LegacyGT.com

Will the dealer firx this?

So I am reopening this. Its been like three months since I had the part replaced...and it did it again!?!? Is the damn part just made wrong? This time I can push it back up so it is flush, but then it is no longer flush with the passenger side trim piece, and there is considerable flex in the right side of the center console piece in question. If I put some force down on the right side of the piece, it snaps back down into the original position (see first pic in this thread). This center piece is just pissing me off. It shouldn't warp/flex/whatever due to the weather. I don't have anyother plastic in this car affected by the weather, this shouldn't be either.

Does anyone out there have an '06 with this problem? Maybe it was fixed?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
To take it apart, just lift up right infront of the seat heaters. There's two white clips that hold it in place. I bet the right clip is gone. The clips themselves just slide onto the shifter bezel and are barely held on. I bet they just fell off or broke. I had to get the little white clip and put it on because mine was missing after my short throw was installed.

To take it apart, just lift up right infront of the seat heaters. There's two white clips that hold it in place. I bet the right clip is gone. The clips themselves just slide onto the shifter bezel and are barely held on. I bet they just fell off or broke. I had to get the little white clip and put it on because mine was missing after my short throw was installed.

Chris...talk to Pat and Joe about this. This is the second time they had to replace the clip. They ended up ordering me a new trim piece.

• 2 months later...

Alrighty...once again...resurrecting this one. The dealer ordered another part for me and put it in. This time it wasn't even flush immediately after I received the car back, which confused me since the part was brand spanking new. I then reread this thread, and stumbled upon the above quoted post. I pull up the panel, and low and behold, I have NO white clips whatsoever. I am thinking that the teeny amount of space that the clips provide is enough to keep things flush. So my question to all those who might still be remotely subscribed to this thread...if you have this problem, can you pop up the panel and see if you have All your clips, one clip missing (specify side), or both missing. There were some links to trim removal, and in those pictures (STS install specifically), there is a clean shot of the clips in question. I think those with an 5EAT, might not have this problem, since the bezel is different, but those with the 5MT please respond. Its really easy to pull up the bottom part of the panel. All I had to do was hold bottom part, kinda through the boot, and pull up. Thanks!

I think those with an 5EAT, might not have this problem, since the bezel is different, but those with the 5MT please respond. Its really easy to pull up the bottom part of the panel.

I have a 4EAT and my bezel leans like yours does. I've already had mine replaced once already. My replacement part has been sitting at my dealer for months now. I've been so busy at work that I haven't had a chance to get over there and have it replaced.

Mine has the same gap on the right.

Gonna open up the console soon and see what little POS clips are supposed to be holding this piece in place..

Given that a bunch of us have had this condition since day one, I think this is another example of sub-standard build quality when compared to the products that have come out of FHI Japan. I can already see that the '05 LGT I have now is clearly of somewhat lower overall quality than the '03 Forester and the '90 Legacy LS I've owned previously.

But I still can't get enough of that BOOOOOOOST!

Well, I went to the dealer, got the two clips, put them in....still have the gap. After closer inspection it seems like the tab that clips down and secures the right side of the panel is too low, so that entire right side sinks down more. I don't know what I am going to do about it, maybe some rubber strips to buffer the gap. I just have to find the right place to put it on.

Gonna try ChruiSSers advice, but it sounds like that didn't completely work for you? Maybe there are some more broken clips than the one at the base of the panel.

This thread from dimil is telling: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1626

Check it - no gap before installation. Lovely gap on the right side after.

Did he break a clip somewhere up on the top of the right edge? Gotta be, right?

I should have some time to fish around in there tomorrow ...

Mine is like that as well. I do have the subwoofer installed. I went to the dealer and all the did was pop it back in, which it stayed in place for am onth or so. To me it happened the first time the car was left sitting in a parking lot in the middle of the day with the sun beating on it and 80+ degree weather. It has never been right after that. I really do not worry about it anymore, but maybe I will take a look at it soon and see if I have missing clips or not.

