LegacyGT.com

Looks like Tribeca is done.

hmmrdwn

Another option to improve Tribeca would be addition of EyeSight system. Family-oriented buyers like me would love to have an SUV with such a safety option proven to be the best on the market.

Sometimes it is little things that make the difference.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another option to improve Tribeca would be addition of EyeSight system. Family-oriented buyers like me would love to have an SUV with such a safety option proven to be the best on the market.

Sometimes it is little things that make the difference.

If they do bring back the Tribeca or some new name 3 row SUV Im sure they will offer the EyeSight. They probably never added it to the current one because they knew it was on its way out.

I have been reading a lot about the EyeSight system and I know that if I get a Forester, or a new 3 row Subaru SUV i am going to get the EyeSight.

I had a long drive in rental 2012 Kia Sorento. It had better acceleration and gears were shifting faster than in our 07 Tribeca. However, I didn't like how it was taking turns at decent speed and how the car acted during spirited acceleration and decelaration.

It's hard to beat the confidence a well executed AWD gives you. Damn Subaru knows that most of us will be coming back to them like drug addicts...

I had a long drive in rental 2012 Kia Sorento. It had better acceleration and gears were shifting faster than in our 07 Tribeca. However, I didn't like how it was taking turns at decent speed and how the car acted during spirited acceleration and decelaration.

It's hard to beat the confidence a well executed AWD gives you. Damn Subaru knows that most of us will be coming back to them like drug addicts...

Kia is still cutting corners and it's been showing up in the news. Owners can attest to the "cutting coners" are showing up in long term reliability. The Kia Sportage SX is enticing but DynaMax AWD isn't all it's cut out to be. Everything else is cheap with a capital C.

I recall that the Tribeca platform was going to be used to build a 9.7 for Saab. This was while GM still had a minor share in Subaru, and still owned Saab. Thankfully, it didn't happen and GM went with a revised, rebadged version of their Trailblazer platform.

I haven't seen anything about the next-gen Tribeca, so I'm hopeful that there will be something coming out of Subaru Corporate on it.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Here's what we're going to see:

http://www.fhi.co.jp/english/news/press/2013/13_10_30_1e_92253.html

<SUBARU CROSSOVER 7 CONCEPT>

A new face in the Subaru SUV lineup is a seven-seater crossover. Not only does SUBARU CROSSOVER 7 CONCEPT have a sophisticated urban look but its exterior also projects rough-road driving capability. The interior features original smooth tan leather seats that will bring out the desire to go for a drive in any adult. The elegant and roomy space will manage to provide "driving enjoyment and peace of mind" at all times.

[Major Specifications]

Overall Length x Width x Height (mm): 4,780 x 1,800 x 1,705

Engine Type: 2.5-liter Horizontally-Opposed engine

Transmission Type: Lineartronic (CVT)

Drivetrain: Symmetrical AWD

Edit: Apparently it's going to replace the Outback and Exiga, so it's just a slightly larger Outback with 7 seats (and looks like an Outback). It seems it's no Tribeca replacement.

Another Edit: Looks like I was wrong - it's not larger, it's slightly smaller.

2013 Outback dimensions:

Width, Max w/o mirrors (in)71.7= 1821.18mm vs 1800mm for the Crossover 7 Concept.

Height, Overall (in)66.1 = 1678.94mm vs 1705mm for the Crossover 7 Concept.

Length, Overall (in)189.0 = 4800.6mm vs 4780mm for the Crossover 7 Concept.

So the concept is slightly shorter and narrower, though taller than the Outback.

Tribeca dimensions:

Width, Max w/o mirrors (in)73.9 = 1877.06mm vs 1800mm

Height, Overall (in)67.7 = 1719.58mm vs 1705mm

Length, Overall (in)191.5 = 4864.1mm vs 4780mm

The concept is taller than the Outback, but not as tall as the Tribeca.

