LegacyGT.com

Painted my grill and front emblem

Cliff

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Duplicolor Graphite Grey. Just masked off the wings and emblem and sprayed the chrome. LOTS of layers.

For the emblem, I just removed it, removed the blue off the back (I used a dremel with a scotchbrite-like extension that was included and fingernail polish remover), and repainted the back of the emblem with the graphite grey.

Did you give the chrome piece some good sanding or just spray paint on top?

BTW... LOOKS HOT!!

I scuffed the chrome before I painted it. The scuffed chrome actually looks pretty sweet (kind of like brushed aluminum) and I may do the "wings" like that.

hmmm any close ups? i was thinking of the same colour as well

http://clem.mscd.edu/~mcquiggc/oncar2.jpg

http://clem.mscd.edu/~mcquiggc/oncar3.jpg

The color match is actually spot on. Not sure why the camera makes it look so different. Hmmm.

Thanks for sharing Cliff.

This is my next little project. Getting another front emblem to put back on my stock grille and then darkening it up like yours. I need to take off my RBS grille for the winters, as the highway travel is chipping it up pretty badly.

Your mod looks great.

You know you can take the wings off. They unscrew from the back. I found that out when I did my Grill. I have a '05 and I think the goes with the chrome rings around the headlights.

123011(1).JPG.b713af4a7f47d1ed494ee161d3ba73f9.JPG

124010(1).thumb.JPG.d0485f9e44aa16bda3ccdf312a80f03a.JPG

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I think I'm going to try this option. I was going to do the reverse....paint the wings. But side by side I like the trim black w/ chome wings vs. chrom trim w/ black wings.

Picked up some Rustoleum textrured black for plastic.

Grille looks great! You might want to think about painting the foglamp bezels to match - I think that would add more contrast and tie the look together. I've got an extra set of bezels at home so if you think you'd like to try that send me a PM.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Grille looks great! You might want to think about painting the foglamp bezels to match - I think that would add more contrast and tie the look together. I've got an extra set of bezels at home so if you think you'd like to try that send me a PM.

Foglight surrounds are already painted. :icon_wink

• 3 weeks later...
i have a question, did you mask off the area besides the chrome? how did you mask it off?

looks like he did. i'm going to use painters tape and use an exacto to cut the excess off. but I have thought about painting all the pastic as if you look close it's not a 100% match. The closest match I've seen is on TRS's grill wings. He used "plasi-kote black metalic flake". I can't find it anywhere.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14267&page=2

grill_wings0012.jpg.c1e9df172312dd52007dcc0414856795.jpg

1255492059_grill_wings003(2).jpg.a65ff01278c6229c7715dadea0e92cfd.jpg

Archived