LegacyGT.com

Some oil change Q's

So, finally broke down and bought one of these, per your link. Tried to put it in during the oil change tonight, couldn't. There's a piece of framework right fricking there and it hits it when you try to screw it in. Putting the drain plug back in... again :rolleyes:

So, finally broke down and bought one of these, per your link. Tried to put it in during the oil change tonight, couldn't. There's a piece of framework right fricking there and it hits it when you try to screw it in. Putting the drain plug back in... again :rolleyes:

I just installed mine last oil change... Not much room to get a 17mm spanner on it (or was it 3/4? I don't remember), but enough to get the job done... what part of the car were you hitting?

in on this thread

my commute is shelton to west haven, 17 miles

will be doing my first oil change on my wagon using Rotella T6 5w40 ( recommendations on filter? ) and tempted to try out this Fumoto valve.. seems very handy.

will be studying the sh*t out of the oil that comes out :p

im very new with subaru, i knew my volvo whiteblocks very well but im back in school learning the different ways of these shortblocks

^ stick to OEM filters, or the Mazda filters - see this thread for more info: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/rotella-t6-5w30i-255899p2.html

"Studying the sh*t out of the oil"... as in, sending it to blackstone for analysis?

maybe not as extreme as sending it to blackstone, but mainly opening up the filter and seeing what crud the filter caught

this is the correct stuff?

https://www.amazon.com/Shell-Rotella-550019921-Synthetic-Diesel/dp/B005CHT4W6#customerReviews

fwiw i bought the car 6 days ago, and i have no idea when and what the oil change was

Check Tractor Supply or local Farm Supply they may have it for a good price too.

Hint, Tractor Supply is a nice Man's, Christmas Tree Shop...as my GF call's it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

So. Max. Is there a trick to getting this Fumoto valve screwed in, or do I just have to budget enough time at the next oil change to remove the two cross members that bolt together right in the way?

I didn't even remove my undercarriage plastic tray... just got enough of a grip with an open ended wrench to screw it in with sufficient torque.

I had no trouble putting two on the 4th Gen cars or the 2016 Outback. Didn't take any longer then putting the drain plug back in.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I had no trouble putting two on the 4th Gen cars or the 2016 Outback. Didn't take any longer then putting the drain plug back in.

Did you use a Subaru crush washer or the included Fumoto gasket?

Another vote on Fumoto - get the one without the neck, it screws right in. On the filter - I think that most non-dealer shop will way overtighten the filter and as a result destroy the o-ring on the oil cooler. This was what happened on mine - I replaced the o-ring (the only thing you might want to torque correctly is the nut holding the whole thing in place). Now everything is dry and I have a shiny Fumoto and a dry oil filter down there.

I am a tiny bit hesitant buying a fumoto valve because of ground clearance issues. I go off-road ( more like trail driving for a bit for mountain biking to get to the trail head )

how much more do they stick down than stock oil drain plug?

There is an amazon review that talks about having to raise the engine. I think if you get the version with a neck, it may hit the cross brace. I agonized over having to do that only to discover that you didn't have to with the plain version. I've put Fumotos on 4 cars now, never had any problems, although I do not go off road. The cars go through lots of snow without any problems.

I am a tiny bit hesitant buying a fumoto valve because of ground clearance issues. I go off-road ( more like trail driving for a bit for mountain biking to get to the trail head )

how much more do they stick down than stock oil drain plug?

Here's pictures, I think of the one I did on the new outback.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/first-oil-change-253396.html

Even on my 4th Gens the valve is above the under tray. If you have a skid plate, that would ad more protection.

Archived