LegacyGT.com

MPG displays "ERR", odometer flashes "------"

• 1 month later...

Any update , been through the same problems for some time. I also changed to another unit no good, replaced the battery and terminals a month ago so no problems there, however I changed out the front seats last summer think I’m going to check all the connections under there.

Been trying to get the subaru tech line number from my two local dealers have no luck yet.

• 2 months later...

Well today when I picked the car up from the Dealer for the passenger side air recall again. They told me they could not get the Err to show up in the Combo meter.

I had mentioned it when I dropped the car off. They tried for 20 minutes to see it, but couldn't. They told me they have never heard of this issue.

So of course when I go start the car, its reading 57F, for a few seconds. Then guess what, Err pop's up. I drive back over tot he service bay drop off, leave the car running and say, come here...now do you want to see the Err.

They took a video, called a few of the tech's over to see it. One guy said "its most likely the air temp probe out front". I said no not it. I have already swapped it with the one from my 2009 Spec B. Still does it, guess again. His next thought was a short somewhere.

They are going to look into the system and give me a call if they can come up with a fix.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Well today when I picked the car up from the Dealer for the passenger side air recall again. They told me they could not get the Err to show up in the Combo meter.

I had mentioned it when I dropped the car off. They tried for 20 minutes to see it, but couldn't. They told me they have never heard of this issue.

So of course when I go start the car, its reading 57F, for a few seconds. Then guess what, Err pop's up. I drive back over tot he service bay drop off, leave the car running and say, come here...now do you want to see the Err.

They took a video, called a few of the tech's over to see it. One guy said "its most likely the air temp probe out front". I said no not it. I have already swapped it with the one from my 2009 Spec B. Still does it, guess again. His next thought was a short somewhere.

They are going to look into the system and give me a call if they can come up with a fix.

You should ask them to look into the TPMS wires under driver seat to see if they are corroded (from a post above). I haven't looked into that yet for mine as I didn't feel lime removing my seat. Mine was on all winter if I didn't have my dash lights at 1 on the dial. Now that it's not winter, I haven't seen it back, even with lighting dial at 6.

Well checked every connection under the seat a week ago nothing still err,Now as of friday morning it been working.

Friday afternoon I received a really clean replacement from a subi recycler thats sitting on my desk until it pops up again, so really no clue whats causing

this.

Gremlins maybe.

• 10 months later...

Bumping this back up.

I finally had some time to remove my seat today. I had some other stiff to do with the battery disconnected so I figured it was a good time.

As the TSB notes, there is a 12 pin connector under the driver seat on 2005 LGT models for TPMS that is not connected to anything. As the TSB notes, I cut the harness off. Rather than tape up wires, I used heat shrink and then taped after. We'll see if it fixes the "ERR" from the console.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey rhino6303, any update?

I've had the flashing and steady "ERR" popping up in the console display for probably the past 3 years. It's gotten to the point where 95% of the time now it just shows "ERR" constantly. I have no problem cutting off the connector under the seat if that will fix it.

I was trying to find the TSB that has been referenced. The only one I can find is #08-36-05, which refers to "Er SP" being shown in the odometer display, which I thought was a whole different issue from "ERR" in the center console display.

08-36-05-1.thumb.jpg.ecbeeb139993b28c5aa16c24a37dd349.jpg

08-36-05-2.thumb.jpg.4c1d7ecdc711e62b45ac7831ad921b2f.jpg

08-36-05-3.thumb.jpg.593a2b6364fd3bec308a3d8b83cd9e8d.jpg

08-36-05-4.thumb.jpg.78a8a7752074cd781d902c5fafdf7725.jpg

Hey rhino6303, any update?

I've had the flashing and steady "ERR" popping up in the console display for probably the past 3 years. It's gotten to the point where 95% of the time now it just shows "ERR" constantly. I have no problem cutting off the connector under the seat if that will fix it.

I was trying to find the TSB that has been referenced. The only one I can find is #08-36-05, which refers to "Er SP" being shown in the odometer display, which I thought was a whole different issue from "ERR" in the center console display.

Didn't work. Still get the flashing ERR. Oddly enough I just redid some wiring to the dash dimming switch (headlight leveling and folding mirrors) before a 8 hour drive. It stayed off the entire trip until I restarted the car this morning. Ugh. It's so annoying and probably means the BIU needs replaced but I'm not doing that.

I have replaced the dimming switch...it didn't help...:( I do have my old one in the box on the shelf in the shed...

