LegacyGT.com

Aftermarket Headlights

I will try to get something better as I realize this sucks, but it was the best I could get on my way to work this morning. I have retrofitted HIDs in these now. Prior to replacing the halogen bulbs though, I thought these were similar to my OEM lights. The HIDs have definitely helped even though the projectors in these are not designed for HID bulbs.

How are the cuttoffs with the aftermarket with hid? Better or worse than OEM?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How are the cuttoffs with the aftermarket with hid? Better or worse than OEM?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

it wouldnt matter what headlights they were in...if he retrofitted true HID projectors the cutoff and light output would be miles ahead of anything

As I will be buying eagle eye U-bars in the near future, I am debating wether or not to open them up and install a true HID retrofit, install basic HID (ease of install) or find a good 4k-5k halogen bulb. Or..... Just install U-bars and open up oem headlamp assemblies and perform a true HID Retrofit with Halo's and blackout, then decide which one is best. The loser gets put up for sale in classifieds.

Ordered and installed the Eagle Eyes (UBar) Headlights from eBay. Look nice, plug and play but I want the UBars on as DRLs in addition to parking lights.

With my limited understanding of wiring, I am thinking of wiring two relays, one for when the parking lights are switched on, and the other when the DRLs are switched on. If either are on, then the U Bars would light up.

Is there an easier way to accomplish this instead of two relays? Any anticipated cons with this configuration?

Yeah I confirmed. They are wired as parking lights only. They come on with Parking Lights and Headlights, but not when off or in Auto mode. Didn't check high beams yet.

Not sure if the behavior is different between model years but mine is a 2010 3.6R. My high beams still come on as DRLs when the car is in drive. Planning on using the DRL connector by the resistor to set off the relay for the UBars.

Here you go guys! U-bars will light up with low beams or high beams (not with DRLs though). You can also see the lower LED bar when the turn signal is on.

This is the same for me. Did you resolve this somehow without relays or anything?

This is the same for me. Did you resolve this somehow without relays or anything?

:redface: No, I just didn't check my DRLs at the right time when I originally posted this. I was educated that, at least for the GTs, the DRLs do not come on when the car is running and the parking brake is engaged. The car must be running but the parking brake cannot be on. After learning this, I chocked the wheels and checked again to find that they were indeed lit.

Now I've disabled my DRLs entirely and rewired so my fogs are now turned on whenever the car is running. The U-bars will now turn on only when I have my parking lights, low beams, or high beams on.

I forgot that post was still out there making me look stupid!

Yeah I confirmed. They are wired as parking lights only. They come on with Parking Lights and Headlights, but not when off or in Auto mode. Didn't check high beams yet.

Not sure if the behavior is different between model years but mine is a 2010 3.6R. My high beams still come on as DRLs when the car is in drive. Planning on using the DRL connector by the resistor to set off the relay for the UBars.

Nice, you beat me to the punch Mr. Guinea Pig ;)! Need pics please! Also, are the amber markers semi-blacked out as shown in picture. I assume you bought the outback headlamps and you had to purchase the two harness's correct?

Ordered and installed the Eagle Eyes (UBar) Headlights from eBay. Look nice, plug and play but I want the UBars on as DRLs in addition to parking lights.

With my limited understanding of wiring, I am thinking of wiring two relays, one for when the parking lights are switched on, and the other when the DRLs are switched on. If either are on, then the U Bars would light up.

Is there an easier way to accomplish this instead of two relays? Any anticipated cons with this configuration?

Now im assuming these are the cheaper "anzo" ones right? any pics?

Yeah I pulled the trigger on the outback lights on ebay and am pretty happy. Install was straight forward but right light was tight requiring a little bending of metal. Plugged right into existing headlight harness. Would the additional harnesses be for wiring or mounting?

Took a couple of pics. Turn signals don't appear to be 'blacked out' but are deep and dark. The turn signal leds are mounted on the bottom of each scallop vs. the back. Seeing them from the side in daylight could be a little tricky. Will try to get DRL/Ubar relay set up this weekend.

Direct sunlight, parking lights on.

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2059&pictureid=9831

Back sunlight, headlights and signal on.

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2059&pictureid=9830

Well in that case im pretty sure im getting these bad boys!! Im just trying to figure out the difference between these and the more expensive anzo's (if there is any)....

IIFC, another member on the forum here contacted the Ebay seller and got an answer that seemed to indirectly indicate that they (the Ebay seller) was a supplier of headlights out of Taiwan and that they supplied to different companies who private-labeled the lights.

I could be remembering wrong, but I think that was the gist of it.

Well in that case im pretty sure im getting these bad boys!! Im just trying to figure out the difference between these and the more expensive anzo's (if there is any)....

Didn't you have your lights redone at Lightworkz?

:redface: No, I just didn't check my DRLs at the right time when I originally posted this. I was educated that, at least for the GTs, the DRLs do not come on when the car is running and the parking brake is engaged. The car must be running but the parking brake cannot be on. After learning this, I chocked the wheels and checked again to find that they were indeed lit.

Now I've disabled my DRLs entirely and rewired so my fogs are now turned on whenever the car is running. The U-bars will now turn on only when I have my parking lights, low beams, or high beams on.

I forgot that post was still out there making me look stupid!

jackal, sorry, not my intent! Was hoping you found a magic solution to get the Ubars to light up as DRLs. I could just wire them to the ignition and call it a day, plus install a toggle for the rare occasion I want them off. All depends on how much time I can invest but would prefer the parking light/DRL combo if I can figure it out.

jackal, sorry, not my intent! Was hoping you found a magic solution to get the Ubars to light up as DRLs. I could just wire them to the ignition and call it a day, plus install a toggle for the rare occasion I want them off. All depends on how much time I can invest but would prefer the parking light/DRL combo if I can figure it out.

Lol, no no, that was my bad! I think Nstg8r is keeping an eye on this thread and he would be a great resource to bounce your thoughts off of. He was the one who helped me get my fog lights operating as I wanted them.

I did forget to mention something during the install. There is a black rectangular box about 2-3 inches long mounted under each headlight. You need to unscrew them (two tap screws) and relocate them elsewhere (I zip tied them to some framing). They get in the way when you try to mount the headlights. That is the only 'mod' I had to do in terms of mounting. Will try to get pics when I pull the bumper off this weekend.

Lol, no no, that was my bad! I think Nstg8r is keeping an eye on this thread and he would be a great resource to bounce your thoughts off of. He was the one who helped me get my fog lights operating as I wanted them.

Not knowing exactly how the aftermarket lights are wired makes it a little difficult to figure out how to re-wire them. If they were in my hands, I'm sure I could wire them anyway people want.

IIFC, another member on the forum here contacted the Ebay seller and got an answer that seemed to indirectly indicate that they (the Ebay seller) was a supplier of headlights out of Taiwan and that they supplied to different companies who private-labeled the lights.

I could be remembering wrong, but I think that was the gist of it.

That was me and this is correct. I emailed a few of these eBay stores. There's 3 or 4 selling them. One told me most of these are made by Anzo or a similar brand and told me not to tell the world or she could get in trouble or something lol! Another told me they were Eagle eyes.

Archived