GL

X

---

I don't think anything else is broken. I can get it so there is no gap, but the spacing between the bezel and the right trim piece is all wide, so obviously, the bezel needs to be flush against the trim piece...I press down, and voila, the right side droops, but it is flush against the trim piece. I either some clip broke on the right hand side, something got warped, or it is just made wrong. If anyone goes to a dealer anytime soon, check out the new cars. Can you push down on the right hand side of the bezel and droop the right? Actually, that isn't really a good idea, the dealer might not like you breaking things before they are sold, don't do that. Ha Ha.

Also, if you notice, dimil doesn't have the white clips that we have discussed. Either he kept them attached to the bezel, or just doesn't have them.

What is going on here????

:iam:

• 5 weeks later...

UPDATE: I started a thread like this since when I searched I didn't use the word bezel but rather "shifter surround" and other words. oops! :D So, yeah, I'm having the same issue, see below:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32042

As laz mentioned, it happened the first time it got really hot. They fixed it, after two tries, and then it just happened again yesterday when it hit about 75-80 here in Seattle. What I noticed, and you have said this also psu, is that the wood trim piece goes WAAAAYYY right when the bezel around the shifter is flush with the bezel around the HVAC console. WTF??? Check my pics and you can see what I mean. You can't see the trim piece gap because the bezel pieces weren't flush at the time. When they "fixed" it the trim piece had a huge gap... arrrrggh! I'm still under warranty so I can keep going back over and over again for another 16,000 miles but I was hoping I could educate them the next time and have them do it RIGHT! :lol: Any luck with you guys yet?

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

This is the thread that keeps coming back!! Its funny you posted this today. I went to the dealer to get a new trunk mat...the plastic hanger piece broke, so I went there to tell them to order a new one for me. At the same time, I told them about the bezel again. Previously, I was resigned to the fact that it might just not be fitting right, but then I went on the Socal Fun Run this weekend, and in meeting with these other LGT owners, NONE of them had the misaligned bezel. So I went back to the dealer with the "look, these people all have properly aligned bezels, and all of them have '05s with more miles on than me, so it isn't an "over time the plastic just warps thing". I told them that there must be something else that is either broken or not installed properly. The part is the second part that I have received new, so it can't be the part that is messed up, it just can't. That would mean that these "new" parts are really defective to begin with. In talking with some of the other owners this weekend, I might go an rummage around the side trim pieces, or even maybe the stereo. I'll have to take a look at the vacation pics. All the other pieces "look" to be aligned correctly, but who knows, it is always good to double check. It's good to know that you seem to be as adamant in fixing this problem as I am. Hopefully two heads are better than one! They said that they will look at it when the mat comes in.

Look at the jazzy installation instructions. I bet you can loosen the HVAC/head unit a bit, adjust its tilt a little, and then tighten the screws and even up that gap.

^ I'll mention that to the dealer. I just don't wanna mess with it too much since it's still under warranty and... in all honesty... it's still their deal to fix it. :D
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Yea, yea, I love the GT. I would love to own one. But try driving one around alaska, and going camping and stuff. The OB works a lot better for me. If I lived in the states, the GT would of been the choice. But the OB XT is close.

Awww, you know I had to say SOMETHING in our defense after the "charge you any extra for that feature" comment!!! :D I agree, the extra height is good in AK.

Mine was like that too, and I took it in to be fixed twice.

The first time they bought a new bezel piece and that didnt fix it. They then ordered me a new piece to clip the bezel into, and it worked perfectly. The receipt says "Replaced center console side trim piece.

Mine went from being like that to being really tight. It also stopped rattling.

Anyone in CT or RI might want to try Reynolds' Subaru in Lyme, CT. They fixed it for me for free and were very helpful.

-Sean

The first time they bought a new bezel piece and that didnt fix it. They then ordered me a new piece to clip the bezel into, and it worked perfectly. The receipt says "Replaced center console side trim piece.

Anyone in CT or RI might want to try Reynolds' Subaru in Lyme, CT. They fixed it for me for free and were very helpful.

-Sean

Yeah that is my next bet. I am assuming they replaced the trim piece on passenger side? There might be a clip there that I am missing.

-Sean

Yeah that is my next bet. I am assuming they replaced the trim piece on passenger side? There might be a clip there that I am missing.

Archived