I do find that by keeping the dimmer at brightness of 2 or less, it seems to help when the headlights are on. Stops the flashing or showing ERR

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Didn't work. Still get the flashing ERR. Oddly enough I just redid some wiring to the dash dimming switch (headlight leveling and folding mirrors) before a 8 hour drive. It stayed off the entire trip until I restarted the car this morning. Ugh. It's so annoying and probably means the BIU needs replaced but I'm not doing that.

Well, thanks for the report, but I'm sorry it didn't work. It is very annoying, and I keep hoping there will be an easy fix.

I do find that by keeping the dimmer at brightness of 2 or less, it seems to help when the headlights are on. Stops the flashing or showing ERR

That used to work for me, I actually haven't tried it in a while, I'll have to remember to try it again.

For me this started accruing after the airbag recall. in my wagon if you tap on the dash above the instruments it goes away sometimes leads me to believe it's some ground problem, the last few weeks only came up twice.

My daughter gave me a strip of electrical tape so when it happens she doesn't

have listen to me complain about it :lol:

• 3 months later...

Mine seems to be slowly getting worse. I went for a bit of a scenic drive yesterday, and it displayed a solid "ERR" just about the whole 3 hour trip. When I got home, I played around with it and with the lights (parking or headlights) on, setting the dimmer switch to 2 or dimmer made the ERR go away every time. As soon as I went to 3 or higher, it came back. When the lights are off, the dimmer switch has no effect. So, same as rhino, Steve, and Max (and probably others) have reported.

I haven't really tried anything to fix it.... I keep hoping someone will come up with the magic solution! But, I can confirm mine acts the same way.

Next time you have the front bumper off, make sure all the connections for that temp sensor are clean, including the grounds. If you find and follow the wiring, I believe there is a ground connection in the right front corner behind the bumper.

That's one place to start. Next time your at the dealership, maybe show the service tech and see if they know about the issue... let them know if they can figure out the fix and give you a price, it might be worth fixing. If not, a piece of black tape over the ERR will work fine.

• 7 months later...

Well I cut the tpms plug as advised from my local service manager, guess what

still have the err :mad:

This is just crazy, im not giving up yet, I like my wagon to much

Steve

Edited by Steve ko

Well I cut the tpms plug as advised from my local service manager, guess what

still have the err :mad:

This is just crazy, im not giving up yet, I like my wagon to much

Steve

I didn't drive my car this winter but I swapped in a new oem alternator and haven't seen the err since. It may be that I haven't driven enough to notice it but it may have solved my issue.

• 1 year later...

Thread Bump. 2006 OBXT just started having this issue. Was intermittent through the entire 2 hours it was running. By the time I got home it was working. Reading threads else ware it sounds like a can bus com error. Curious if it's just a simple solder joint issue like the airbag fault.

There is another intermittent Airbag fault that I have been ignoring for years. Usually goes away after a restart. But this is a different topic.

• 1 month later...

I believe I finally found a real culprit to this problem. My '09 Tribeca started having the same err fault in the lcd info/radio screen. Took the screen apart to see the terminals soldered to the board were slightly corroded and looked brittle. I took my soldering iron and reflowed them. Happy to report that the err went away immediately and hasn't returned in over a month.

On the '05 LGT, I pulled the mpg display and saw two things: 1. The pins for the connector are extremely long for no real reason. 2. The solder looked the same as the '09, brittle and corroded. I also did a reflow on those. Unfortunately I can't test it since my car is torn apart still but I'm guessing this is the real issue for the err.

• Thanks 1

Are you saying you re-flowed the solder on the plug in connector ?

Because I have replaced the display and had the same issue. I did nothing to the connector.

1 hour ago, Max Capacity said:

Are you saying you re-flowed the solder on the plug in connector ?

Because I have replaced the display and had the same issue. I did nothing to the connector.

The pins for the connector on the pcb side.

I think you used a clock display from a junkyard, correct? That may still have the same issue. In fact, it may be worse by sitting out in weather changes year round.

Edited by rhino6303

Yes it was from the junkyard. I do have the old one that came out of the wagon.

So you're talking about those appox. 1/2" long in that are in that stand-off part of the display.  I gather you removed that silver tape and popped the display open ?

DSCN0213.JPG

DSCN0214.JPG

Just had a report mine was doing it again. Daughter let me know, I hadn't seen it happen again since October.

But she's the primary driver of the car these days.

Getting hard to find a few open days in her schedule to work on the beast.

6 hours ago, Max Capacity said:

Yes it was from the junkyard. I do have the old one that came out of the wagon.

So you're talking about those appox. 1/2" long in that are in that stand-off part of the display.  I gather you removed that silver tape and popped the display open ?

DSCN0213.JPG

DSCN0214.JPG

Yes. Those pins. Pop off the cover, remove the pcb and then refloe the solder. I'll take a picture and post it.

• Thanks 1