LegacyGT.com

Any one else speed with the kids?

Balrock

:(

I try not to go over 80 with friends in the car. I have my moments on the road where I'm passing someone that is going way to slow, but for the most part, I'm trying to make sure that I live a long life and people around me safe from me as well.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There have been a few occasions where I have had to do 110+ with the wife and kids in the car. To my surprise the wife did not say much till about 100 and 10 more miles came fast enough that I could not help myself.

Lets see, once was with a 04 GTO, that was actually close to 120. he was pulling away, buy VERY slowly. I am bone stock before anyone asks.

Another time was with a Saab Viggen. Too much traffic to pass him, but when we got some clear distance I was up his rear side. I know I would take him from a stop, but when one is going that fast a great deal of distance is needed for passing. about 100 or so

One more I recall is a SRT-4 . I know I would have had my 4 doors handed to me, so I just cock blocked him from sling shotting me by keeping up with other traffic and speeding up beteween cars 100 - 105.

Just wondered if anyone else did this stuff?

yeah my wife actually nudges me on and throws her middle finga out

the sunroof when we blow by a car that's trying to take us on, and

yeah I got a 14 and 16 year olds in the back- it's gonna be hard

convincing my teens not to speed when they see their parents

acting like they do lol.... BUT MAN SOME DRIVERS JUST GET UNDER

MY SKIN LOL!!!!

I'll put my car in valet mode when either of my kids borrow it ... thehehehe =)

With my daughter in the car, I keep it at 80mph on the highway which is slightly faster than average in my area. Frankly, I think it's safer to be going slightly faster than traffic anyway. It's easier to keep track of people around me that way.

On back roads, I go at a normal pace and try to drive as smoothly as possible. She's only 7 weeks old so I don't want her little head flopping back and forth too much.

As for going 110 with the kids in the car because someone else is doing that, that's just stupid.

Sorry, just don't see the humor in speeding with kids in the car. Not only does it set a bad example, but it's just plain irresponsible.

Just this past sunday 2 teenagers in their moms mini-van wrecked while exiting onto a 2 lane road close to my house. Kid overshot the exit, swerved across the opposite lane (luckily noone there), hit the hill head on and flipped it on its roof blowing out all the windows.

Luckily they were both ok.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Luckily they were both ok.

Still stupid, but ok. If that was my car they would wish the crash took thier lives. Everyone is born with common sense not everyone uses it. A minivan will not ever corner like a race car. These kids survived which will only heighten thier sense of invulnerabilty.

yeah my wife actually nudges me on and throws her middle finga out

the sunroof when we blow by a car that's trying to take us on, and

yeah I got a 14 and 16 year olds in the back- it's gonna be hard

convincing my teens not to speed when they see their parents

acting like they do lol.... BUT MAN SOME DRIVERS JUST GET UNDER

MY SKIN LOL!!!!

I'll put my car in valet mode when either of my kids borrow it ... thehehehe =)

It's real easy....."Do as I say, not as I do". If I got a ticket my parents would freak. Hell, I had my own policy at 16 because my folks were terrified I'd kill somone.

The need to make the driving age 18yrs old. And then revoke the 85+ year olds licenses.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

all time favorite past times on long road trips. Miles fly by when you're messing with other people!

I do zero jack arse driving with the wyf and kid in the car - only when by myself or buddies that encourage that kind of behavior.

32 going on 17.

I know I would have had my 4 doors handed to me, so I just cock blocked him from sling shotting me by keeping up with other traffic and speeding up beteween cars 100 - 105.

all time favorite past times on long road trips. Miles fly by when you're messing with other people!

Guilty. Two punks 1 Hondah + 1 Mom's Minivan. Two lane road. Well Drilling truck two cars ahead. No passing zone, limit drops down to 35. Saw Honda boy too late but no way Minivan puke was getting in. Closed the gap, sorry shot down. For his lesson I recieved fist pumping and fingers. Priceless. :lol:

32 going on 17.

:dm:

And I thought I was bad...guess 30 going on 15 is nothing. :lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

It's real easy....."Do as I say, not as I do". If I got a ticket my parents would freak. Hell, I had my own policy at 16 because my folks were terrified I'd kill somone.

