LegacyGT.com

Aftermarket Sway Bar Fitment Issues (Progress, Perrin, etc)

Jaxx

Jeff - I agree. I was very excited about your product - the main reasons I chose them over Cusco and spent more $$ was three hole adjustability and the brackets. :(

I corresponded with my dealer and tried to resolve through them over the next week. I tried to mount them many times (including the method suggested)....I was literally under that car about 10 times over two weeks. I even tried to change the bend in a vise to give me that extra bit of clearance. After conferring with others on this board, I ended up opening up the holes with a Unibit and finally got them to fit. I pulled them off in my quest to exorcise the noise demons. (Plural because it turned out that an endlink was bad in addition to the sway bar interference).

Also - I didn't get all the parts listed in the instructions - apparently there were shims or spacers to be used, but none in the box. Maybe they weren't necessary for the Legacy application? Confusing at best.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dan,

That is good to know you tried that. There must be something with the wagon. Esspecially when they fit on our sedan.

The parts you were supposed to get are not needed anymore. Our first few bars needed some spacers for the swaybar bushings, where the newer bar has the custom LGT bushings in it.

Boulderguy,

Can you send pictures of your brackets and the where they mount to the chassis?

OK, the squeaking has begun on mine, I guess it takes a few thousand miles. It's officially awful and came on quick, more pronounced up front than in rear. Possibly from driving in the rain for a few hours (our first good rain in a few months)? Bushings were slathered in the grease Perrin sent & very quiet initially. Now they have a sound like palming a taut helium balloon. It's loud & completely unacceptable.

So I'm not about to take the car apart & ship it to Perrin over this. I'm wondering what fixes, besides removal, have worked for others. Can I just spray it down with Tri-Flow or WD40? Would rather not remove the bushings to regrease every few months. Is there a better grease to use?

This stuff.........

http://www.pimpmyauto.com/Pictures/Swaybars/DSC01985.JPG

I put it on....no squeaks for 8k miles......You have to make sure you lube everything up.....inside the bushing, the outside of the bushing...blah blah....

And squeaks have nothing to do with perrin or their product....every sway bar I've ever seen installed has squeaked unless lub'd properly. It's just like the bobcat break pads and swap'n them for stock, everyone hears sqeaks unless everything is lubed up good....and seeded prop......:D

And squeaks have nothing to do with perrin or their product....every sway bar I've ever seen installed has squeaked unless lub'd properly.

Actually, the factory bars don't make noise and they don't need to be lubed. This is a function of the durometer of the bushings....stock is squishy rubber, while aftermarket bars use hard urethane.

As someone mentioned previously, Hotckis makes a bushing bracket that has a grease fitting - bolt everything up and shoot the grease in. Very easy to re-lube later.

As for rain being an issue, it shouldn't be if enough grease was used. The AVO bushings have notches inside which help to keep the grease in place, as a smooth interior will tend to squeeze the grease out when the bushing is compressed to the bar.

One other thing to try - wrap the bar in teflon tape, then reinstall the bushings. I did this on my Perrin bar on one of my reinstalls...never had any noise issues.

• 2 months later...
Nothing to worry about though.....if you are just get some aftermarket endlinks......there are a bunch out there. I have the perrin ones to go with my perrin bars.....but they are still at a pretty good angle so they won't get rid of that......;)

• 4 years later...

11.30.2010. Called Progress today. They made me aware of previous fitment issues (i.e.

http://legacygt.com/forums/search.php?searchid=8302835

) and HAVE revised the design after this, but still need to dent in the spare tire well for the rear.

Questions for you guys:

1. Has anyone verified this revision fits well, besides the manifacturer?

2. Has anyone tried a newly revised Front and/or rear on a 05+ Legacy GT WAGON? (They did not test a WAGON and can't tell me if it will fit....they trsted for sedan only.)

The #'s stamped on my bars are: Front--> 02 151 Rear--> 02 108

• 1 year later...

I just got off the phone with Progress. They let me know that my problems can be solved by grinding the top off the bar (?) and using OEM end links.

Other aftermarket providers don't have these kind of problems. I don't know what makes Progress different. Either way, the rear isn't going to be a problem for me any longer...

Tits mcgee

Archived