LegacyGT.com

Flywheel with clutch question

So I recently got an "F1" brand stage 2 clutch kit put in my car, "lightweight" flywheel and all. I now have to replace the clutch, thinking of putting a spec 2 or 2+ in it now...

my main concern is, do I need to replace the flywheel...there's maybe 20k on the aftermarket flywheel in there now. I would love to be able to throw the clutch, pressure plate, and tob in there and be set. But I suppose I'm being cheap and should probably just buy a new spec flywheel, but wanted your guys' feedback first. Thanks

Why would you want to use a Spec clutch?

Want to make two bad clutch decisions in a row?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Spec can blow me. They labeled my clutch disc backwards which naturally got installed the wrong way because of it. Spec offered no sort of reimbursement for their f up or the wear on the clutch and pressure plate.

They did the same thing to another member here too.

hmm...interesting.

I would love to go with clutchmasters...but they're a little pricy. Act is always an option, I suppose.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

from my understanding, spec was one of the reputable and more reliable brands...no?

The only favorable review I have ever hear is from Max Capacity. I put a stage 5 racing clutch in a 92 legacy with a JDM WRX swap and it would not even hold to merge with traffic. Go to their website. No favorable reviews even on their own site in the feedback area.

If you woke up today, you have another chance to do it right.

i got a custom clutch made for my install .. as it turns out it was cheaper then getting any other stage 2 clutch.. i used hr clutch in bristol pa....they been around 60 yrs and know there shit ..

mines rated for 450 hp, 450 tq at the fw (which is over what im going ) but smooth, light pedal like stock... id go there again anytime.

i did a 08 lgt smfw, exedy pp, tob, pivot bearing, and they used the exedy clutch center with there custom lining on it .

looks full face only it has 8 little puck like shoes on it , holds like a bear

id recommend them to anyone

looks full face only it has 8 little puck like shoes on it , holds like a bear

I never understood the fascination with pad-type clutches for daily drivers.

thanks for the input and opinions guys! really do appreciate it.

so, my second question is:

if i were to go with a cm fx350, could i use my original "aftermarket" flywheel or should i purchase a single mass?

thanks for the input and opinions guys! really do appreciate it.

so, my second question is:

if i were to go with a cm fx350, could i use my original "aftermarket" flywheel or should i purchase a single mass?

You can use your current fly wheel.

thanks all for the responses.

now would there be an advantage to buy a brand new WRX 06+ smfw and throw my aftermarket lwfw out?

FWIW, smfw = 24.5lbs and my lwfw is 13.7lbs.

i know i'll probably get more noise and chatter, but is that all?

You'll loose driveability. You won't be able to drive in 5th gear at 40mph.

interesting...by driveability, do you mean it will just stall out? Ride ruff? Destroy something? Would it hurt anything to keep the lwfw? I don't ever plan doing 40 while in 5th gear...or 4th gear for that matter...

Yes just the ability to drive in 5th gear at a slow speed, like what happens in a line of cars traveling along a road.

As you know the LWFW will increase driveline noise when you lift off the throttle in higher gears, I have learned to coast going down hills.

We have a lot of them around where I live.

If I had it to do over, I would not get a LWFW.

The other change is the engine rpms drop a lot faster in my wagon, (Spec LWFW) then they do in my Spec B (OEM FW).

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

right on. A single mass is just an extra $260 on top of the cm fx350 and tsk3 kit...talking over $1k just for the clutch and another $800-$900 for the installation. I will probably just keep my lwfw in unless I can find a smfw for the low. Or locally. We shall see..

Archived