Outback dimensions:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/specifications/subaru_outback_2013_outback_dimensions

Tribeca demensions:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/specifications/subaru_tribeca_2014_base_dimensions

Wife and I owned a 2006 B7 Tribe and we now own a 2011 Tribeca (2009 Forester XT in between). :hide: Not the best looking SUV around, but the 2011 model isn't terrible looking IMO. It definitely needs more power tho - that is for sure. Both Tribes have been rock solid as far as reliability goes.

I also think that the Tribe is/was the only SUV to hit the sweet spot when it comes to 7 passenger capacity, without being too big.

Levorg = gravel, reminds me of when the Tribeca originally launched and it was called the "B9 Tribeca". Everyone interpreted (at least in the media) to mean "benign". :)

... that's basically a taller, narrower, shorter Outback.

True.

Maybe they wont have a tribeca replacement concept at Tokyo. It would most likely be a US only vehicle so maybe if they do have a tribeca replacement in the works we may know more info at LA, or maybe NY, or Detroit.

So we get an Exiga Outback as a placeholder until the Tribeca is redesigned in 2016?

I heard that there will be a 7 row SUV in 2014 (probably as a 2015 model). If thats the Exiga or a new Tribeca IDK. I guess it could be possible that Subaru could add a third row to the redesigned outback, and also have a larger Tribeca replacement in the future. Who knows?

... that's basically a taller, narrower, shorter Outback.

AKA: Exiga. ;)

the 7 passenger concept is just an updated exiga with outback like cues. nothing more.

Yep - from the pics that's about the sum of it.

Foldaway seats in the outback. That's your Tribeca replacement. I figure the outback will be gaining at least a foot in height and length with each new iteration.

That might not bee too bad if the outback does get a bit bigger. I really dont need a third seat, I just need the extra room that normaly comes with a third row SUV. I have a couple pretty good size dogs, and the current outback is a little small for them to be in the back.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.autonews.com/article/20131111/OEM04/131119994/subaru-plans-seven-seat-replacement-for-tribeca#axzz2kQb3Cabi

TOKYO -- Subaru is developing a new seven-seat vehicle to replace the outgoing Tribeca, but U.S. dealers will have to wait for a while after the Tribeca is killed off next year.

Yasuyuki Yoshinaga, president of Subaru-brand parent Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd., confirmed the plans in an interview today.

U.S. dealers have been clamoring for an updated seven-seater, he said, and Subaru engineers are now working on it.

"I've received very strong requests from U.S. dealers for a multipassenger, seven-seat vehicle," Yoshinaga said. "And we are planning to introduce it to the U.S. market."

He declined to give a timeline for introducing the vehicle.

But he it won't be ready for a seamless introduction when Subaru stops making the aging Tribeca SUV early next year.

And Subaru isn't planning any all-new vehicles for the U.S. lineup next year or the year after, though updates and redesigns of current nameplates are on tap, Yoshinaga said.

"The seven-passenger vehicle project is completely different," he said of the new vehicle. "You won't see the new vehicle coming out immediately when Tribeca production ends."

He said that the new vehicle's output isn't accounted for in company's standing blueprint to expand U.S. production capacity to 300,000 units a year by the end of 2016.

The Tribeca is currently made at Subaru's Lafayette, Ind., assembly plant. Subaru will increase capacity as the factory to 300,000 units, from 170,000 units today. The Impreza small car will be added to the localized output of the Legacy and Outback.

The new vehicle would fill a hole in the lineup for a big people mover. The seven-seat Tribeca went on sale in 2005, but it has been a slow seller critiqued for a cramped rear seat.

Subaru sold only 1,348 Tribecas in the first 10 months of the year, making the vehicle its worst seller by far.

The new seven-seat vehicle could be based on the Subaru Exiga, a Japanese-market van-wagon crossbreed that also seats seven. It has wagonlike proportions with swing-out doors, but also gets a tall, top-heavy greenhouse and a slightly elevated third row.

You can reach Hans Greimel at hgreimel@crain.com. --

I take that this is a good news, but if they really make Tribeca's successor be based on Exiga this will be dumbest thing ever.

Archived