LegacyGT.com

Swapping my clutch - Journal / Q&A Thread

Yeah. When my timing belt tensioner failed while driving during winter, pulling a 2500 lbs trailer in the middle of nowhere in Sweden (:eek:), I had to replace my timing belt and all related components. I did it by myself with the help of my spouse and some forum members via the internet in a cold garage (25F temp not too bad I guess).

We pulled it off and the engine was fine after that (i.e. no bent valves!). We were so proud of ourselves, beyond words. Amazing feeling.

Anyways, back to clutch discussion :spin:.

I remember that. ;)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I enjoyed doing my own clutch. PITA for sure but I get satisfaction out of doing the job myself and learning in the process. I didn't really have to deal with having my only car down though and took almost a week to complete it. I also definitely ran into a couple hiccups, but nothing that didn't work out in the end.

I see for sure why it's a $500 job and it's honestly worth every penny if you ask me.

the install was indeed a great experience, got to touch my baby in places i aint never seen before.. hehe

nah but my car came apart and went back together rather easily.

took me and my good friend with all the right tools, and a tranny jack 6 hours total labor. excluding taking breaks for lunch and dinner. all together 8 hours. test driving around 8pm

I remember that. ;)

Yeah I know. Thanks again for your help during that time.

the install was indeed a great experience, got to touch my baby in places i aint never seen before.. hehe

nah but my car came apart and went back together rather easily.

took me and my good friend with all the right tools, and a tranny jack 6 hours total labor. excluding taking breaks for lunch and dinner. all together 8 hours. test driving around 8pm

Good job man.

• 4 weeks later...
Did you have to buy any extra gaskets or seals or anything? I just ordered the fx350, oem smfw, and the tsk1 kit and was planning on doing this over the weekend and what to make sure I have everything I need before then. Thanks

• Moderators
Did you have to buy any extra gaskets or seals or anything? I just ordered the fx350, oem smfw, and the tsk1 kit and was planning on doing this over the weekend and what to make sure I have everything I need before then. Thanks

No gaskets needed, just some grease.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I think this kit is for non turbo. Maybe it fits as well, but usually we get the tsk3 kit. If you're not sure, PM Fredbeansparts to confirm.

TSK1 does NOT fit. I was sent it by mistake, and the TOB is too narrow for the clutch fork to fit.

Turbo vehices HAVE TO have the TSK3 kit.

Make sure you don't over grease anything exspecialy the input shaft.

That grease slings by the normal revolutions of the engine if applied to thick.

If that grease even touches the new clutch disc(friction material), Its over for dat.

You WILL be replacing it, sooner than ya think.

Archived