LegacyGT.com

Painted my grill and front emblem

Cliff

Painted mine today. Went to Advance Auto and picked up some paint, tape, and sandpaper. (for about $12)

The paint is:

Dupli-Color

Auto Spray

Charcoal Metallic

#DSGM318

You can see that it is very slightly "grayer" than the stock color. It is close enough for me though, and I am pretty picky!

Here is the end result.........

81569700.zcWurGsD.jpg.dcc482058864880c849897a68ecd0a38.jpg

81569706.PzpT3hR3.jpg.a4e28f622509b367c56bb264e9186559.jpg

81569710.Zh1sI5O4.jpg.e88642eb60d4320b97efd997dffd46c1.jpg

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
one question tho, did you guys have to mask up the area other than the chrome trim?

if so, what did you do?

Here is what you do:

- Remove the wings (four small phillips screws)

- Tape up the Suby logo with some painters tape

- Sand the chrome to score the area to be painted

- Paint the chrome and don't worry about the overspray on the other "black" parts. The paint I listed above is so close that you can just blend it in.

No need to tape off the whole thing.http://legacygt.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

one more question, when you take off the wings by uscrewing them, is it the whole wing that comes out? Or just the chrome strips on the front?

Normally I would just go out to the garage and see for myself but I am on Vacaction and will not see the Leggy for another three weeks :icon_sad:

Painted mine today. Went to Advance Auto and picked up some paint, tape, and sandpaper. (for about $12)

The paint is:

Dupli-Color

Auto Spray

Charcoal Metallic

#DSGM318

You can see that it is very slightly "grayer" than the stock color. It is close enough for me though, and I am pretty picky!

Here is the end result.........

Looks sick man.

If you can, shoot me a PM with where you got your bumper plugs. ;)

I may end up doing that to my grille here soon too.

All the grills are excellent. You all do great work.

I am leaning towards some type of mesh grill. Any suggestions that are not too cost prohibitive or that require too much labor/ingenuity?

Or, do I just have to bite the bullet and dole out the $300 or so?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now that spring is coming I recently started looking into painting my grill again. Finally easily found the Plastikote Metal Flake (Black) that TRS used on his "wings". By far the closest color match I've seen to the OEM grill plastic color.

Purchased at Amazon

1 can Plastikote Plastic Primer (#469)

2 cans Plastikote Metal Flake - Black (#320)

1 can Plastikote Candy Clear Coat (#307, to help protect and give a little extra gloss if needed)

Plan is to test on some spare "wings" and see if it matches well enough for my taste. If not I'll be doing the entire grill. Not sure if I'm going re-use my existing chrome wings or swap out with my extra set of painted ones. It will be several weeks before I get all this done. Not much free time...but plan on utilizing the model shop at work....sandblaster and all kinds of neat stuff. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Well since I'm tinting my taillights tomorrow I have decided to do this mod as well. My question is when you guys take off the Subaru badges on both the front and back, how difficult is it to put those suckers back on and how difficult is it to pull the actual badge apart to take out the blue?

Mo

Taking them off isn't that bad, the main thing that helps is heat! I used a hair dryer and that seems to work. Then the emblem should just be one piece that is painted blue on the back. Re-attaching is the tricky part especially for the trunk emblem. For the front emblem, i just used double sided mounting tape, some people go out and buy the special 3M stuff, but i never had a problem with the regular mounting tape

I'll be painting my grille soon as well. I'm debating on painting the wings. I have a black LGT and I'm wondering how it would look without and with the wings painted, but I can not find pics of a black lgt with a painted stock grille anywhere, can someone please post or photoshop?

• 8 months later...
You know you can take the wings off. They unscrew from the back. I found that out when I did my Grill. I have a '05 and I think the goes with the chrome rings around the headlights.

Now how do you hold the mesh on?

BANNED FROM THE TIKI FORUM. :lol:

Archived