LegacyGT.com

Water in my hood scoop!!!

Prod

I don't recommend ever doing this. I won't do it again. An Outback would have been a better choice.

This was at Stony Fork Campground, the creek crossing was about 3" deep before it rained all night. I was up there visiting STPR with friends.

http://www.cse.psu.edu/~maynard/legacy_album/

My car was the obvious choice to make the crossing. The other cars we had available were a Ford Contour, a BMW 325is, and a Celica All-Trac. The All-Trac only had 2 seats and was not conducive to us going spectating.

Ok, so I had no idea it was that deep going in. I slept in, and my friends told me that a minivan made it through. But the minivan did it about an hour earlier, before the water rose to that level. They failed to tell me that a new Tahoe didn't make it. About half an hour after me, a Jeep Grand Cherokee went for it and hydrolocked. I thought we were done when the water came halfway up the windshield. The engine kept turning, so I kept going. When we were almost to the other side, the car started drifting to the right a little. I corrected and we got ashore safely. Yeah, I got lucky.

The car had a rough idle, so I shut it down. We took out the air filter and naturally it was soaked, but the car ran fine with it out. A few minutes on the camp grill and the air filter was dry enough to use again. The car ran like a champ while we went to 5 spectator sites during the day. It also had no problem with the 300 mile journey home the next day.

+1 for Subaru!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you apparently don't give a shit about your subaru from the sound of it...

so why should you care if you have water in it?

Go easy. :lol:

Part of this is a spoof on the whole "Water in my Intercooler" and the other half is the fact his Subaru made it while some "Rugged" SUV's didn't.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Go easy. :lol:

Part of this is a spoof on the whole "Water in my Intercooler" and the other half is the fact his Subaru made it while some "Rugged" SUV's didn't.

Yeah, pretty much. As I said, my friends din't tell me about the Tahoe, and they didn't mention that the minvan was an hour earlier. So I was thinking 6" of water, no problem. When it turned out ot be 8-9", I was already committed. It was luck that I didn't hydrolock.

I would have put a snokel on if I had anything to make one with. Like I said the creek was about 3" deep when I crossed it the night before. I didn't plan on the water level changing.

Wow! Thank god you made it...

I totally thought this was going to be another.. "hey can i go into a car wash with my hood scoop?" thread...

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

As I said, my friends din't tell me about the Tahoe, and they didn't mention that the minvan was an hour earlier.

As the saying goes "with friends like that who needs enemies".

Wow! Thank god you made it...

I totally thought this was going to be another.. "hey can i go into a car wash with my hood scoop?" thread...

Someone posted that ? and they where serous ? :confused:

Archived