LegacyGT.com

**official random thoughts thread**

s2baru

Put winter tires on yesterday, got to drive on them today. Steering wheel shakes going between 40-70, 70+ doesnt shake... Out of balanced rim?

Tires: Blizzak ws70

Rims: steelies

Did you mount the wheels yourself?

And did you torque the nuts progressively according to the correct 5-point star pattern?

Also any debris between rim and hub can cause vibration.

453747.png

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did you mount the wheels yourself?

And did you torque the nuts progressively according to the correct 5-point star pattern?

Also any debris between rim and hub can cause vibration.

I did mount the wheels. I cleaned the hub before putting them on and i used the 5 star torque pattern to 85#

Your GT wheels, and tires in particular, may have adapted (read: worn-in) to the current alignment. But if they're all in great shape and don't vibrate, then it's likely the wheel/tire balance on your new setup.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

If these are directional tires - check the sidewall to be sure - The arrow points in the direction of travel. If you did "X" rotate them, then, unless you dismounted all 4 tires and remounted them, all 4 tires are now on backwards, which as you indicated, would cause some vibration. That would be the first thing to check.

Oh i did some more testing this afternoon as i couldnt get into firestone bc it was packed. I pumped the tires up to 36# and went out on the highway. The sweet spot for vibrations is exactly at 60mph. That's where it's the worse. Hit 70, and there is no vibrations above normal tiny bit. It tracks straight.

The stock tires are non-directional (on stock GT rims). The snows are directional and are on with the arrows pointing correctly forward (rotational)

So stock 2012 LGT Potenza RE050A are asymmetric tires, but did you put the Inside and Outside markings in their respective places when you swapped the tires?

Ok im an idiot... I just realized i never retorqued my lugs after takin it on a short drive. Check the fronts, sure enough, both sides were a little loose. Tightened them up, took it for a drive, smooth as silk.

So another question for yall. Currently im using the stock lugs for my steelies. They appear to be conical like the stock lugs. Should i be using a different set of lugs?

Ok im an idiot... I just realized i never retorqued my lugs after takin it on a short drive. Check the fronts, sure enough, both sides were a little loose. Tightened them up, took it for a drive, smooth as silk.

Nothing beats a method of process that promotes consistency to remove as many potential errors as possible. In other words, take your time, stop to think, don't get distracted, and do it the exact same way every time and you will never forget a step.

I usually do check the torque when i reinstall. Im not sure why i didnt. My guess is because it was snowing i didnt think about it. I am goin to run it to work and back tomorrow and recheck one more time. Then i'll do checks once a week to make sure

I usually do check the torque when i reinstall. Im not sure why i didnt. My guess is because it was snowing i didnt think about it. I am goin to run it to work and back tomorrow and recheck one more time. Then i'll do checks once a week to make sure

i keep a torque wrench in my car for the 2 times a year i change my wheels... you think that overkill? hahaha

Torque wrench - that's overkill.

An ordinary breaker bar is enough.

HAHA yea i know but its actually to only wrench i own that has the larger square drive. plus i like knowing things are spec tight and its nice not having to use a separate breaker bar.

Overkill FTW

Umm i put the nuts on with my fingers. how is tightening bolts with a torque wrench misuse? is it not meant to withstand the torques which it's designed to measure? if you over tighten are you then supposed to back it off with your regular wrench then check it again and again and again until you happen upon the correct torque level? I've had this torque wrench literally since i was 10 and it hasn't fallen out of spec once so i think I'm using it just fine