LegacyGT.com

Fuel Additives: Do you? If so, Recommendations?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure you caught where I was going with my post. Is there any evidence the car wouldn't have seen that mileage without the fuel additives?

I understood what you were saying. My post means that I've never had a fuel injector issue in almost a million combined miles and have been using the Berryman in all of them. Chryslers are known for FI issues and I've not had them with these. Fords, not so much but it does run better when we use it.

Sure, the cars would have gone that far because I take care of them and do maintenance rather than wait for failures, but the fuel systems have never had any issues and I attribute it to regular usage of the Berryman.

Give it a try. It costs $4 and if it doesn't help your car, then it's only $4 but I'm pretty sure it will. Sometimes, people are absolutely amazed at how much difference just one can of B12 makes.

My unscientific, undocumented, unresearched gut feeling makes me a bit weary of using anything that is an UCL for any prolonged period because I have a concern regarding spark plug fouling. So because of that, before I make a decision I'll look into it, especially since a spark plug job on a boxer is a bitch :)

I have to say, after reading JmP6889928 review of the different cleaners, I gave B-12 a try, and I could tell the difference after only using 1/2 the bottle on a full tank. I have tried several different brands, but B-12 seems to have a noticeable difference.
My wife's balls are delicious.

I plan to pick up a bottle of B-12 tonight. The difference I'm looking for is, cold weather starting. The wagon will crank one or two more times before it fires up this time of year, opposed to summer time.

I'll top off the tank when I add the bottle.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I highly recommend finding an automotive shop or speed shop that sells BG products and picking up a can of 44K fuel treatment.

I myself drive long distances an 99% of the time use good name brand gas. ie. Sunoco Exxon Shell. But I still run a can roughly every 35-40k miles.

Not gonna lie it's not exactly cheap. But you get what you pay for. And BG products aren't sold in retail stores for a reason. But I get it free so I don't mind the price tag.

Post #26

I've read the post twice, I'm obviously missing something? I wasn't talking about B-12, I was talking about Marvel Mystery Oil. Marvel says it will not foul plugs, on the contrary they claim it will prolong plug life. Marvel is a UCL, it is an oily substance. So the question is, will it burn without leaving residue.

As to B-12, I do note the last sentence warning about the effects of Toluene.

I've read the post twice, I'm obviously missing something? I wasn't talking about B-12, I was talking about Marvel Mystery Oil. Marvel says it will not foul plugs, on the contrary they claim it will prolong plug life. Marvel is a UCL, it is an oily substance. So the question is, will it burn without leaving residue.

As to B-12, I do note the last sentence warning about the effects of Toluene.

My apologies if we misunderstood each other. As for the MMO, as I had said earlier, Ferrari recommends it at regular intervals in their fuel systems as it "lubricates the fuel pump and related components". I've used it in the past in a few vehicles including my lawnmower but I can't really say for sure that it either hurt or helped. As for the plugs being fouled, MMO is a very light aromatic oil base so I'm sure it's burned through as quickly as the fuel. What it WILL do is leave a slight oily base behind that will help to lubricate the exhaust valve guide slightly through the passage.

I do know that when I repped MMO, we sold a LOT of it. The Mystery about Marvel Mystery Oil is:

You can put it in the oil, you can put it in the gas-the mystery-how does it know? :lol:

The combination of the MMO, Techron and Acetone, adds lubrication, octane, and varnish removal. SeeeeeYa's "science" seems to be well-founded.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Well I put most of a can of B12 last night. Filled the tank and drove 10 miles to home, dash read 13.8 mpg.

Most of the drive was up hill or sitting in traffic. :)

When I did the 32 mile drive to work today it read 24.6mpg which is about normal.

It was 20F at the house, car started slightly quicker then normal for that cold.

But still to soon to draw a major conclusion....:)

For the $4.78 for the can it's worth it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I've jumped on the B-12 bandwagon and picked up a can as well as a small bottle of the B-12 for humans for good measure. Just waiting for the tank to empty before I add it. Directions say to use the entire can for tanks 15 gallons or more but I see a number of people adding only half a can. Comments?

