LegacyGT.com

ECU/Stuttering Follow-Ups

smkscrn

Would You Sign A Petition to Submit to SOA regarding the ECU/stutter Issue?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Sign A Petition to Submit to SOA regarding the ECU/stutter Issue?

Thanks for the info on TSB 02-97-05. I gave that number to the tech last service I had and no results. Their follow service call top me got them to "bring ityt inagain so I could drive with the tech to experience the problem" - for the third tim,e. It's like I made the issue up. I had this issue before I discoverded legacygt.com. they don't do warranty work on Saturdays, so I must take time off work. And of course I won't be able to reproduce the problem for him.

As I've seen written here it's not a "problem" only an annoyance. For $30,000 I should put up with annoyance.

I signed the petition. What else can we all do???

amillians shows the frustration.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KEEP PUSHING THE INTEREST IN SIGNING A REAL PETITION. If our numbers get up to 75+ I will start a post requesting peoples email address and will be creating a WORD document to email everyone to "electronically" sign and keep forwarding.

Hope this works! Still open to suggestions....

ps- im STILL waiting on a call from SOA after driving with my regional rep. with my LGT and him understanding what I was trying to explain "his initial response was he will make the tech. department at SOA aware..."............B. S.

joe

I'm in. Today was the first time I experienced the stutter in really cold temps (21 degress per the OB computer). At 3k RPM, in 3rd gear approaching 40MPH. I can tell you the stuttering, while less frequent in the cold, is a much worse experience.

I'm resetting my ECU tomorrow to clear out all of the bad data to see if that helps.

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Got follow-up call from SOA customer service stating that SOA has concluded that there is an indentifiable issue with my LGT (and assuming others) and that the field rep/ area rep for my dealer is going to be in contact with the service manager at my dealership..........and If i am still experiencing these issues (stutter/rough idle) i should tell dealer ASAP.

this is goooood news peoples! I have an oil change scheduled for this Friday, 1/20/06.

I will post more as I find out.

Joe

I can't believe this car made it past reliability testing.

I don't mean to start a war, but the rhetoric is getting pretty thick.

Nothing personal, but there were three 2005 Subaru Legacy GT's with the manual transmission at a local Subaru meet two weeks ago. None of us have the problem.

Granted, we've all felt a sort of stuttering at some point in our ownership; but it had more to do with how we drove it as opposed to a defect from the factory.

What I initially posted in this thread as stuttering behavior from my car was just me letting the clutch out too fast and not being smooth. It doesn't happen unless I make it happen. Which is to say, when I drive properly it doesn't happen at all.

I'm not saying that there isn't a real problem with some cars. But I think it's going a little far as to say every single car on the road is of poor quality and should have never "..made it past reliablity testing".

Some cars do it and some cars don't. That's the bottom line.

Bought my 06 earlier this week, it was on display in the showroom with a dead battery. From the get-go I've experienced the stutter, although it's not as severe as what folks have posted earlier; no surprise since I'm assuming the 06's left the factory with what ever (minor) remedy was included in the reflash.

For the time being, a fix is a downshift away. We'll see what happens over time.

I know that it's been posted before, but my 05 STI never drove like this.

I don't mean to start a war, but the rhetoric is getting pretty thick.

Yea, well guess what? Those of us that paid $26K+ for this car are fucking pissed that we spent that much money on a car that stutters like a crack head under 3,500 rpms. So what if it's a downshift away from getting above the stutter? I don't know of ANY car out there that does this and I've owned 14+ cars in under 10 years and not a single one of them have ever had this problem unless of course, OMG!, there was something wrong. Until you own something that shouldn't have this problem and paid good money for it, shut the fuck up about "this rhetoric".

BadAndy, Get a Fuckin Accessport and a Fuckin TDC Protune and then you won't be so Fuckin angry cause your Fuckin car won't Fuckin stutter any Fuckin more.

I didn't pay $26 fucking thousand dollars just to turn around and spend $6fuckinghundred dollars to fix a problem that shouldn't be a problem. Got it? Does that make sense to you? You fucking Democrats are all about throwing money at the problem instead of fixing the source.

I didn't pay $26 fucking thousand dollars just to turn around and spend $6fuckinghundred dollars to fix a problem that shouldn't be a problem. Got it? Does that make sense to you? You fucking Democrats are all about throwing money at the problem instead of fixing the source.
How the fuck did politics get involved in stuttering? Liberal elites like to think about the real causes and solutions to problems ;)

I agree with BadAndy 100% - minus the F-bombs and irrelevant (& completely misguided) political references.

I've got 12k on my (stock) 05 MT and it's definitely as bad as ever. BTW - you don't have to be shifting for it to happen (some have suggested it's related to how folks shift b/t gears) - it happens to me anytime (any gear) I'm under 3k RPM's.

It really is unacceptable - SOA needs to step up. I'm embarrassed to take friends in the car b/c it's so obvious and rough.

I should disclose that I'm thrilled with just about everything else about the car. This is my only (very large) complaint about the car (besides my driver's heated seat not working - separate story).

Yes I would have to agree with the previous post. I only have about 4000 miles and as the thrill of having a new kick ass car slowly fades, I get more annoyed by the stuttering issue. This is definitely something we shouldn't just deal with and let slide. Maybe if the car was this great and cost $18g's, but probably not :) . In any case, thus far Subaru has seamed genuinely concerned about customer service and my service center has been great so I'll bring it in shortly.

I initially responded that my stutter was present right after the ECU reflash at about 4000 miles. However, 5000+ miles later, after being in to fix a stalling issue, I think I can say my stutter is gone now at 10,000 miles. I believe an ECU pin got bent during the reflash, knocking the O2 sensor offline (causing no CEL or code). That, possibly coupled with a sticky throttle plate, was likely the cause of my stutter in the 2300-3300rpm range under light to moderate acceleration.

It REALLY annoyed me previously, and I have been cautiously optimistic they fixed it for me. I've got about 800+ miles stutter-free miles so far. My stock LGT is so much smoother, seems to spool the turbo better, and generally feels like a totally new car.

Unforunately, I do not know if this has any bearing on the stutter issues others are seeing.

--Lee

ECU pins do not get touched by a reflash, it happens over bus wires that are far away from the ECU.

Could it possibly happen if his dealer removed and sent the ECU to NJ last year for the barely-improved stuttering reflash? A regular at-the-dealer reflash or AP reflash, no.

-Paul

Unless they FedEx'ed my whole LGT from MA to NJ, I think the ECU pins were in play. ;)

I still don't understand why the dealer couldn't do this reflash. Sending ECUs to NJ (or wherever) seems kind of silly.

• 2 weeks later...

I still have the stutter. Any 06's out there with this issue. It's not a full-on bucking, just like it pulling timing randomly as I try to accelerate.

Without reading the whole 40 someodd pages of the two threads, could an early 06 model have an 05 ECU?

I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

I still have the stutter. Any 06's out there with this issue. It's not a full-on bucking, just like it pulling timing randomly as I try to accelerate.

Without reading the whole 40 someodd pages of the two threads, could an early 06 model have an 05 ECU?

Sounds about normal for the '05+ LGT.

Ok, changed the oil for the first time, 3200 miles to Mobil 1 5w30. The stutter is now gone.

I am grasping at straws here, I have no idea why it happened. The only thing that crosses my mind is AVCS. Has anyone had a chance to view oil pressure during acceleration while the stuttering was occurring?

http://www.drive.subaru.com/Win05_WhatsInside.htm

:confused:

I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

Archived