LegacyGT.com

Official 3.6R Mod List

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I know this topic has been brought up before and shot down due to feasibility but I'm going to bring it up again.

6 Speed Swap.

So as we know the Legacy GT 6 Speed is a direct bolt on but the costs would be crazy high, apparently that's not necessarily true now.

The GT transmission is shared with the 2015+WRX which means their are far more of them now and they are constantly getting made...AND wrecked. I went looking online and found a 2015 WRX totalled ( so they said) with only 2800 miles on the odometer for $500. That's basically a new transmission for a steal!

Now I spoke with Al at AMR about the swap. He thinks 2-3k might be the cost if you brought them the manual and didn't buy one. He had no reservations and believed it could be done without too much trouble.

So basically 2500-4k gets you a 6 speed swap. Considering a set of brembros can run 2k plus this isn't completely crazy and is a possibility of someone wanted to do say the swap instead of a full suspension and brake kit.

Crazy I know, but not impossible.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

The transmission is the easy part. The hard part is the wiring harness, ECM, dash cluster, and everything else electronic that's expecting a 5EAT.

Also, where were you seeing that the '15 WRX uses the same transmission as the GT? As far as I've seen, they're similar, but not identical.

The transmission is the easy part. The hard part is the wiring harness, ECM, dash cluster, and everything else electronic that's expecting a 5EAT.

Also, where were you seeing that the '15 WRX uses the same transmission as the GT? As far as I've seen, they're similar, but not identical.

Thats what Al said would be the 2-3k. harnesses and the electronics.

The ratios are identical between the two transmissions. It's the same way we found the Infiniti M45 had the same transmission as the 3.6R. I would have to confirm the Jatco part but I believe they are identical.

Also the transmission was only used 3 years ( the 2.5i had a different 6 Speed) and the WRX doesn't use the same transmission as the STi. I couldn't see Subaru using 2 different 6 speeds unless they had used it already

I thought the 2.5i was the same as the GT, just with different ratios for 5th and 6th? I also kinda thought acumenhokie looked into that when he was working out how to rebuild his transmission and found that they were different.

Would definitely be cool if they turn out to be the same, though, more aftermarket parts and longer OEM support.

You're right, they are the same except for 5th and 6th but I know the ratios are identical between the GT and 2015 WRX. Can't answer as to what the differences are besides those two ratios....durability perhaps?

The 3.6R is not rev-happy, and a manual transmission may exacerbate a potential internal issue.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

The 3.6R is not rev-happy, and a manual transmission may exacerbate a potential internal issue.

The first thing that comes to mind is a Jurassic park quote from Ian Malcolm talking about the park itself

"Yes, but they got so preoccupiedwet with if they could they didn't stop to think if they should"

That said, you're right., just thought was interesting they didn't have any real concerns or hangups. No one will know for certain what side effects will occur( if any) until someone actually tries.

Trust me, there will be consequences.

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

consequences can be catastrophic...more to come.

A few hard runs are different than constant loading and downshifting on a road course while pulling G's.

11 second pass is awesome.

Any internal work at all??? Oem oil pan? Oil cooler?

A bone stock 3.6r motor is not gonna last long boosted. Maybe it is okay on the street as you cant be on it over and over again.

Edited by fredrik94087

Good that you keep it low.

I allow the transmission to upshift as some short shifts result in a double shift.

I may be adding an oil cooler as well which means relocating the aftermarket transmission cooler a bit...it all depends on what unfolds next week.

This will result in two coolers in front of the radiator which is not the best scenario.

Maybe I can ditch the oem transmission cooler and use that space for an oil cooler.

That may not be a bad idea.

Baffled oil pan in addition to the cooler would be good too.

So update on the swaybars: The rear went in just fine. The front is having much more trouble. One of the bolts to the brackets will not come out period so they had to remove the bar put the new bar and bushings in, rebolt what they could and they are welding the bracket (not the bushing) to the sub-frame.

Obviously there's nothing they can do now to put it to the way it was but does anyone know if there will be anything that I should look out for or be concerned about in doing this??

I agree, they said to get it out might damage the subframe, as it in just won't move. If they won't/can't I will have to have Rob do it next month.

edit: From what it sounds like, it actually came that way before they got it so this is something else I have to fix that the previous owner screwed up.

Edited by Golferdude1087