LegacyGT.com

AOS vs Catch Can Reviews...

AOS Or Catch Can?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. AOS Or Catch Can?

I'm considering a Provent filtered AOS in between the inlet return and an SG Motorsports AOS (the latter similar to the Prova AOS but with a mesh screen).

The theory being the Provent should catch anything that gets past the oil cap AOS.

This should be overkill for a DD. :)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like hype...that is why I bought a Perrin. :)

Actually after seeing the milky coolant and oil mess in the crossover valve cover tubes it made me cringe.

Just the reason I would like to see improvment on this system but at this point just going to keep the PCV clean every other OCI. Pulling the IC has become second nature these days and appaud any solutions that assist removing this step.

http://www.westernfilters.net.au/provent-200-oil-catch-can-separator-mann-hummel/

A link to the Provent, it has a 100k replaceable filter that keeps the return line oil free.

These are popular with offroaders and to an extent in the VeeDub community.

Nice find, thanks. Only thing that might be an issue is the way that the EJ255 vent system works. 5 orifices, two on each valve cover and one on the block, with three returns, two in the turbo intake tube and one in the intake manifold. You might need two of these.

From looking at the diagram, you have a crossover tube from valve cover to valve cover to equalize the pressure between the two. Then a y-pipe between the two that once again goes to each valve cover and then to the turbo inlet. Like you said the y-tube that goes from the block, that contains the PCV valve goes into the turbo inlet and the intake manifold. Since the intake manifold is pressurized by the turbo, the inlet on the intake is used only in vacuum conditions. Since the turbo intake is never pressurized, it's used all of the time.

Nice find, thanks. Only thing that might be an issue is the way that the EJ255 vent system works. 5 orifices, two on each valve cover and one on the block, with three returns, two in the turbo intake tube and one in the intake manifold. You might need two of these.

The Crankcase only has three ventilation points. The other ports on the valve covers and the furthermost forward crankcase vent are all un-baffled and used to equalize crankcase pressure. You do not want to route these to a catch can, it will fill up faster than most are willing to empty it, it also takes away the designed balance system.

The smaller of the two fittings on the valve covers are baffled, while the balance ports are not.

http://www.bescaredracing.com/sti/engine/valve_cover/gasket/replacement/DSC04851.JPG

And if you ever noticed, this plate on the back of the engine is labeled "cover, oil separator". The fitting on the topside of the block where the stock PCV is connected to is where you want to connect an AOS or catch can to. The Balance system allows better oil drain back from the heads while cornering.

http://www.performanceracesolutions.com/images/D/DSC_0262-01.jpg

The Crankcase only has three ventilation points. The other ports on the valve covers and the furthermost forward crankcase vent are all un-baffled and used to equalize crankcase pressure. You do not want to route these to a catch can, it will fill up faster than most are willing to empty it, it also takes away the designed balance system.

The smaller of the two fittings on the valve covers are baffled, while the balance ports are not.

And if you ever noticed, this plate on the back of the engine is labeled "cover, oil separator". The fitting on the topside of the block where the stock PCV is connected to is where you want to connect an AOS or catch can to. The Balance system allows better oil drain back from the heads while cornering.

I've done lots of research but I've never seen that aspect explained!

Outstanding!

Since we are in the company of experts, can anyone explain why oil cap type AOS's are prone to loosing oil during track use?

Is it from the heads or ccv?

Does the issue affect all types (GS, SG, Tomioka and PROVA) ?

I have a fmic so I would have to order that one. I asked Perrin directly and the guy I talked to said they hadn't install it on a legacy yet.

You could order either. The only difference is the bracket they supply and the mounting location. With a FMIC, it goes on the center dog bone mount and with the TMIC it goes on the passanger side by the main engine harness connector.

• 3 weeks later...

That Perrin part looks nice from the outside, but if I understand that cutaway view correctly it will trap some oil in the middle of the can...

http://perrinperformance.com/files/product_assets/PSP-ENG-60X/cutaway01.jpg

See the little platform suspended in the middle of the can, with the threaded hole in the center? Wouldn't oil pool around the edge of it?

Hopefully the top of that cone is lower than the bottom edge of the cylinder that's suspended above it, else it would seem to clog itself.

That Perrin part looks nice from the outside, but if I understand that cutaway view correctly it will trap some oil in the middle of the can...

http://perrinperformance.com/files/product_assets/PSP-ENG-60X/cutaway01.jpg

See the little platform suspended in the middle of the can, with the threaded hole in the center? Wouldn't oil pool around the edge of it?

Hopefully the top of that cone is lower than the bottom edge of the cylinder that's suspended above it, else it would seem to clog itself.

True, but there seems to be a little drilled hole. About 9 o'clock position on the plate.

I have seen the Perrin AOS in person, friend has one on his 2013 STi. I have seen it installed, removed and fully apart after being used and it does work nicely. It is a quality piece. I like that the bottom can be removed easily for inspection and cleaning.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Has anyone ever used or try to adapt a KrankVent system on a EJ motor? I've never seen it used or mentioned on any Subaru forums. It's a negative crankcase evacuation system that doesn't use a PCV or a catch can of any sort,just two valves....I've used it with great success on a motor,bit it was an inline 4,not a boxer motor. Krankvent.com

Zack K.

Archived