LegacyGT.com

Looks like Tribeca is done.

hmmrdwn

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's also no room for the tribeca with how the legacy/outback platform is evolving. It's just getting bigger and bigger. I imagine in the next couple of years, the outback will come with some foldaway 3rd row seating.

The Exiga already exists in Japan.

out of the 5 subarus I've owned (05 legacy gt, forester, Baja, wrx ltd, Tribeca), the 2008 limited Tribeca had the best interior and could pull a boat without any problem.

the mid seat moves back and forth, so the 3rd seat can have more room. we've got 70k on our suv and love this car. it really drives well, has decent power, feels upscale compared to the other subarus, and feels like a real suv, unlike our forester.

I have 2 kids and they fit comfortably in the back, while my parents stay in the mid row, while me and the wife are up front when we take a short trip or go out to eat. the Tribeca is a great car and a great break from driving after going around town in my modded limited 2011 wrx.

if they can update the styling, have more cubic space, and get better mpg, the new Tribeca would be even better.

That Exiga reminds me of the old friggin' pimp up lowered minivan. Not my taste.

I am in the market for a Subby SUV. Something about the Forester just does not sit well with me.

I will hope for the best that anything replacing the Tribeca is one of a kind.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: wondering if it was a mistake selling my Toyota 4runner.

That Exiga reminds me of the old friggin' pimp up lowered minivan. Not my taste.

I am in the market for a Subby SUV. Something about the Forester just does not sit well with me.

I will hope for the best that anything replacing the Tribeca is one of a kind.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: wondering if it was a mistake selling my Toyota 4runner.

;D I don't care if it's being considered by you or not. I was responding to someone who didn't know the "Outback" technically might as well come with a fold away third row since the Exiga does in Japan.

That's my concern, that they'll attempt to bring a down-graded, rebadged Exiga to the U.S. Didn't like it when it first came out, still don't.

I am keeping a special lookout for a low-mileage 2010+ Tribeca Touring to be out boat / trailer hauler and all-round SUV. Almost bought a 2008 in San Diego before we moved and kind-of glad we didn't, although it outshone everything else in its class at the time, especially in power, handling and utility, including the Lexus RX that we cross-shopped it with. It out-handled the RX and power was certainly equal-to, if not better than, everything else.

I really do hope that SOA finds a decent replacement for it. I suspect that it's well into the works, but would love to be surprised and impressed with a 5-star winnah.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Even if they do bring the Exiga to the USDM it won't be the three row replacement for the Tribeca.

Subaru realizes why the Subaru Outback and Subaru Forester are so successful. Especially since with each generation the rear leg room inside the Subaru Forester and Subaru Outback increases. Of course that isn't the only thing they worked on with the SJ as I'm sure most Subaru enthusiasts noticed. That success will definitely not be wasted on the three row replacement unless Subaru intends to do, once again, poorly in the three row SUV segment.

It would be obvious Subaru why the competitors are winning when it comes to the Subaru Tribeca vs. every other three row SUV. That is, as far as number of vehicles sold.

I'm just more worried about the MPG requirements and what Subaru will prioritize as far as what to work on far as a three row SUV.

;D I don't care if it's being considered by you or not. I was responding to someone who didn't know the "Outback" technically might as well come with a fold away third row since the Exiga does in Japan.

My bad. I was expressing my thoughts about the Exiga. Did not know that you have a sensitive spot for it.

"That Exiga reminds me of the old friggin' pimp up lowered minivan. Not my taste." I don't think US is ready for the Exiga.

My bad. I was expressing my thoughts about the Exiga. Did not know that you have a sensitive spot for it.

"That Exiga reminds me of the old friggin' pimp up lowered minivan. Not my taste." I don't think US is ready for the Exiga.

You're damn right it was your bad. Don't underestimate soccer moms and their lowered minivans. You haven't seen raging hormones until you've met a raging pregnant woman. :spin:

But it's a good thing we totally care what you "think" the US is ready for. :eek: Wait, you can think? :eek::eek::eek: That's news to me.

Fortunately, the Exiga is a separate platform from the Legacy/Outback platform, so it has room for plumping and fatting-up for the USDM. Current Legacy/Outback (BL/BM) platform has pretty-well stretched the limits of the existing drivetrain (since it borrowed heavily from the Tribeca's development - which borrowed heavily from the 4th Gen Legacy/3rd Gen Outback platform).

So the next-gen (as yet only "Tourer" identifier), could very-well be something entirely different, or just a softening, and smoothing of the existing platform - given that the U.S. market has given it a solid "two-thumbs-up" sales approval.

That said, it does leave an opening for a bigger Tribeca SUV replacement. Can only hope it will be something that is ground-breaking versus evolutionary, i.e., under 4,000 lbs, hybrid-capability (if desired), advanced AWD, etc. and that recaptures and reincorporates Subaru DNA into a visually-appealing, utility-flush, highly-capable SUV. Probably too much to ask for, but they've done it a couple times, so here's hoping they can do it again.

Fortunately, the Exiga is a separate platform from the Legacy/Outback platform, so it has room for plumping and fatting-up for the USDM. Current Legacy/Outback (BL/BM) platform has pretty-well stretched the limits of the existing drivetrain (since it borrowed heavily from the Tribeca's development - which borrowed heavily from the 4th Gen Legacy/3rd Gen Outback platform).

