LegacyGT.com

GrimmSpeed 08+ WRX/LGT Top Mount Intercooler - Any Interest?

• Moderators
^^yeah, a bit of movement from both sides is definitely not a bad idea. Once you install the splitter, you'll also see that it should be very easy to re-angle it a bit without causing any permanent issues for a future user who would want to install it on an LGT. I think there is plenty of flex there for those who might need it.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i had the same issue with the rear bracket. Seems like they didn't even test this for the Legacy. Something like that should have been noticed and the bracket should have been modified.

Not true, GS used my car 4+ times to test fit and also for the splitter. if anything its possible u got shipped a wrx top mount

Not true, GS used my car 4+ times to test fit and also for the splitter. if anything its possible u got shipped a wrx top mount

The only difference between a "WRX top mount" and an "LGT top mount" is the splitter.

Speaking of brackets there was another one on my engine that had two wire clips attached to it. I had to disconnect the clips and remove the OEM bracket so I could put the bracket for the TMIC in place of it. Does anybody's car have this bracket or is that one of the things forgotten in the instructions when installing in a Legacy GT? Either way I figured it out and got it in. I'm pretty pleased with this. I just wish the Legacy specific instructions / video would have happened before I installed this. Edited by Gary Bechtold

Speaking of brackets there was another one on my engine that had two wire clips attached to it. I had to disconnect the clips and remove the OEM bracket so I could put the bracket for the TMIC in place of it. Does anybody's car have this bracket or is that one of the things forgotten in the instructions when installing in a Legacy GT? Either way I figured it out and got it in. I'm pretty pleased with this. I just wish the Legacy specific instructions / video would have happened before I installed this.

I have an 06 LGT 5EAT, and I have these two wires connected to the front metal bracket as well. I installed the GS bracket over top of the oem bracket but now the Throttle body hose is difficult to wrap. What did you end up doing to get it to fit?

I have an 06 LGT 5EAT, and I have these two wires connected to the front metal bracket as well. I installed the GS bracket over top of the oem bracket but now the Throttle body hose is difficult to wrap. What did you end up doing to get it to fit?

You have to remove the old bracket and remove the clips from it. Otherwise the splitter won't line up right.

You have to remove the old bracket and remove the clips from it. Otherwise the splitter won't line up right.

Remove the clips from the old bracket with a small flat blade screwdriver and put in the new bracket with the new bolts provided by Grimmspeed.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good!

I installed the HKS BOV and had to cut about an 1" off the rubber hose (comes with HKS kit) from end tank to BOV to fit. Also had to bend the metal bracket (comes with HKS kit) slightly to clear the oem hood, so it shuts without hitting.

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv87/JoshEAllen/1498505F-E91F-40CA-BCFB-D0C02ABAE8F4.jpg

No problems clearing my STi STB although getting that throttle body coupler on the IC was a bitch.

that would be part #ST2050021000?

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

I went for a half hour drive into the mountains and then for fun took my FLIR One to check the surface temps of the intercooler. I understand that this is not the same as the actual air temp inside the IC but it does give you an idea of the efficiency. Ambient temp is 59 degrees.

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv87/JoshEAllen/2957179A-5DE6-4E3D-99F9-FC4FFB2BEA0B.jpg

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv87/JoshEAllen/59BEF7A1-3B9B-47A9-8400-77034C7FB08E.jpg

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv87/JoshEAllen/FABA7E88-D0FB-4890-8786-922699E86010.jpg

I would say this does not fit the Outback XT. Two main issues:

1) On my 2009, the fire-wall mounting point that uses the 10mm bolt? That body panel is bent flat vertial and therefore I had to bend it up to horizontal to get the plane of the bolt/bracket where it needed to be. This messed up all the other alignments and took hours of bending, pulling and fighting with everything else. The throttle body inet will likely not stay on long-term under boost.

In other words, all the R&D that Grimmspeed did to keep such things from happening happened on my platform anyhow.

2) The front of the splitter misses the intercooler by over an inch. To me this completely undermines the point of paying for a system that comes with a splitter. It also means that only about 1/4 of the splitter actually seals with the intercooler b/c of the angle.

The only plus side so far is that the intercooler is higher off the engine so does not bang into things which was the main motivation for replacing the Perrin in the first place. Ironic to swap one issue for others.

So, nothing has changed meaning nothing really fits the Outback XT.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b130/tazswing/20150221_134938_zpsb6a9f0ff.jpg

Now, FOR THE OBXT GUYS (and Grimmspeed):

The TMIC fits. The splitter fits. IMO, the splitter is not perfect for outbacks.

The front mounting point is attached to the engine, and therefore drops the front of the TMIC down towards the ground by approximately 1". The result is that the whole TMIC is tilted forward just a bit. Not a big deal, but the splitter material (the rubber) begins to lose contact with TMIC as you get towards the front of the TMIC. You can see the gap start to form there.

Big deal? Probably not. I think it can be fixed with some foam (or similar material) being stuck to the TMIC itself. I also may try some small spacers in between the splitter and the hood where the front fasteners are installed. I think this should angle the whole splitter similarly to how the TMIC is angled and things should line up.

Grimmspeed, maybe including spacers and new bolts/screws for those mounting points would be the ticket for the OBXT guys :)

My 09 Outback didn't look anything like that at that mounting point. Has your car been in an accident or did someone modify that piece to clear another TMIC?

I did have an issue with the throttle body hose that you mention coming off, although I think it was because I didn't have the hose clamp tight enough or the clamp wasn't completely past the bead.

Edited by WRX USA

• Moderators

tazswing, as WRX USA mentions, neither of us had any issues with the rear mounting point having that orientation. Our TMICs bolted right up.

The splitter issue is real, but should be easily rectified by adding a spacer at the front TMIC mounting point to angle the core up slightly and also adding small spacers to the front mounting points of the splitter to bring the front of the splitter down a bit. Doing this should bring things together in the front without changing the rear at all.

I also had no issues with any hoses--haven't yet at least. And I've done a couple of 3rd/4th gear pulls to redline (6mt, not 5mt) at 19+ PSI in order to create logs for my tuner.

Sorry you had such issues though. Overall, this is the easiest installing intercooler that I've dealt with--previous intercoolers that I have used include stock, Perrin, and a Process West.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(