LegacyGT.com

Looks like Tribeca is done.

hmmrdwn

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like their logic:

"We've had many complaints that the Tribeca was just too small compared to its competitors, so we'll take the Exiga, which is even smaller yet, and make a Tribeca replacement out of it. That'll give them something to complain about!"

Here's the thing. We own 07 B9 Limited and we love it. it rides great and handles like nothing else in it's price range. It's roomy enough for 5 people and lots of stuff or 5 people and 2 kids in the back. I really like that it feels like a big car rather than a mini-van. It's great in dry weather, and with winter tires it's great in any winter weather as well. Once you know that it prefers smooth acceleration rather than pedal-to-the-metal driving style, you can discover that it's a really fast car as well.

There are only few shortcomings that I personally felt Subaru needs to fix, namely third-row seat space and tranny programming. with redesigned Tribeca Subaru even fixed the tranny and and somewhat improved the 3rd row seating as well. I happened to take the interior apart at some point and I could see that Subaru has a lot of possibility for better, roomier interior just with smarter packaging.

now, with DI engines and CVT being a success what's the problem creating a good Tribeca's replacement? Original one was created on Legacy's platform. Just do the same thing now and simply account for mistakes and lessons learned this far. Here's what the recipie could look like;

1. use current Outback platform and stretch it to create bigger floor plan for 3 row vehicle

2. Use high-torque CVT

3. Offer 3 engine choices: current 4 cyl DI, new 6 cyl DI, and possible some hybrid

4. Create visual design somewhere between too Euro B9 (pre-07)and too generic Tribeca(post-07)

5. Use some highly desired and well known safety gizmos such as Eyesight

6.F&ing advertise the car!!!!

How hard is the above to execute? Is it too unreal? Do you think it won't sell??

Why Exiga?????

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

The Mazda 5 doesn't sell as well compared to 6+ seaters but I haven't actively looked for news regarding how it's doing in comparison to the rest of Mazda's USDM lineup.

I'm sure Subaru realizes the Exiga isn't properly sized for Americans even if the third row is meant for kids in mid-sized SUV's these days. Let's hope the third row is more usable than the pathetically redesigned MDX.

Why Exiga?????

They will base it on the Exiga, same as the Tribeca was based on the Legacy/Outback. The Exiga is a larger platform than the Legacy, which means that using that base it is easier to grow a new body suitable for the future design that is larger than the current Tribeca and may attract more buyers.

As long as they can provide a competitive fuel economy from it and a decent design I don't see that it would be a complete failure. Put a H6 diesel combined with the CVT and you will have something able to pull a whole kindergarten around.

453747.png

Now that makes sense! ^^^

I couldn't wrap my head around why they would use the Exiga when it's smaller than the Tribeca, but your logical explanation got through to me. Duh!

After seeing that Outback-modded Exiga that's going to be shown at the next auto show (Crossover 7 Concept), I was having nightmares that it was going to be our new 7-passenger Tribeca replacement.

So if they grow the new Tribeca from the Exiga by the same percentage the current Tribeca grew from the current Legacy/Outback platform, it should be big enough for Americans (and other large peoples).

Exiga chassis fits between the Impreza (2010+ built off 4th Gen Legacy), and 2010+ 5th Gen Legacy, longer wheelbase, but not as wide as the 2006+Tribeca. So if they were to widen the Exiga and use it's wheelbase to gain the extra room for a full 3rd-row config with room for storage in the rear. I prefer the width, dimension of the Tribeca, so I hope that doesn't change too much. Gaining additional storage behind the 3rd row would be nice.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Yeah - think the current Tribeca uses the 16.9 gal tank from the 4th gen Legacy platform IIRC. Next iteration should easily have room for the 5th gen's 18.9 gal or larger IMO.

...hopefully the Tribeca's replacement will improve on what the Tribeca does well for its class (specifically handling). I really enjoy our MY13 Tribeca (which surprised me), but would gladly trade it for something more spacious.

Yeah - think the current Tribeca uses the 16.9 gal tank from the 4th gen Legacy platform IIRC. Next iteration should easily have room for the 5th gen's 18.9 gal or larger IMO.

It also depends on the fuel economy of it makes sense to have a bigger tank.

453747.png

Given that the Tribeca isn't known as a high-mpg SUV, the smaller(ish) fuel tank required more fill-ups which is perceived by consumers to be less efficient if that makes sense. If they get the replacement into the high teens/20s, then something in the 16.9 gal size might be okay. Still, an 18-20 gal tank would go a long way toward increasing the "legs" on a trip, as it has on the 5th gen Legacys.

