LegacyGT.com

Super Cheap RSB hack-grade

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh, it's not, at all... but sending a length of tubular steel bouncing down the highway after it's relieved you of your rear brake lines has got to be something close to catastrophic... at least for the car behind you. Amirong?

Lets see, so in your fantasy world, if a sway bar mount fails, the sway bar shoots forward to sever the brake lines, then breaks itself off the endlink and snakes it's way out of the exhaust that it's trapped behind? Yeaaahhh thatsss ittt. Also, all of this on a sway bar setup thats supposedly not any stiffer, yet will cause my sway bar mounts to fail instantly? :spin:

No, you're right, you don't. The sway bar isn't mounted with zip ties. It's mounted by the busings/mounts in the center and by the two bolt stubs on the endlinks. The sway bar springs onto these stubs and holds on well. The cable ties are more like limit straps that prevent it from coming off the ends.

• I Donated
Right, but, so would any other rsb, so what exactly is the big deal here? [...] Also a swaybar mount failing is far from what i would consider a catastrophic failure.

If one wants to "do it right" when one installs an upgraded RSB, one should get the AVO reinforcement brackets. Not doing so is asking for trouble. This is a known failure point on 4th gen Legacys, and welding it if it breaks doesn't work very well. And at that point, you have the equivalent of a 0mm RSB.

But hey, suit yourself.

If one wants to "do it right" when one installs an upgraded RSB, one should get the AVO reinforcement brackets. Not doing so is asking for trouble. This is a known failure point on 4th gen Legacys, and welding it if it breaks doesn't work very well. And at that point, you have the equivalent of a 0mm RSB.

But hey, suit yourself.

Is this a thread about doing it right? No. Hack is in the title. You're stating the obvious. Also, is this a thread about installing a larger sway bar and how to? Nope. It's a thread about how to hack two sway bars in the back of your legacy. Yes, we know we need reinforcements, that's been covered. You're correct, i don't disagree. However, if mine breaks, i myself will crawl under the car amd weld it myself. Why? Because i can, and it's a whole helluva lot cheaper than buying something to reinforce something that might break. This car is a daily driver, not a track day car. Note i live in alaska. There are zero tracks here.

Is this a thread about doing it right? No. Hack is in the title.

Exactly. You're doing it wrong.

Also, is this a thread about installing a larger sway bar and how to? Nope. It's a thread about how to hack two sway bars in the back of your legacy.

Why.

Note i live in alaska. There are zero tracks here.

Then why.

:lol:

• I Donated
Is this a thread about doing it right? No. Hack is in the title. You're stating the obvious. Also, is this a thread about installing a larger sway bar and how to? Nope. It's a thread about how to hack two sway bars in the back of your legacy. Yes, we know we need reinforcements, that's been covered. You're correct, i don't disagree. However, if mine breaks, i myself will crawl under the car amd weld it myself. Why? Because i can, and it's a whole helluva lot cheaper than buying something to reinforce something that might break. This car is a daily driver, not a track day car. Note i live in alaska. There are zero tracks here.

U mad bro? :lol:

Do you know how a sway bar works? Think about this:

You didn't even mount the second sway bar to the car's body using the sway bar brackets. You popped it onto the remaining threads of the endlinks and secured it from rattling around in the middle to the original sway bar.

So there's good and bad news:

1. You don't really need to worry about breaking the RSB brackets.

2. This second sway bar does little to nothing (most likely nothing) because it isn't even mounted to the body.

Good job.

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

• I Donated

You didn't even mount the second sway bar to the car's body using the sway bar brackets. You popped it onto the remaining threads of the endlinks and secured it from rattling around in the middle to the original sway bar.

2. This second sway bar does little to nothing (most likely nothing) because it isn't even mounted to the body.

Good job.

Good eye. I thought he had used two of those brackets to tie the bars together, closer to the actual mounting brackets. But, he... didn't. :lol:

Good job.

Do you know how a sway bar works? Think about this, when the main sway bar twists what happens? The other bar has to twist. Thus, increasing stiffness. Doesn't matter that it's not connected to the body, the other one has got that covered.

Do you know how a sway bar works? Think about this, when the main sway bar twists what happens? The other bar has to twist. Thus, increasing stiffness. Doesn't matter that it's not connected to the body, the other one has got that covered.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Haha you guys are funny. You really should be careful what you laugh at, because it can make you look very, very dumb. This isn't a new thing, many other cars with less aftermarket availability do this (albeit, with some better clampage). Also, why? Because i enjoy throwing my car into a corner. It's a 2.5i, that's all i can get hahaha

I do. The original sway bar is going to twist. It has to because it's mounted to the car's body. The second sway bar isn't forced to twist because it isn't mounted to anything. It's just going to move up and down and put weird tension on the original bar where they're clamped together.

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

• I Donated

From Wikipedia:

The bar resists the torsion through its stiffness. The stiffness of an anti-roll bar is proportional to the stiffness of the material, the fourth power of its radius, and the inverse of the length of the lever arms (i.e., the shorter the lever arm, the stiffer the bar). Stiffness is also related to the geometry of the mounting points and the rigidity of the bar's mounting points. The stiffer the bar, the more force required to move the left and right wheels relative to each other. This increases the amount of force required to make the body roll.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sway_bar

So you're getting a little bit from your second RSB, but not much.

Haha you guys are funny. You really should be careful what you laugh at, because it can make you look very, very dumb. This isn't a new thing, many other cars with less aftermarket availability do this (albeit, with some better clampage). Also, why? Because i enjoy throwing my car into a corner. It's a 2.5i, that's all i can get hahaha

Hey whatever you can do for next to nuthin...I can dig that but it would suck if it ever fell off and f'ed the car behind you. But good luck and safe riding. I enjoyed this chain very much...everyone here really seems to care about doing it right. That I can appreciate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived