LegacyGT.com

MPG displays "ERR", odometer flashes "------"

Changing the dimming of the dash lights without the headlights or parking lights on dose nothing.

On the ride home from work today the parking light switch on the column didn't seem to do anything. I had other things on my mind so I don't recall exactly.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I've been digging in the fsm wiring diagrams and found what I think are all pertinent grounds. A couple were mentioned earlier in this thread by ehsnils.

Clock (where ERR flashes): GB-3

BIU: GB-4

Illumination: GR

Lighting: GB-6

Interior: GB-7

General locations based off fsm:

GB-3: Interior, right, lower

GB-4: Interior, left door/firewall

GR: Interior, center, lower

GB-6: Interior, right-center, firewall, upper

GB-7: Interior, right door/firewall

Here are pictures of what I believe is GR, GB-6 and GB-7.

bb978dcdcd4c0c2971792222edd86fb7.jpga6541377a954cc52db277897cf5c1517.jpg09931bb6421e3aa422cf1da8046e4e68.jpg

Edited by rhino6303

Yesterday, in between other home projects, I replaced the OEM bolt and washers hold the ground wire behind the fuse box under the hood on the left shock tower. I stuck a wire brush pipe cleaned in the threads on the shock tower and used some 120 grit sandpaper to clean up the contact patch where the ground wire connects, also used the 120 grit paper on the ground terminal.

I also replaced the washers on the bolt as the OEM washers are part of the bolt.

Made it to work today, 32 miles with no problem. But it's been on the drive home from work where the Err has popped up the past few day's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Yesterday, in between other home projects, I replaced the OEM bolt and washers hold the ground wire behind the fuse box under the hood on the left shock tower. I stuck a wire brush pipe cleaned in the threads on the shock tower and used some 120 grit sandpaper to clean up the contact patch where the ground wire connects, also used the 120 grit paper on the ground terminal.

I also replaced the washers on the bolt as the OEM washers are part of the bolt.

Made it to work today, 32 miles with no problem. But it's been on the drive home from work where the Err has popped up the past few day's.

Did you also put some lubrication/grease on the grounding point to avoid future corrosion?

453747.png

Did you also put some lubrication/grease on the grounding point to avoid future corrosion?

I plan to do that when I have confidence I've done all I can to this one ground location. Next will be the replace the terminal.

On the ride home yesterday the Err began to flash again, sometimes.

The cure for the flashing Err is to turn on the headlights or running light so the dash lights come on and roll the dimmer to zero illumination and then keep it below 2 Ill.

Little while later after turning the lights off, the Err would come back solid, on flashing. Seems like turning on the parking lights from the switch on top of the steering column would stop that sometimes.

Other times it would just go back to reading the display after a few seconds.

Didn't play with that ground wire last night, had other projects...

is it ERR or ERR 55(SS)?

This is the dash display under the in dash cubby we're talking about. Not the odometer display.

I don't think any grounds in the engine bay will help with this issue as none are tied to the clock.

I don't see how the under the dash grounds could be an issue unless the car got really wet which may induce corrosion. ;)

Any ways, have I read this before I did what I did today, I may not have.

Yeah, I cut that old terminal off that ground wire behind under hood fuse box and replaced it.

I will say today on the ride home the display read fine, yet the drive to work, BTW it was 36F when I left the house this morning for work, the display went through its issues a few times. I will say that when its a solid Err, it seems to reset its self after a few seconds.

I'll see what happens on tomorrow drive... LOL

I just stated that they should be checked since condensation can take a toll too.

Anyone ever tried to disconnect and reconnect the BIU just to make sure it's not the contacts there that's acting up?

453747.png

I'm a dummy as to where the Body Integration Unit is ?

FWIW, my Display pretty much flashed all the way to work today. Only turning on the headlights with the dimmer wheel at 2 or lower would stop it.

I guess I need to figure out how to get to the connection between the, combination meter and the clock.

"If an abnormality is detected in the communication between the combination

meter and clock unit or in the received data, “Err” is displayed"

• 2 months later...

Signed up as I have an Aussie Outback BP9 which had a dead clock/trip unit when I bought it, which I thought would be an easy fix! Although I spent hours on it, tracing it to a few poorly soldered surface mount components, I never got the original unit working in the car. Quite by chance I found a later model in a scrapyard with a working unit for a good price and triumphantly plugged it into mine. To find they changed the mpg calculation (from l/100km to km/l). Really annoyed, with reference to my original unit, I speculated that there are two 'options' for two smd components. Swapped each one to the alternate patch on the PCB and BINGO! It swaps the mpg calculation. But after a little while, the damn display flashes 'Err' on me. This is by far the best thread I've read on this and I wanted to chime in with two things I've noticed that might be relevant.

1. These cars commonly leak leading to a musty smell from the carpet. On my car, I think it's when the drivers (rhs for us) window isn't adjusted properly, water can get through the seal and wicks down the roof pillar into the foot well. I had thought it was the fresh air vent drain that was getting clogged, which is another known weakness, but I've seen a small damp patch on the roof pillar trim, and the wettest part of the carpet is the sill at the corner of the door frame under the pillar. So I can see a good reason that grounds in the cabin could get corroded leading to intermittent electrical problems, which is a possible factor here and was questioned.

2. I think it's more likely to be dodgy solder joints in the clock unit. These units run stupidly hot and so I think the regular heating/cooling cycle just cracks solder joints. I heard someone on some forum suggest these were the early days of lead free solder and that made them brittle. On my original unit, the display failed, but taking off the plastic case allows gentle flexing of the PCB, which would bring it back to life and I traced it to a poorly soldered resistor. Unfortunately I lacked a good soldering iron back then and ended up breaking stuff faster than I fixed it. As I said, it never made it back into the car on a permanent basis - but does now work. I've reflowed my 'new' one twice with a hot air gun and it displays 'err' most often when the car is cold. Once warmed up a bit, the display is usually OK and for the first time since I got the car in 2014, I have a working trip computer for 98% of the time. But it could be an earthing issue so I'd be curious to know if any of you ever found out how to get to the wiring between the clock unit and earth? Especially GB-3. I will try playing with the illumination levels next time it plays up.

Edited by WRXGC82000

Thanks for chiming in. We'll be interested in your findings.

My 05 still flashes Err from time to time may be once every other week or so if not longer.

I did stop by a junkyard the other week but they only had 2.5i's no GT's...duh, didn't think to ask if they a Outback XT...

More entertainment on the ride home today.

Noticed the Err flash and then saw "600 miles to empty", that flashed for about 6 times. Then it read 14F for a outside air temp, then Began flashing Err for about a mile then came back to a normal 78F.

LOL

• 4 weeks later...

So, after putting up with the Err and Flashing Err most of last week, it even flashed 680 and 320 once, I stopped by the Dealer a couple day's ago to price a Multi Display even with my discount it was still close to $170. They said to go look in the junk yards.

On car-parts.com I found one in the state for $29.99 and $10 shipping. I should have it early next week.

Oh, by the way, since stopping by the dealers the display has worked great...

On my wife's 06 2.5i wagon the battery was going down every 2 or 3 days of non use. I did some digging into it and found the info display was flashing ACC and some times ERR also the overhead airbag light was on 24/7.

I discovered that there is a TSB for the TPMS connector on these MY that is not used in this version. The problem is it is tucked away under the drivers seat carpet and gets corrosion in the connector causing a resistance connection between contacts. The TSB say's to cut the green wire and tape it off.

I did this and all is good!

That is correct it is an unused connector that is taped to the harness.

TPMS was apparently an option on some of the H6 models but the connector is on all. The open end on the connector allows corrosion to grow on the fine contact connector.

I found a nice green line growing across the face of the connector.

Just checked the dash light's, nothing about a TPMS light. I'll check under the seat soon.

Got a email from UPS, the clock I ordered from the junk yard on Friday will be here tomorrow.

Well it looks like I may have to look into the wires under the drivers seat and see what's there. While driving today, the junkyard clock display, it started flashing Err...

• 3 months later...

Knock on wood.

After putting up with the flashing light the past few weeks, the other day it was 70F here, so I decided it was a good time to clean the battery terminals.

It's only been a couple day's but the display has worked great. I did make sure I did a great job cleaning the terminals.

I do recall every early on, say the Fall of 2004, the radio would do funny things. A few of us here discovered the battery terminals were not installed to the highest standards...

Cleaned them, tighten them...the radio worked great.

Another observation, the rear wiper now works at a faster speed since cleaning the terminals... Still sticks sometimes when I turn it on, but after a few seconds it begins to move again and keep working, on either setting.

Sometimes I turn it on and it just works like normal. This is the second wiper motor back there. It's not that important, but nice to have sometimes.