LegacyGT.com

Motor Trend - LGT.B vs MS6

I searched saw no threads:

LGT pwns the MS6! 1st place LGT for teh win!!!11!!1!

Just got my Feb 06 MT magazine. There is a direct head to head comparo article on the spec B vs the Mazdaspeed6.

I havent read it yet but the specs are:

2006 Legacy GT Spec B (5MT)

250/250 hp/tq

3386lbs

0-30 1.7

0-60 5.4

0-100 15.3

1/4 14@96.5

Passing 45-60 3.0

Braking 122ft

Slalom 66.5mph

2006 Mazdaspeed 6 (6MT)

274/280 hp/trq

3574lbs

0-30 1.7

0-60 5.8

0-100 16.0

1/4 14.3 @ 96

Passing 45-60 3.2

Braking 113ft

Slalom 68.1mph

LGT comes first place with more refined quicker performance, the MS6 is slower but has slightly better braking and slalom.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
+ infinity

nope sorry no scanner.

They give kudos to both cars more to the ms6 for handling and more to the lgt for acceleration and refinement. They like the LGT the best overall

"1st place: Legacy GT Spec B - Quick and engaging - but isolated enough for a daily driver

2nd place: Mazdaspeed6 - Crisp handling, cool looks, but not better"

In Beanboys defense, wasnt the original wager on a stock MS6 vs. a stock LGT (non spec.b) -- not that the outcome would have been hugely different, but may have swayed the the braking and slalom far enough ahead to make more of a difference?

i'm very curious to see what they say about the rest of the article... OH, and was that a Mazdaspeed 6 sport, or grand touring model?

Nice 0-60 time on the Spec B .2 quicker than the limited most likely due to the stiffer suspension so less flex during launch.

Actually, .2 slower than the Limited that Autoweek tested. It's all most likely due to car, driver, and track condition variation.

Interesting to see that the LGT out-accelerated and the MS6 out-handled. That's the exact opposite of what I expected...

In Beanboys defense, wasnt the original wager on a stock MS6 vs. a stock LGT (non spec.b) -- not that the outcome would have been hugely different, but may have swayed the the braking and slalom far enough ahead to make more of a difference?

A stock LGT gets All-Suckseasons and a very soft suspension, it cannot be fairly compared against the MS6, which gets Summer radials and a stiffer suspension. If that was his original wager, then it is a pretty weak and easy to win one.

The MS6 vs Spec B is the only valid comparison, since they both get the same Summer radials(RE050) and both have stiffer suspension.

I keed I keeed

The MS6 vs Spec B is the only valid comparison, since they both get the same Summer radials(RE050) and both have stiffer suspension.

I agree with this 100% --- however i'm just stating that Beanboy's original argument was a stock LGT vs. stock MS6. (unless he later amended his position)

The bet was made in the fall of 2004. I don't have a Subaru future product crystal ball. So the bet was indeed made with a regular ol' LGT.

People bet against me, don't blame me for people not realizing it was "weak and easy to win one." :D

2nd post, my original bet:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5705&page=3&pp=10

Did anybody who has actually read this article notice the problem?

The cover page of the article has half of one page of text. The next page REPEATS the text... and is cut off. The third page starts new copy again...

I wonder if it was simply a bad text splice, or if there was half a page worth of text that was lost to a copy repetition error...

What is readable is decent. Good stuff in the rest of this issue of MT, too. Challenger and Imperial, interesting news, etc...

After looking at both LGT Spec B and MS6 cars in person, on the same lot, I would probably buy a discounted Spec B over a MS6. But LGT Limiteds are going for $25k, less than MS6, anyway, and that is even harder to overlook.

With exhaust, AP stage two, a 20mm rear sway bar, lowering springs, better tires and brake pads on the LGT 5MT, the MS6 likely stands no chance, which is pretty much all doable within or around that $5k that the LGT saves over the MS6. Can we say clincher?

Also here's hoping SOA steps up the game. Coupes and sport sedans are on the rise, and all sorts of companies have them in the pipeline. SOA needs to strike while the iron is hot, so to speak.

Friggin' Mazda. The Spec B was a mere gleam in Subaru Corporate's eye when the bet was made years ago. Grrr...

14 flat is nice to see for the Spec B. Curious what the 60ft time was.

-B

I would think that the acceleration times for the stock LGT and the Spec B should be equivalent since they have exactly the same motor, gearing and drivetrain.....

not gearing. with an inch greater diameter tires, the gearing is slightly taller.

It has 18" wheels, and the tires are higher profile than the GT wheels and tires, adjusted for plus one.

Different diameter tires raise the final drive ratio, meaning slightly less accelleration, slightly higher top speed. (theoretically, if aerodynamic drag isn't the limiting factor)

I'm not trying to start trouble but I seriously don't understand why the expectations were so high for the Mazdaspeed6. I understand that it's comparable to the LGT, but why were so many expecting such a huge difference?

It couldn't have been the hp, so many slow cars have more horsepower.

There's nothing groundbreaking in the chassis or suspension department.

And last but certainly not least, it's heavy.

/me scratches head

not a pwning by any means, but of course people are going to favor the LGT in comparison

# years Subaru has had turbos/awd in production vehicles?

# years Mazda has had turbos/awd in production vehicles?

If you can read this, you're following too close.

Click Me

Archived