LegacyGT.com

AOS vs Catch Can Reviews...

AOS Or Catch Can?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. AOS Or Catch Can?

No unfortunately we need a unit to separate the oil from the air. that valve isn't big enough.

Collecting the oil in a catch can is ok but can lead to starvation issues hence why a AOS system is the best for our cars hands down and i don't mean the prova/grimmspeed idea. the IAG/Crawford/Perrin/Killer B ideas are well liked and do exactly what you want keep the oil out of the intake and in the motor.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No unfortunately we need a unit to separate the oil from the air. that valve isn't big enough.

Collecting the oil in a catch can is ok but can lead to starvation issues hence why a AOS system is the best for our cars hands down and i don't mean the prova/grimmspeed idea. the IAG/Crawford/Perrin/Killer B ideas are well liked and do exactly what you want keep the oil out of the intake and in the motor.

The car I had it on came with a air/oil separator from the factory. The Krankvent completely eliminated that and the PCV valve,no catch can either. It basically sucked in oil vapors right after the TB and reduced blow by by de-pressurizing the crankcase. One might need 2 of those valves (because of 2 valvecovers). If I spent enough time looking at the OEM pcv diagrams,I bet it could be adapted....

Zack K.

Good in idea but because our head design we can push a lot of oil into the Breather system.

Regardless of the amount of oil being pushed in,the idea remains the same: The oil drain back into the block from the pcv gets closed off,and all the breather hoses get re-routed after the TB. There would be one large Krankvent on each of the valve covers,with one small one going to after the TB. Once you understand how the Krankvent system works,it's not that complicated. Maybe one day someone would be brave enough to be the guinea pig,lol.

Zack K.

That would be cool to close of the side to block off oil during cornering but during acceleration both heads can become frothy oily air mix. especially with lots of boost and i don't know if that would cause both sides of the valve to close or would the remain open due to pressure and the oily mix would just pass by.

That's why AOS systems are used on 99% of most higher powered EJ's and FA's in race events. the subaru lemons cars and rally cars have huge breathers for the CVS and they have dry sump setups as well. Drool.

For the price and what it does i have never had an issue with my IAG AOS. I have the street version too.

Dual Catch Can Install set up work for legacy gt 2006?

Someone say dual catch can setup? Here is my saikou michi dual occ. Sadly i didnt have patience to install this so i had apm tuned install it. They said it was installed according to crawford air/oil separator 3 years and still going strong. Collected bout 1 oz of oil since and i do occasional spirited driving on freeway on my way to work. cdaa9fd77f0b075fea19f1f9b78004f3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

Just an observation... the amount of oil collected after 1 year of driving is so minimal why the concern?

Create a perceived problem, then offer a perceived solution for the perceived problem. My "how to get rich in the age of Millennials" speech.

So true, yet the car looks to be track ready and the can/s may be just enough to prevent heaps of oil entering the inlet via the heads in a high-g full boost scenario, even though they're not drain-back :)

Also in the event of a breather related malfunction, seperate cans allow the issue to be traced back to either heads or ccv to help with diagnosis.

Is your compression stock (8.4:1) or are you running 10.0:1, 10.5:1, 11.0:1, 11.5:1? Does your car see WOT (regardless of multiple gears or a single gear) for over 30 seconds straight? Does your car experience turns in the 1g range at WOT for extended drives (not once)? Meaning is your car on a race track with a built motor making power and running WOT for extended periods?

If not... dont believe the hype. Two members just showed you what comes out after 1 year of daily driving.

Or you have: a stock high mile car service abused, eg blowing smoke/using oil from gummed up oil control rings etc, or a built engine with looser than factory clearances :)

If that is the case you are better served by a rebuild than by a band aid.

Natch :) whats your take on the tracking/hi-g cornering/hi-boost = outside head fills with oil issue?

Dry Sump is my take and the only one that works.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

Figured id add my exp

Ran the grimmspeed aos for several years , no issues

Met an amazing guy that builds engines daily for rallyspec

He knows his shit to say the least

He said to get the iag aos

So i sold the grimmspeed and swapped to the iag

Fun job took about 4 hours ( taking my time)

He was very adament about it

So i listened

Tho im heading towards 420 whp

So

Maybe at stock levels mikes right

But i feel great knowing ive added it for increased pressure blow by etc.

Grimmspeed is a no-no on a track car. Design causes a siphon from the pan up the fill neck. Oil starvation at WOT and hi g turns.

Take a close look at the old Crawford cars. They dumped their AOS into a catch can and emptied the catch can every session, LOL.

I hate the plumbing as it is against my OCD. So, I will take a dual catch can set up and empty it (if I ever actually needed one). I like the Radium cans.

Is that due to the ccv vacuum created by an air/oil scavenge stage?

Yes. There is no connection between the head/valve cover breathers and the air intake tract. You can cap off one set of the valve cover breathers and keep the oem balance bar setup to equalize pressures between the heads and the block. Or you can go ahead and plumb the second set of valve cover breathers as a second balance system by simply running one hose across the engine to the matching valve cover breather on the other head.

I've done both. Cosworth does just the oem balance bar and puts rubber caps on the second set of VC breathers. I expect they do that because if for some reason the DS scavenge can't keep up with blow by in the block one or both caps would start leaking pressure or even pop off and release the pressure before it blows out the main and cam seals.

Normally the caps on the valve covers are always under vacuum, so they stay put.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

• 3 weeks later...

Bought the iag as well..... its big lol, and a pain to install!!! How did you route the hoses that go to the turbo inlet? I have mine t'd into the same turbo inlet port because i ran out of Ports on my aftermarket turbo inlet.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Archived