There's your 7 seater replacement, great MPG too I bet:

http://cs10303.vk.me/u1289152/-14/y_6df21f99.jpg

:lol: at the ingenuity. Probably will run for days on just beans.

The vehicle can. The people can't. Not when someone plays motorcycle vs. car. :rolleyes:

I'm wondering how they'll design the 7-seater with IIHS crash test standards in mind. Please no more rising belt line with a sloping roofline. Infiniti, Acura, and Audi love their styling and suck at carrying things, including people. The Q7 isn't meant to carry 7 passengers. It's meant to carry 5 European sized people and two children, not teenagers but children.

;D I have to wonder if Subaru realizes that children grow up and their loyal customers won't buy another Subaru just because they consciously designed the 7-seater as a 5+2 children instead.

Toyota's horrible payload on their vehicles excluding the trucks is pathetic, especially on the Land Cruiser which is embarrassing if any competitors brought that to light.

I'll take a Land Cruiser's capability (and reliability) over almost anything else out there. It's tow-rated to 8200 in base form but comes at a horrible gas penalty 13mpg city, 18mpg hwy. If I were towing a boat around town or to the lake, it would be the perfect hauler, but the Tribeca could do the same thing with 50% of price of entry, and higher gas mileage.

I'll take a Land Cruiser's capability (and reliability) over almost anything else out there. It's tow-rated to 8200 in base form but comes at a horrible gas penalty 13mpg city, 18mpg hwy. If I were towing a boat around town or to the lake, it would be the perfect hauler, but the Tribeca could do the same thing with 50% of price of entry, and higher gas mileage.

If I had the money to buy a boat AND a Land Cruiser, I'd rather spend it on a roomier competitor like a Suburban. 8 occupants with the Land Cruiser's payload is just not cutting it in my opinion. I love the Land Cruisers my relatives buy but, if I'm buying a Land Cruiser, I'm not someone who is going to subjugate my third row passengers to dieting just to ride in my car.

I'll take a Range Rover's capability over the Land Cruisers reliability.

RR vs LC capability = draw (with possible slightest of edges to RR) in my opinion. And no you can't bring a Defender to the playpen. This is new MY capability. YMMV.

RR vs LC reliability = hands-down LC, with RR no where in the rear-view mirror :lol:

RR vs LC capability = draw (with possible slightest of edges to RR) in my opinion. And no you can't bring a Defender to the playpen. This is new MY capability. YMMV.

RR vs LC reliability = hands-down LC, with RR no where in the rear-view mirror :lol:

You are most definitely welcome to believe that. :rolleyes: Other peoples' thoughts on reliability has no bearing on how reliable my car is actually is.

You are most definitely welcome to believe that. :rolleyes: Other peoples' thoughts on reliability has no bearing on how reliable my car is actually is.

I agree about personal reliability, it is what it is for each owner. But the plethora of bad reliability reviews on prominent long-term owner-use websites, and the huge amount of low-mileage ones for sale seems to indicate otherwise for the most part.

So what do we honestly think will be the next Tribeca and how will it look/perform relative to the current version? Definitely don't want to see Subaru go the route of the SVX with this model... there's too much good about it to let it go quietly into the woodwork.

I would like the following to be kept/improved upon:

- interior design;

- second row to be movable/flat foldable;

- third row to be flat foldable;

- roof vents for AC;

- separate AC fan/unit for 2nd/3rd row;

- keep perforated leather;

- handling and braking(thank you Subaru!);

- sunroof;

- rear-view camera with guide lines;

- improved noise insulation;

- cell phone integration standard(BT, streaming);

- 18 inch wheels.

The following I would like to improved a lot/redesigned:

- 3rd row seats have to be comfortable for adults(it's kids place right now);

- bit more storage behind 3rd row;

- rear-view mirrors to be bigger for US(EDM was getting post-07 mirrors from the beginning);

- HIDs with leveling to be an option in US(again, EDM was getting them from the beginning);

- separate temp settings for rear passengers;

- option to sync temp settings for HVAC between driver/passenger/rear(copy from Toyota);

- bigger gas tank;

- regular gas for the engine;

- HT CVT or 5/6 speed auto with proper programming for spirited driving;

- DI 6 cyl engine, with hybrid as option;

- put guards mesh behind front grill/bumper openings like on all modern Subarus;

- may be panoramic sunroof?;

- little bit more leg/shoulder room in front seats;

- entertainment system should be BlueRay and USB/CF media compatible;

- EyeSight system standard;

- exterior styling somewhere between original B9 Tribeca and current Tribeca.

I believe Subaru has a good base with Tribeca. I haven't heard people complain a lot about Tribeca, most owners like it a lot and chose it over other competition.

Archived