LegacyGT.com

Magnusonsubie's 05 LGT Wagon thread.

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I'll post what pictures I have from this weekend.

Installed my VF52, GS TMIC, GS intake, JDM TGV deletes, and DW 65C fuel pump this weekend. Took all day Saturday and Sunday and fired right up after I put it together and flashed my basemap from Cryo.

Here's a before picture of a very stock engine bay.

24124846799_6b7f3ce630_b.jpg

No more intake manifold.

24491479061_14e992c9b3_b.jpg

USDM TGV's vs JDM TGV Deletes. Thinking about porting the USDM TGV's to be a "Cheater TGV" for smog where it just has the rod connecting the motor and sensor.

24278250640_48f3520d0e_b.jpg

VF40 that came out on the left and the VF52 that went in on the right. Notice the lower coolant line is slightly bent.

23945602114_fb126c4340_b.jpg

This is where the bent coolant line contacted the bracket.

23993855593_9865726c80_b.jpg

24594495816_7461394f0c_b.jpg

So I decided to create my own clearance and cut the bracket to fit the coolant pipe.

24620652615_8d39345d61_b.jpg

And then I didn't touch my camera while putting it back together. I will eventually need to remove the GS TMIC to paint on their logo and adjust the brackets and then I also need to decide if I want to modify the factory engine cover to go with the GS TMIC or if I want to get a GS alternator cover.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Thanks for all the pics and posts (including the 4th gen thread)! You are helping me a lot. I've got an AVO TMIC to go on, waiting on my vf52, need to install my GS intake, dw65c, and get my tune going with Cryo-Dave. TGV deletes and/or an elh are my main hesitation to get going. And time. Just too busy with work and snowboarding to have the subie not ready to run.

Can't wait to see how it turns out! Did you do virtual dyno runs to compare to before the parts started to fly?

My total time for this project was Saturday morning till Sunday afternoon. So plan a weekend to do it especially if you are going to take the intake manifold off to do tgv deletes. I found it much easier to work with the turbo with the intake off as well but I could see just the turbo being done without removing the intake manifold the only had part would be the oil return on the turbo.

No virtual dyno runs as I've done 2 logs back to back on the same stretch of road in the same gear and gotten vastly different results from the virtual dynos.

2005 Vader Wagon

It's also a basemap from Cryotune. Which is completely worthless to compare anything to (as it should be)

He actually nailed this base tune from what I saw driving on Sunday night. Then I realized that I had the wrong logging parameters set up so I am going to go take another log tonight but still no WOT yet but even 50% throttle getting on the freeway the GS intake makes awesome noises!

2005 Vader Wagon

And then I didn't touch my camera while putting it back together. I will eventually need to remove the GS TMIC to paint on their logo and adjust the brackets and then I also need to decide if I want to modify the factory engine cover to go with the GS TMIC or if I want to get a GS alternator cover.

Good work for a weekend! Just a thought on the TMIC - any paint you're adding is effectively acting as insulation on the intercooler, reducing its efficiency.

Good work for a weekend! Just a thought on the TMIC - any paint you're adding is effectively acting as insulation on the intercooler, reducing its efficiency.

I thought about that but I think with just a thin layer of paint it will be fine. GS sends the stencil along with their TMIC so I don't see it being too much of an issue.

2005 Vader Wagon

Next time I'm in the bay area i have to see this wagon! I'm still searching for a VF52, even a blown one i could send to JmP. Why switch to the JDM TGV deletes btw? What's the benefit over USDM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The USDM deletes require porting the flaps out and the divider plate. The JDM ones don't require any porting as they are pre-existing deletes.

2005 Vader Wagon

The USDM deletes require porting the flaps out and the divider plate. The JDM ones don't require any porting as they are pre-existing deletes.

Why get Deletes though?

(Still very new to 70% of subie modding world)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24740817335_0a51c84f67_b.jpg

24372937949_b8c9917374_b.jpg

Location is awesome. The wagon steez is on point. But something is missing...

Off camera flash. Both of these shots need some targeted fill lighting to make it pop. First one I'd try a bare flash to the left and play with the height and feather.

It's a fun hobby, but another time and money suck.

Location is awesome. The wagon steez is on point. But something is missing...

Off camera flash. Both of these shots need some targeted fill lighting to make it pop. First one I'd try a bare flash to the left and play with the height and feather.

It's a fun hobby, but another time and money suck.

Would the bare flash bring out the subtle line that goes across the doors and through the quarter more on the first picture? I'm still very new to photography and that first shot is definitely one of my better shots I've had in my eyes. I did have to edit it a bit as the blue sky reflection on my hood I didn't like which bringing down the blue made the sky grey. I need to get some better editing software.

Second shot is really dark but I didn't edit it at all.

Yes it is very much a fun hobby but does get time consuming and I can see it getting expensive!

2005 Vader Wagon

Would the bare flash bring out the subtle line that goes across the doors and through the quarter more on the first picture? ...

That's the fun part! Maybe? It might highlight things you didn't see at the time?

Both pics need better lighting to be "magazine" quality, but that's it. Great local. Great car. First one, the location and background lighting are amazing. But the car needs some lighting from the left to accentuate it. Bring up the shadows on the black car, without blowing out the highlights of the background. Master one flash before adding any others. If this was an ad for the wheels you have, 2 or 3 flashes would make it even better, but only incrementally so. I'm only ranting because it's really so good, and since you have a black car, even a $3k camera needs a bit of fill flash to make this shot epic.

If you want to get into it, and you can trigger an off camera flash with your set up, get one $70 YN560 (amazon), and you're in business. Start with one flash and a stand. Then try a reflector before buying a second flash.

Disclaimer: My friend that used to photograph for Super Street gave me many tips, but I never had a car I cared to try them on, at the time. And now I am too busy with work and my kids, so I'm an arm chair quarterback at the worst.

I did play around with two YN560s off camera flashes on my kids when they were little, and I'll toss may favorite out to attempt to give my rant some validity: Neomi and Misa, PJs hallway lightbox