LegacyGT.com

How to BLACK OUT the headlight

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply
really?

i used 3M's blue painters tape and it didn't take any chrome off

+1 ... same here. I wonder why the difference? :icon_conf

Would have really sucked to lose chrome or whatever on the reflector area.

• 3 weeks later...
Team23jordan, WHat kind of grill is that and where did you get it? i'm also a little confused on what exactly you're supposed to paint on the light. you don't pain the clear part right, you paint he inside of the headlight. just need clarification on what to tape. thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm going to bump this and add some things since I've received a few PMs recently asking about my experience with this mod.

First off, the paint I used was "ACE" brand Flat Black from ACE hardware.

I used the oven to heat up the headlights. I don't remember the exact temperature if it was 180 or 220 that I used. I remember that I baked them for about 10 minutes each and used oven mitts to pry them open. 220 degrees should be fine. I wouldn't expect the head lights to be damaged if you drove through death valley when it's 180 out there, so Figure a few more degrees will be ok too.

To reseal the lights, all I did was press them together as well as I could, then threw them back in the oven baked them for another 10 minutes then pressed them together the rest of the way and reinstalled the hardware (torx screws). Make sure all your clips are firmly in place.

When I painted, I sanded one of the lights and didn't sand the other. I've experienced no difference in quality or durability of either and would advise skipping the sanding step because it just causes more work.

I used blue 3M masking tape to mask off the chrome parts I wanted to keep chrome and was VERY careful and slow when peeling it off. Some people have had their chrome peel. I was lucky, which is why I suggest being slow and patient when you do this.

My other advise about the masking tape is to be sure you have a GOOD exacto knife to trim the masking tape on the part of the reflector for the turn signal. A very good exacto will make this part of the job MUCH easier.

Also, the clear piece that the amber reflector mounts to seems loose in the headlight housing once the reflector is out. I used a little silicone to hold the clip of the clear piece from the rear of the housing. I should have taken a picture of this part, but I never thought of it at the time. You would likely figure it out when you are looking at it.

My final piece of advice is to make sure you have a good chunk of time available and go real slow. Slow and patient work pays off with great quality.

And if you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. If you need help with a step, I'll PM my phone number and walk you through it. :)

Debating?! If you like the look you see here, it's an evening at home with a couple beers (but not too many!) and it's dirt cheap! Practically free!

too bad you don't live in North Jersey, i'd give you a couple of bucks to do it for me hahah:lol:

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
i was going to black out my head lights then i relized that there already black guess thats because i have black lgt. felt stupid for a couple min but i got over it. they look good thou

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

i was going to black out my head lights then i relized that there already black guess thats because i have black lgt. felt stupid for a couple min but i got over it. they look good thou

its cuz u got an 05. They came with a black surround inside the headlight. My 06 on the other hand had all chrome, so I decided to black them out entirely.

Archived