LegacyGT.com

GrimmSpeed 08+ WRX/LGT Top Mount Intercooler - Any Interest?

LGT splitter is coming out at the same time as the intercooler. I'm not sure about the OBXT cause of the hood to engine distance, but since it's larger and not smaller, I surmise that the LGT stuff should work without an issue but with a gap between the IC and the splitter.

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LGT splitter is coming out at the same time as the intercooler. I'm not sure about the OBXT cause of the hood to engine distance, but since it's larger and not smaller, I surmise that the LGT stuff should work without an issue but with a gap between the IC and the splitter.

Seems like they could show us what it is they are selling before we buy it.

My concern is with the clutch master cylinder clearance on the OBXT.

If you think about the chassis, its the same as a LGT. the hood is different on a OBXT. I don't have one so I'm not positive.

But I can't see the clutch master cylinder being in a different location in the same basic chassis.

If I'm worng I'm sure I will be corrected. BMB or MrTris may know ?

I also think we told Matt about that a year ago when he asked for our ideas and what we wanted.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Isn't that becasue of the chassis spacers ? Isn't the body of a OB raised ? If that is the case then the CMC would be higher up on the end of the tmic.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• Moderators

OBXT fitment should be fine. I think I explained why previously, but it has to do with the piece of the factory splitter that will be retained being different on the OBXT versus LGT. Can explain further if folks need...

Edit: yeah, what underdog said!

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

So - to your point - the OBXT body sits higher (which is where the CMC mounts), while the engine (which is where the GS TMIC attaches) sits lower in the chassis relative to the body, bringing the TMIC closer to impinging the top of the CMC? Knowing GS, they probably took all of this into account.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• Moderators
Seems like something is missing here. The Perrin / AVO units have CMC proximity issues on LGTs, and the same is true on OBXTs (speaking from experience), but it's not like those units are *crushing* into the CMC on an OBXT. Leads me to believe that there may be another piece to the puzzle here, otherwise wouldn't the Perrin/AVO units have severe fitment issues with OBXTs?

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

So - to your point - the OBXT body sits higher (which is where the CMC mounts), while the engine (which is where the GS TMIC attaches) sits lower in the chassis relative to the body, bringing the TMIC closer to impinging the top of the CMC? Knowing GS, they probably took all of this into account.

Let's hope they can post pics of one installed in either an LGT or OBXT soon so we can see for ourselves. Given than OBXT owners are in the minority (when compared to WRX and LGT owners) I sure hope they took it into account.

BMB - the real impingement issue with the Perrin, and to some degree the AVO TMIC, is the CSC banjo bolt head. I actually ground-down my CSC BB head to make it less so Same issue would apply to OBXTs given the engine mounting location of the Perrins, but bring it even closer to the CMC cap. On my LGT I have ~3/8" of clearance max.,

The last time I put my IPR tmic on I left the turbo lose on the up pipe, located the tmic on the TB hose started the two bolts in the turbo outlet, the tighten the TB hose clamp. Then tighten the turbo to up pipe. The next time time it was installed by the mechanic, I told him what I did, he said it was easy to install. There is also more clearance with the CMC now.

When I installed my Perrin TMIC, I got the CMC cup from an STI, which sits a bit lower and back from the Legacy GT one. They are fully interchangeable. No issues with a fitment of the Perrin after that.

STI

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o124/beaviscih/04STiClutchMS.jpg

Legacy GT

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA3MVgxNjAw/$T2eC16VHJHoE9n3Ke5gtBQN4R+vEhw~~60_57.JPG

Can't you also "clock" the reservoir somehow to completely get it out of the way?

You could as the coupler from the CMC to the cup is round, but you'd need a way to retain the cup. The stock ones are retained to the CMC with a little pin, forward of the coupler, and the weight of he cup with fluid is braced with the little plastic nub to top of the CMC.

• 2 weeks later...
Can anyone confirm this intercooler will fit a 2005 JDM 2.0GT A/T Spec B? EJ20X, RHD of course.

Thanks!

No, it's not out yet and was designed for the USDM market 2.5GT.

If you look at your engine bay and pictures of it installed, you might be able to make a good guess as to if it will fit your car.

Also believe your JDM 2.0LGT is a twin-scroll setup which is different than the 2.5LGT single-scroll setup. You may be able to fab a turbo outlet to mate-up with the inlet hose, but then the mounting positions may very well be different from the LHD models

• 2 weeks later...

After watching this I am confident that this won't fit an OBXT in its current state.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/V2ZiU3PhJ24?feature=oembed

The first issue is this CMC and the second is that the rear mounting point for the IC is on the firewall (just above the pitch stop). It would seem that a bracket or spacer would need to be made for the front mounting point to account for the difference between the LGT and OBXT (which may also lift the inter cooler to the same location as an LGT, relative to the splitter). On a side note, it seems odd to have the IC taking the same impacts as the pitch stop (since it connects trans/engine to the firewall)