying a car until you're sure you and your kid want to do it.

I used to be involved in SCCA Club motorsports on a GT3 and GT4 team, so am somewhat familiar with road racing. Setting up the car for oval track is completely different, but many of the other dads own sprint or micro sprint cars and its and entire family thing, so they are more than willing to shoot the sh!t and help you get your car squared away. The car is really simple too.

Thanks! Really appreciate the time you took to write that out. My daughter is only 4 1/2 but her favorite time is "vroom vroom" on on ramps and she loves going fast in anything at all. Thought this could be cool to show her as she knows I used to do Chump Car as well and likes to ask about it.
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Archived