LegacyGT.com

Recommended first modifications please!

I am a new owner of a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT and I was wondering what are some recommended first mods to do to a stock Legacy GT? I was thinking up pipe, down pipe, cat back, cold air intake, accessport and possibly COBB stage 1 to start. What does a stage 1 tune consist of? what are the recommended mufflers to throw on?

Stages: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/unofficial-legacy-gt-stage-upgrade-definitions-48123.html

Skip the intake, worthless. Stick to the stock box and air filters.

You can get the cheap vag-com cable for like $15, instead of the COBB. While from what I've read COBB is a solid company, their OTS maps are not the best in tuning out issues. Cable and a open tune from infamous, cryo, etc... Which is the route I will get going. They can customize the tune for your specific vehicle. But that's just my 2 cents.

My plan is Stage 2/2.5 - Turboback/DP/Catback (depending on what I find), intercooler (process west). I am still researching exhausts/cats. The COBB is nice, but $1200 for the full setup. Might go Invidia.

First mod- ditch the banjo bolt filter and run rotella t6 oil!

i would go with the Cobb ap and run stage 1 for a bit how you like it- no other mods needed.

If you want more power, downpipe and catless UP allows you to run stage 2 map.

First Mod: START READING THIS FORUM, DO NOT SPEND ANY $$$$ until you read and research what you are doing.

What HE SAID...

If your good with a lap top you can get a $20 cable then $150-200 for a e-tune from someone like my tuner http://www.tuningalliance.com Mike has been Tuning cars for a number of years and knows his stuff.

He can email you a stage 1 or 2 tune depending on what you do.

Also check the oil level often, always top it off, never let it get low on oil.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It's fast enough, don't mod it. Don't even drive it. Just look at it. On Sundays sit in it and put the key in the ignition. Don't turn it, just make car noises yourself. If this doesn't work for you follow what the previous 2 posts say. My way is much safer though. I wish I had followed that advice.

It's fast enough, don't mod it. Don't even drive it. Just look at it. On Sundays sit in it and put the key in the ignition. Don't turn it, just make car noises yourself. If this doesn't work for you follow what the previous 2 posts say. My way is much safer though. I wish I had followed that advice.

rao?

here's the stage upgrade guidelines - http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/unofficial-legacy-gt-stage-upgrade-definitions-48123.html

keep in mind, for the spend list and power potential you have listed, you'll need better brake pads and suspension upgrades. A LGT with a tune is a potent car. Adding more external components without adding reliability parts leads to ring-land failures and my turbo blew up.

if you are already posting issues, then perhaps you should fix the issues first. Then start modding. Its easier to start when the car is already working great, than trying to debug a new issue on top of old.

It's the o2 sensor. Thanks for the advice. I'm very grateful for all the feedback I've gotten already!

You may want to clean the MAF sensor too.

Auto parts stores have a can of MAF cleaner.

Cleaned the MAF sensor and grabbed a K&N. After looking at the previous air filters dirtiness, I am thinking it had something to do with the P2096 code.

Cleaned the MAF sensor and grabbed a K&N. After looking at the previous air filters dirtiness, I am thinking it had something to do with the P2096 code.
K&N, bleh... should've just bought a paper filter.

No extra power gained. In fact, some pod filters will give you negative gains. Aka, waste of money. Stock is fine until you start mod'ing for big HP

That stock filter was very dirty and I'm pretty sure that's why It was throwing a code so I just threw a K&N on. I wasn't expecting to get any power gains when I bought it. But it seems to work for now.

First thing I would do? Create a new account with a far less douchy handle. That or check out Nasioc.

How about you cool your jets, Starsky. You have no idea why my username is what it is or what it means.

Archived