LegacyGT.com

GrimmSpeed 08+ WRX/LGT Top Mount Intercooler - Any Interest?

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators
So why would there be a TMIC support on the OBXT if there isn't on the LGT?

Who said that? GS clearly appears to be supporting the LGT platform.

That install video and the rear mounting setup is the first thing that has made be me really start to think that the TMIC may not fit on an OBXT. If the whole core gets pushed lower in the engine bay compared to the firewall it looks like it's simply going to starting making contact with parts that simply can't be moved.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

That install video and the rear mounting setup is the first thing that has made be me really start to think that the TMIC may not fit on an OBXT. If the whole core gets pushed lower in the engine bay compared to the firewall it looks like it's simply going to starting making contact with parts that simply can't be moved.

I was thinking this as I was watching, but isn't the pitch stop the same on both cars? So perhaps the pitch stop mount is located in a lower place on the OBXT?

Check part numbers on opposed forces and report back!

The pitch stop is the same, but all that confirms is that the distance between the two mounting points is the same. There is still a difference in the position of the motor/trans relative to the firewall.

The pitch stop is the same, but all that confirms is that the distance between the two mounting points is the same. There is still a difference in the position of the motor/trans relative to the firewall.

I thought someone mentioned that it would change the angle of the tilt... I was just thinking that if the pitch stop is the same, that means it keeps the same position relative to the engine. As for what that means in terms of what will get in the way on the firewall, I have no idea, as I don't have an OBXT. Just trying to help with what I thought of.

Hey guys! I'm posting this update in both currently active threads. Sorry for the lack of information on this forum recently - we've just had ours noses to the grindstone trying to get these out.

Shipping update: as many of you probably noticed, WRX kits have shipped. This isn't because we play favorites or anything (in fact, I used to have an 05 LGT and know the feels), but because the LGT splitters are a bit more complex and we had some issues with the rivet gun that we weren't happy with. All of the splitters have been reworked and had to work back through powdercoating. We should have most of them back today and have kits standing by, ready to pack and ship!

Regarding OBXT fitment, it's still something that we're unsure of. We're planning on having a car in for test fitting this week.

Install video is done! We'll have a separate video with some notes regarding the LGT install, since the splitter is a bit different, but you'll have no trouble figure it out!

Matt Beenen

Engineering

I think there's some confusion here. The way I read it was that the GS TMIC wouldn't work on the OBXT because the engine sits lower in the bay than the LGT which aside from a different splitter, it shouldn't matter. The TMIC location relative to the engine (the only thing it connects to) is what matters and that's all the same from LGT to OBXT. See quote below.

After watching this I am confident that this won't fit an OBXT in its current state.

... second is that the rear mounting point for the IC is on the firewall (just above the pitch stop).

There is no TMIC mount on the firewall as far as I know, which is why I'm confused as to why this is a talking point.

EDIT: After watching the video, there's a rear mounting bracket for the TMIC that GS is adding.

I thought you were talking about something stock... sooooo there is where the confusion was coming from. My apologies.

Edited by baconbits

After watching the video, there's a rear mounting bracket for the TMIC that GS is adding.

I thought you were talking about something stock... sooooo there is where the confusion was coming from. My apologies.

There is if you watch the video.

Just above the pitch stop, which is why I referenced that.

Yep, you guys are correct. There is a mount on the firewall. Depending on the difference, it may be that a lower profile vibration isolator could help make up for the height change, or maybe a modified bracket. We'll let you know exactly what the situation is when we get our mitts on a car!

Matt Beenen

Engineering

I'm sure Matt will give an official update but OBXT owners can now break open the piggy bank! ;o)

This is correct - the intercooler installed just fine! I'll get pictures up a little bit later today or tomorrow morning! Thanks again, Rich, for volunteering your car!

Matt Beenen

Engineering