LegacyGT.com

Fuel Additives: Do you? If so, Recommendations?

If your gas is fouling your injectors go after the oil company for the cost of repairs. I used to work at one of them and we'd issue checks all the time for this kind of thing. We paid for a few engine rebuilds too. I've used gas additives to boost octane when I got a bad tank, but I don't use additives as part of regular maintenance. There's plenty of detergents in gasolines already.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided to give Berryman's B12 a try and the Outback I put back together. It threw a misfire code the other day with no clear cause. I'd already tried Lucas and Marvel Mystery Oil. This car had sat for years with the previous owner, then burned a valve on cyl 4. I pulled the engine and fixed it all.

The Berryman's seems to work well. The idle smoothed out greatly, and I didn't consider it rough before. So far the mileage looks to be great. No misfire codes so far, but the one code I got seemed random, it was the bad mileage that had me wondering. I might drop some Berryman's in to my old 1970s motorcycles and snowmobiles sitting in my garage. The snowmobiles had lead residue in the carbs.

I run Torco Accelerator, 500 ml mixed into 5 gals of Premium. I buy it in the 5 Gallon pails on Amazon. You have to remember to shake or stir it first before mixing into the gas. Edited by Sgt.Gator

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

• 6 years later...
I have the hesitation between 2-3k in 2nd or 3rd sometimes and somewhat lower than normal idle. I'm going to smoke test my car tomorrow but in the mean time, figured this wouldn't hurt. Going to put the 2nd bottle I bought in my sequoia since it has 162k and could probably use some fuel treatment as well.

Holy thread bump, Batman!

Fuel nowadays all comes from the same suppliers and refineries. Chevron/Shell/Sunoco, etc, all just add a few extra injector cleaning additives. I went almost 220K before my injectors developed a leak, and it was because they were removed and reinstalled during an engine rebuild without new o-rings.