The need to make the driving age 18yrs old. And then revoke the 85+ year olds licenses.

Tho' I speed on occasion with the kids ( on highway & straight no weaving )

I keep telling them there's a time and place for everything. In residential

areas _I go below the posted limit_ and remind them to do the same once

they have their licenses. Basically occasionally speeding is OK so long as you

use good judgement, choose your time and location carefully, and don't go

ballistic ( heck I saw some cops doing some crazy things that were REAL

dangerous and life threatening- even to themselves ).

All you can do is hope your kids pick up on your good judgement, you KNOW

they will speed, but you would like them to do it in a way that would

do you proud.. besides most kids like torque or the 'kick in your pants'

feeling more than absolute brute speed ( which could be realized within

posted speed limits ). A torquey engine could be a lot of fun without necessarily going very fast and unsafe (!)

Only time I pushed it was up an arrow straight highway hill with the family in the car to do a spirited jaunt with an Altima. I took it from a steady cruise at 65 up to about 100MPH and then backed off quick. That was the only time I can remember.

The guilt of something happening to them would be too much.

I'm also not interested in looking like a jackass on city streets even with only me in the car... seeing idiots weaving and speeding around in the city makes my blood boil.

dan_m,

Well said, and well done. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

And also, driving a little fast in the LGT is like 10x's more "safe" than say in a tercel or something with 120/13 series tires.. where you are in the upper range of that cars limit.. at 80/90 in the LGT, you are barely exercising the car..

Im not saying it will be any different if you hit somebody in the LGT versus a tercel as far as ultimate damage, but as far as the car itself is concerned.. the LGT is much safer at those speeds than a tercel.

Its a night n day difference in my car vs the wifes 02 Elantra GLS. At 80mph, her car is very unstable and you really have to pay attention to any manuvers you may make.. where at 80 in my car, it basically drives itself. This is at everyday Garden State Parkway speeds.. if your not doing 80 you better be in the slow lane.. even there youll get people passing you.

^^^

Man! :mad:

That, together with Keefe's last post in the "Raced a GIRL today" thread, now I'm wondering where all y'all get your girls from! :confused:

I thought myself lucky that my lovely wifey liked movie-theater nachos and KFC (er....separately, heck, even I wouldn't like THAT combination TOGETHER!) - you guys seem to have gotten much better bargains than I did! :p

;):lol:

my girlfriend is a speedfreak...she doesnt mind as long as im not being done

shes coming from a 580hp supra, 10.7s rx7 and a built sr20det 240sx, so you can see why ;)

:lol: Plan on being the one driving the Minivan. :lol:

^^^

Man! :mad:

That, together with Keefe's last post in the "Raced a GIRL today" thread, now I'm wondering where all y'all get your girls from! :confused:

I thought myself lucky that my lovely wifey liked movie-theater nachos and KFC (er....separately, heck, even I wouldn't like THAT combination TOGETHER!) - you guys seem to have gotten much better bargains than I did! :p

;):lol:

hehe..

when my wife takes out her rex and I goy my LGT, it takes about

-1 secs before we start taking each other on ...lol

- all good ( and safe ) fun :):)

... of course I always let her win, I am a gentleman you know

PLUS I know I will reap certain rewards later that nite when I tell her

how good and BAD she is at the same time ....hehe :p

hehe..

when my wife takes out her rex and I goy my LGT, it takes about

-1 secs before we start taking each other on ...lol

- all good ( and safe ) fun :):)

I would say something nasty but that would only get deleted. :lol:

So THAT is what I've been doing wrong!

:lol:

There is no occasion where you HAVE to do 110 with kids in the car.

sorry but a faster car is also a SAFER car

it keeps your options open in case of an emergency

if I need to get up to 110 in a hurry I know I can, and

that's a reassuring feeling regardless if my kids are with

me or not. If I NEED to, then I know I CAN. So

far there hasn't been any reason to do so but you

never know what could happen on the road

( things happen really fast sometimes ).

Archived