So the next-gen (as yet only "Tourer" identifier), could very-well be something entirely different, or just a softening, and smoothing of the existing platform - given that the U.S. market has given it a solid "two-thumbs-up" sales approval.

That said, it does leave an opening for a bigger Tribeca SUV replacement. Can only hope it will be something that is ground-breaking versus evolutionary, i.e., under 4,000 lbs, hybrid-capability (if desired), advanced AWD, etc. and that recaptures and reincorporates Subaru DNA into a visually-appealing, utility-flush, highly-capable SUV. Probably too much to ask for, but they've done it a couple times, so here's hoping they can do it again.

Depending on the success of the Crosstrek Hybrid, I wouldnt be surprised if they tried to push this. they will probably try to offer an outback or forester with the hybrid and if it sells well, i wouldnt be surprised if the 3rd row will offer an optional hybrid system.

MPG due to their awd has always been a negative of subarus to the average consumer shopping against like a Pilot or civic but now mpgs are getting better with subaru, which will make them more competitive in the future imo

and for reference, never thought the tribeca was a bad car or bad looking car, i can just see why it didnt do as well as say the forester or outback. most ppl who buy it wont be taking it offroad much too. the ones that do, love it because it has symmetrical awd

The Justy was Subaru's late-1990s foray into the USDM sub-compact market, having had a number of compacts in the U.S. and other markets. The Justy just wasn't "gutsy" enough for the USDM and the ECVT did Subaru no favors. That it was a 3-cylinder transverse-mounted Daihatsu-derived mill, didn't help. One the positive, "fortunately" side, the ECVT DID teach Subaru something about how NOT to build CVTs, so when they engineered their latest variant, they built it right. Other MFGrs are taking strong note of Subaru's new-gen CVT development.

Likely, the Tribeca-replacement will be an H6 (hoping) with the HD-CVT drivetrain.

The Justy was Subaru's late-1980s foray into the USDM sub-compact market, having had a number of compacts in the U.S. and other markets. The Justy just wasn't "gutsy" enough for the USDM and the ECVT did Subaru no favors. That it was a 3-cylinder transverse-mounted Daihatsu-derived mill, didn't help. One the positive, "fortunately" side, the ECVT DID teach Subaru something about how NOT to build CVTs, so when they engineered their latest variant, they built it right. Other MFGrs are taking strong note of Subaru's new-gen CVT development.

Likely, the Tribeca-replacement will be an H6 (hoping) with the HD-CVT drivetrain.

Fixed... It was in the late 80's. Getting senile?

453747.png

I hope whatever Subaru decides to go with with new Tribeca, if at all, has nothing to do with Exiga. There were rumors of Tribeca development based on Toyota Highlander, sounds more attractive to me.

For next gen Tribeca to be successfull it will need to kill it at the fuel dept. I think DI H6 with HD CVT should do, and any hybrid will surely be a big plus too. Should such a vehicle come from Subaru I will upgrade in a heart beat.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

I can not see mechanically how Subaru can use the new Toyota Highlander as a replacement for the next large SUV. Unless i am misinformed, the new MY14 Highlander will still use a transversely mounted V6. How will they put a longitudinal boxer motor in that? It would be easier, and scarier for us Subaru fans, for Subaru to rebadge the Highlander.

Also I would not discount the FA2.0 Turbo with the HDCVT, assuming we get a smaller Exiga sized car.

I hope whatever Subaru decides to go with with new Tribeca, if at all, has nothing to do with Exiga. There were rumors of Tribeca development based on Toyota Highlander, sounds more attractive to me.

For next gen Tribeca to be successfull it will need to kill it at the fuel dept. I think DI H6 with HD CVT should do, and any hybrid will surely be a big plus too. Should such a vehicle come from Subaru I will upgrade in a heart beat.

Personally I don't think that the Exiga is going to be seen outside Japan, as I see it it's more a car based on the Legacy Wagon that has been given a bit more ceiling height and an extra seat row.

If they are going for a new generation Tribeca it's more likely to start from the current Forester and be more SUV like.

If anything I think that the Exiga might work in Europe where wagons are a lot more attractive, but it's too much of a wagon for US customers that for some obscure reason dislike wagons but love SUV:s.

453747.png

I completely agree on the Exiga and equally hope that there is no Toyota "anything" in the follow-on replacement. Besides the fact that the latest-gen Highlander is, IMHO, uglier by far than the Tribeca in either pre- or post 2008 configurations, it's a a glorified transverse-mounted, FWD Camry with cobbled-on AWD. So making that work with a longitudinally-mounted Subaru H6 AWD system may be more pain (hope, hope, hope) then it's worth. The Highlander's frame would not support this as the subframe supports the drivetrain, unlike the frame-mounted Subaru setups.

I can not see mechanically how Subaru can use the new Toyota Highlander as a replacement for the next large SUV. Unless i am misinformed, the new MY14 Highlander will still use a transversely mounted V6. How will they put a longitudinal boxer motor in that? It would be easier, and scarier for us Subaru fans, for Subaru to rebadge the Highlander.

Also I would not discount the FA2.0 Turbo with the HDCVT, assuming we get a smaller Exiga sized car.

If the MPG numbers for both the H6 and FA2.0 turbo are similar to the Ford Explorer's situation, I can see a justification for the FA2.0 in the Tribeca replacement. A H6 is definitely required though, I would have to say, in the size segment the Tribeca replacement intends to compete in. Honda, Toyota, and Ford have made sure of that.

Archived