I added a half can, will be adding the other half today or tomorrow. Car is running real well anyway, just thought I'd throw some in for the cleaning properties. No gas mileage change yet, been romping on it too much. Edited by JJr

I've jumped on the B-12 bandwagon and picked up a can as well as a small bottle of the B-12 for humans for good measure. Just waiting for the tank to empty before I add it. Directions say to use the entire can for tanks 15 gallons or more but I see a number of people adding only half a can. Comments?

If I have a car that seems to be boggy or doesn't start as well as I want it to, I put a whole can in 1/2 tank of fuel and then drive it down to 1/4 and refill it completely with good (Shell, Mobil, Exxon) fuel and drive it again to 1/4 and fill again. Purchase the product in the METAL can, not the plastic bottle. Berryman had to put it in metal with the original B12 as it would eventually soften the plastic bottle and cause the bottle to finally begin to leak. I was repping them when they figured this out (had a lot of warranty issues with the plastic bottles beginning to leak and had to send it back to Berryman) and began using the metal cans. The cans are also good to keep around as they're nicely made and the cap seals very well.

The concentration of the first application generally cleans up most issues if they are related to varnished/sticking fuel injectors and also helps the fuel pump as well.

Do NOT pour this into 1/2 tank and let the car sit for a week or so. The Berryman is very strong and it can actually soften vent hoses and cause them to collapse when the vent vacuum is applied from normal operation of the vehicle. If you aren't going to drive it through, then wait and use it when you go on a longer trip. If you drive 30+ miles a day, and do it every day, then go ahead and use it as I state above. You should definitely see a difference if your issue is fuel injector related.

:)

Edited by JmP6889928

I quickly read the can, something about it treats 21 gallons. With a 16 gallon tank. I figured I'd pour in about 3/4 can and use the rest over the weekend.

I may just pour the rest into my Spec B. I think I might take it to VT skiing this weekend. It's been sitting for pretty much the last 4 or 5 weeks. It did get driven one day but not very far. It could use a good run.

After reading this I bought some, and will put it in my tank before I leave on my Weekend trip

Don't remember if it was a metal can or plastic, what is the difference?

Edited by BX77

Purchase the product in the METAL can, not the plastic bottle. Berryman had to put it in metal with the original B12 as it would eventually soften the plastic bottle and cause the bottle to finally begin to leak. I was repping them when they figured this out (had a lot of warranty issues with the plastic bottles beginning to leak and had to send it back to Berryman) and began using the metal cans. The cans are also good to keep around as they're nicely made and the cap seals very well.)

FWIW, I purchased the metal cans - Advanced Auto didn't even stock the plastic ones.

After reading this I bought some, and will put it in my tank before I leave on my Weekend trip

Don't remember if it was a metal can or plastic, what is the difference?

Purchase the product in the METAL can, not the plastic bottle. Berryman had to put it in metal with the original B12 as it would eventually soften the plastic bottle and cause the bottle to finally begin to leak. I was repping them when they figured this out (had a lot of warranty issues with the plastic bottles beginning to leak and had to send it back to Berryman) and began using the metal cans. The cans are also good to keep around as they're nicely made and the cap seals very well.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I quickly read the can, something about it treats 21 gallons. With a 16 gallon tank. I figured I'd pour in about 3/4 can and use the rest over the weekend.

That's what I read, so I poured 50% in the 1st tank and the other in the 2nd tank. Seems to be doing well.

My wife's balls are delicious.

I highly recommend finding an automotive shop or speed shop that sells BG products and picking up a can of 44K fuel treatment.

I myself drive long distances an 99% of the time use good name brand gas. ie. Sunoco Exxon Shell. But I still run a can roughly every 35-40k miles.

Not gonna lie it's not exactly cheap. But you get what you pay for. And BG products aren't sold in retail stores for a reason. But I get it free so I don't mind the price tag.

I've been using BG 44K in my cars for years and have loved the returns. Ford Expedition, Nissan Maxima, 05 Outback 2.5i and 05 GT all told over the last 8 years or so. It is pricey, but I run it every 20-25k miles and I see a 1-2mpg drop when it's time to throw it in again. It's not as hard to find as it once was either.

Edited by SmackDaddy