LegacyGT.com

Recommended first modifications please!

Wtf has his username got to do with anything?

That stock filter was very dirty and I'm pretty sure that's why It was throwing a code so I just threw a K&N on. I wasn't expecting to get any power gains when I bought it. But it seems to work for now.

Fair enough, but I think invars point was you could have just saved a few bucks and bought a stock filter.

So the cel came on and you assumed it was a clogged filter? You might want to look into that.

I see no problem with your douchy handle, bro.

No I assumed it was either the oxygen sensor or the vacuum sensor. I checked my filter when I changed my oil and it was really dirty. The CEL hasn't come on since I changed the filter.

Fair enough, but I think invars point was you could have just saved a few bucks and bought a stock filter.

And I'll point out, I have been using the same Perrin panel filter in my wagon since Aug 2004. Just put a K&N in my Spec B in April.

Next mod, is to think about getting the car off the stock MAP. Or like Nrw said in post #3.

How are your brakes ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

And I'll point out, I have been using the same Perrin panel filter in my wagon since Aug 2004. Just put a K&N in my Spec B in April.

Next mod, is to think about getting the car off the stock MAP. Or like Nrw said in post #3.

How are your brakes ?

I just like the K&N because there is no waste in the dump for the life of your car after you switch.

Regarding the K&N comment. Oil too much and you risk fouling the MAF sensor. Oil too little and you reduce filtration capability, even more than you're already reduced. As much as K&N wants to say that they filtrate 99% and all of that, it's simply not true. K&Ns by necessity will let more dirt into your intake than a paper filter. It's a sacrifice to "breath better." Do you think that bit of breathing better helps? Personally, I don't think it does at lower power levels.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/debunking-the-k-n-myth-why-oem-is-better-t180100.html

Drive the car for a while and let it tell you what it needs. There are two parts to modding a car:

1. Getting better performance.

3. Getting it in a condition to survive getting better performance.

Personally, I am thinking of an oil pressure gauge as a first mod and perhaps urethane steering bushings. Change out the oil in the engine, transmission and differentials with synthetic oils and use the larger RX-8 oil filter. These are relaibility mods that will serve you well for any future upgrades.

Drive the car for a while and let it tell you what it needs. There are two parts to modding a car:

1. Getting better performance.

3. Getting it in a condition to survive getting better performance.

There's two ways to mod a car...the right way, the wrong way, and the LGT.com way.

Archived