LegacyGT.com

Flywheel with clutch question

Find a used SMFW and have it resurfaced. I paid like $140 for one in great shape including resurfacing. Install was $500 for my clutch along with GroupN Trans mount and Xmember bushings at a performance Subaru shop. 8-900 seems ridiculous.

don't really have a performance Subaru shop around here. I'll call around before hand but a "Japanese auto" shop quoted me $700 to install my clutch about a year ago. Plus, I'm wanting to do the timing belt at the same time as I'm at 104xxx and figured it might be a LITTLE easier with everything pulled and whatnot...

don't really have a performance Subaru shop around here. I'll call around before hand but a "Japanese auto" shop quoted me $700 to install my clutch about a year ago. Plus, I'm wanting to do the timing belt at the same time as I'm at 104xxx and figured it might be a LITTLE easier with everything pulled and whatnot...

Are you doing the work or having it done ?

If your doing it, I'd do one job at a time, make sure that works then do the net job.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

550 for the labor seems about right, if you've ever pulled the tranny you'd know why.

I wonder why they don't like Clutch Masters ?

Others don't like Spec, others don't like Exedy, some hate ACT. others.... well, I guess you get the point.

IMO most of the problems are caused by the install, yes nothing is perfect, but if one company was that bad, they'd be out of bussiness.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yes just the ability to drive in 5th gear at a slow speed, like what happens in a line of cars traveling along a road.

As you know the LWFW will increase driveline noise when you lift off the throttle in higher gears, I have learned to coast going down hills.

We have a lot of them around where I live.

If I had it to do over, I would not get a LWFW.

The other change is the engine rpms drop a lot faster in my wagon, (Spec LWFW) then they do in my Spec B (OEM FW).

+1 on this and glad I saved my OEM Flywheel. It will be going back in my Spec b (after resurfacing) with the next clutch change.

I've had a lwfw on previous cars and kind of knew I didn't want one again, but when I went to get a new clutch I was under the impression that since I was using an STI clutch fitment I would also need a STI fitment flywheel. Turns out that is not the case but I felt better doing it all at once at the time.

The noise alone is not worth it but there are certainly drivability issues as well. I've got my idle RPMs at 1000 now to make driving it suck less. I'm mostly used to the drivability changes at this point, but the noise increase drives me nuts at times.

550 for the labor seems about right, if you've ever pulled the tranny you'd know why.

Others don't like Spec, others don't like Exedy, some hate ACT. others.... well, I guess you get the point.

IMO most of the problems are caused by the install, yes nothing is perfect, but if one company was that bad, they'd be out of bussiness.

oh, I understand. That's why I would never attempt it. But yeah that doesn't seem too bad of a price. But they pretty much shat on every clutch besides OEM and Exedy. Said they've never had to do a tsk3 install either. And I know from driving past the place, they work on A LOT of subarus(pure tuning, Toledo, oh) I'll be calling around more today or Monday to get quotes.

+1 on this and glad I saved my OEM Flywheel. It will be going back in my Spec b (after resurfacing) with the next clutch change.

I've had a lwfw on previous cars and kind of knew I didn't want one again, but when I went to get a new clutch I was under the impression that since I was using an STI clutch fitment I would also need a STI fitment flywheel. Turns out that is not the case but I felt better doing it all at once at the time.

The noise alone is not worth it but there are certainly drivability issues as well. I've got my idle RPMs at 1000 now to make driving it suck less. I'm mostly used to the drivability changes at this point, but the noise increase drives me nuts at times.

You should just sell me your smfw for the low low. ;)

But in all seriousness, this was my first lwfw I've ever had and I now realize it was the wrong choice. So many unpleasant noises coming from down there. Thought for a while my tranny was going out until I read up on the lwfw and tob issues with this car.

• Moderators

$500 was the quote I got, and yes, for the amount of labor involved that's a completely reasonable price.

I agree with you though, Max. There are a number of things that I did during install that I seriously doubt a shop would have done--namely cleaning and re-greasing EVERYTHING, and replacing anything that was worn. I like doing installs myself when possible because I know exactly what gets done and what doesn't.

If I didn't have a garage / tools and the ability to deal with the car being down for a number of days in a row I would never tackle a clutch job.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I never understood the fascination with pad-type clutches for daily drivers.

mines a segmented clutch ...and i only did this as a upgrade cause next yr its getting a turbo swap...

why would i put a stock clutch back in my car when the first one didnt hold power

drivability is great , pedal is light like stock ..

its not a race clutch .....

and im very pleased i did it

LWFW is the worst mod I've ever done to my car.

+1. I'd strongly suggest getting a WRX SMFW and ditching the LWFW. The LFWF is fun to drive when there is no one else on the road.. Aside from that, it's a PITA. Plus, you take away the ability to dampen the vibrations, leading to the driveability issues Max Capacity mentioned.

Also, I'd avoid the ACT clutch.. I installed one and have had some issues; I'm fairly certain my clutch disk or pressure plate is on its way out after 20k miles. Its still holding power well, but the engagement wanders and there has been a ton of chatter from the beginning.

WRX SMFW and a CM350 sounds like the best setup overall.

I'm not sure I agree.. Some of the bigger clutch manufacturers could just have model specific clutches that are bad.. a few failing part lines aren't going to bring down a company that has had success on another platform. The AWD system in Subaru's brings different requirements to a clutch builder.. Is it possible that some of these manufacturers just haven't had success on our platform?

Archived