LegacyGT.com

Painted my grill and front emblem

Cliff

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say just take off the emblem and wings, and just get everything! That is what I think I am going to do one of these days. Just apply the wings and emblem and bam, unique look...

However, how do they come off? :lol: screws? Glue?

zac

Thanks for the compliments. About the tape holding on the badge... it's 3m double sided adhesive and once you try getting it off, you won't worry too much about it coming off on accident. It's REALLY on there.

Looks good. I did the same painted chrome surround with my JDM spec.B grille. :)

The front emblem is only held on with tape? :eek:

Zac

My rear spoiler is only held on by double-sided (3M) tape. ;)

-Mike-

• 2 months later...
So, initially I didn't scuff the chrome ring enough and the paint was chipping. I just redid it. I really scuffed it this time and used black primer instead of the grey paint. Looks better (better match) and no chips so far.

Guest Gitster
Yeah Im not totally happy with my DIY mesh RBS ripoff. Im gonna pick up another OEM and do this.

Cliff, how long has it been since you redid the grill? What did you use to scuff the chrome ring? And finally, what primer did you use? Any pics with the primer?

I have been wanting to do this but don't want to create a maintenance nightmare. I drive back and forth across Denver daily so I worry about all the crap on I-25.

Cliff, how long has it been since you redid the grill? What did you use to scuff the chrome ring? And finally, what primer did you use? Any pics with the primer?

I have been wanting to do this but don't want to create a maintenance nightmare. I drive back and forth across Denver daily so I worry about all the crap on I-25.

It's only been a month since redoing it, but I'm pretty sure that it's not going to chip. I scuffed the ring the first time with a dremel attachement that was sort of like a scotchbrite pad. This time, I did it with one that was a pretty coarse sandpaper. I'll have to take new pics and see what brand primer it was. Should be able to do that later tonight.

Guest Gitster
Does the chrome actually come off, down to a dull gray plastic? Or did you not sand it enough to do that?

Guest Gitster

Even though you can see them on your pics, those vertical supports, (8 of em?), piss me off.

You think the wings would still be supported if I dremeled those out?

I just put in an order from my dealer for another grille to experiment on.

And finally, what primer did you use? Any pics with the primer?

Duplicolor paintable primer (black)

http://clem.mscd.edu/~mcquiggc/repaint.jpg

Sorry it's so dirty, but I wasn't going to go wash it just for this snapshot.

I have thought about doing this for a while now. I really like how it looks on yours cliff. I also thought about painting the wings black in addition to the outer trim.

I am definitely going to do exactly what you did Cliff, paint the chrome surround black, and leave the wings chrome.

How different do you think it will look on my '06 with the chrome headlights?

From the pictures I think I can tell you've got an '05, right?

I do have an '05. I think the mod will look just as good with the chrome headlights since you're keeping the wings chrome. I think it just makes the grill opening look a little larger.

Archived