LegacyGT.com

Any one else speed with the kids?

Balrock

There have been a few occasions where I have had to do 110+ with the wife and kids in the car. To my surprise the wife did not say much till about 100 and 10 more miles came fast enough that I could not help myself.

Lets see, once was with a 04 GTO, that was actually close to 120. he was pulling away, buy VERY slowly. I am bone stock before anyone asks.

Another time was with a Saab Viggen. Too much traffic to pass him, but when we got some clear distance I was up his rear side. I know I would take him from a stop, but when one is going that fast a great deal of distance is needed for passing. about 100 or so

One more I recall is a SRT-4 . I know I would have had my 4 doors handed to me, so I just cock blocked him from sling shotting me by keeping up with other traffic and speeding up beteween cars 100 - 105.

Just wondered if anyone else did this stuff?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll give it a run when traffic permits it, but I must say, I actually go out of my way not to do any aggressive driving when I have my boys with me, let alone the wife! I wouldn't want to unnecessarily endanger their lives, and the nagging I would have to endure from the wife would be unbearable.

I don't have kids, but when I have the nephew in the car, I would never compromise his safety...not matter what the price. I just wouldn't want to be the one to explain to his parents that 'speeding' was the cause of his...well...NO, to answer your question.

You're kidding right? Before the urge strikes you again, imagine your wife and kids' body parts strewn all over the highway from a wreck you caused because someone dared to go faster. The worst part would be for you to survive to re-live this horror every day for the rest of your life. Yes, I also like to speed, but I have enough sense to know when it's safe without endangering anyone, especially myself. You're a husband and father, your job is to care for and protect your family, not to risk their lives.

Never been over 80 with the family in the car;) Occasionally traffic permitting I will give short little blasts 10-50.....20-60....you get the idea.

Hear is the usual family response:

Wife.........WOULD YOU JUST STOP!!!!!!!!!

KIDS.........FASTER DADDY....FASTER:lol:

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Having family in the car does slow me down and I will never mess around with them in the car. Just not worth it IMO.

That said, I do stay up with traffic and am frequently in the faster lane, I just don't take the risks I would if I was solo.

I'll give it a run when traffic permits it, but I must say, I actually go out of my way not to do any aggressive driving when I have my boys with me, let alone the wife! I wouldn't want to unnecessarily endanger their lives, and the nagging I would have to endure from the wife would be unbearable.

+100

I tend not to exceed 80 with just me in the car. When I have people riding in the car, I drive pretty much the same. I don't speed excessively, I'll pretty much never do more than 20 over, and I try to keep to 5-15 over for most routine driving. I take corners a little fast, and sometimes my friends reach for the oh-s*** handle and complain. I'm not turning anywhere near the limits of the car/tires either; I guess AutoX has me a bit desensitized.

You're kidding, right? I drive way over the limit, but only under certain conditions:

- daytime

- no kids in the car

- no wife in the car

- lots of clear road ahead

All the kids get for "fast" is a quick blip from 20 to 40 in a 35 mph zone. That's it. And racing other cars on the road? That's what the track is for...

There's a great section where I can open it up on my commute merging from a frontage road onto the highway. I have passed people on this section, but only if I can give them a car's width of room. Otherwise, I usually end up racing up to about 4 lengths behind and slowing down.. Just isn't worth the risk.

Keep it under 80 with the kids in the car. of course, that's on surface streets driving to and from the daycare facility! just kiddin.....highway limit. Probably do push 10-15 mph over posted limits around town, but I am aware of their presence and it does put a filter on my driving habits.

Must admit, it gets hard when all three are yelling..."GO FASTER DAD! or What's the boost pressure now?"

I have no kids either but when I have my nephews in the car I wouldn't dare speed. It kinda sucks going 55 on a road where your usually doing 80 but there safety is more important to me than myself or my car for that matter.

The only speeding you should do with your kids is on GT4 or other game you can share with them in the safety of your own home,...

With one's wife,..well lets leave it up to you,..Im sure not everyone loves their wife as much as their kids,..

Give them a chance at a future,..drive safe, speed on the track,..

:)

Ill accelerate quickly off the line with my 3 y/o son in the car, he cheers for that.. but wont go over like 80 on the parkway (which is slow actually).. no dangerous crap like weeving through traffic, or racing another car... just a little pull at a light if the conditions permit.

With the wife, ill do whatever.. her daily driving is like 100x's more risky than my "wanna be race car driver" driving.. im seriously afraid to drive with my wife in her car most of the time. :)

With the wife, ill do whatever.. her daily driving is like 100x's more risky than my "wanna be race car driver" driving.. im seriously afraid to drive with my wife in her car most of the time. :)

:lol: - Agreed.

Seriously:

I try to not let road-rage get the best of me *any* time.

I'll play, but only if the other driver seems like he's a sane-minded individual. Although the wifey will protest to no limit when she's in he car, she still knows that this will happen, and bears with it. :p

When the road clears, IN DAYLIGHT and under good conditions, with long sightlines, It's not unlikely for me to engage in a top-speed run or two, but with the wifey in the car, I usually top myself out at about 100 mph, at most. Cruising speeds for me, with her in the car and us on long road-trips, is usually 75-85 mph.

With my kiddo - soon to come - in the back, I doubt that I'd venture north of 90 mph. even under ideal and wide-open road conditions, even in Montana; and definitely, there won't be *ANY* playing. :mad:

With anyone else in the car, there's no playing, either. I don't like to subject anyone to my lack of driving prowess unless they've signed on the dotted line. And last time I checked, only my wife has entered into a legally binding contract with me. :lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Never been over 80 with the family in the car;) Occasionally traffic permitting I will give short little blasts 10-50.....20-60....you get the idea.

Hear is the usual family response:

Wife.........WOULD YOU JUST STOP!!!!!!!!!

KIDS.........FASTER DADDY....FASTER:lol:

kinda what I do. kids love the "whee" road by our house. it's got quick little hills on it. but otherwise:

1. sets a bad example for your kids when they get older. Tells them it's ok to speed.

2. quick way to lose your family. Maybe you won't do something wrong, but maybe the guy you are racing will.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Archived