LegacyGT.com

Finally Test Drove A Legacy GT - NOT IMPRESSED

You don't need to match revs, that's what the synchro is for. I'll walk your auto any time, from any speed, if we're both off boost at the start. If both cars are on boost, then depending on the gear the manual will be a little faster almost all the time, but only because of the gear ratios. Again, the speed of the shift doesn't matter as much - you control the revs with your right foot.

But that's not my point - I don't care if your auto was faster - I want the control and the challenge of getting the perf out of the car.

Like they said in a recent f1 broadcast ". . . have to drive like Keke Rossberg; toss your cigarette aside, jump into the car, and wring it's bloody neck!"

That's me. For the millionth time, I'm just explaining how I feel and not trying to convert you.

Well said ShadowImg....

By the time you do all your rev matching and all that on the highway the auto can be probably higher in boost. It shifts FAST on downshifts. It is an upshift lag that takes timing.

MT is faster, no argument, but thinking that you can walk an auto all day long blah blah blah is ignorance too.

People buy what they want. If they regret their choice well then take the hit and sell and buy the trans you want.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You say you don't have anything to prove yet you just posted 3 times in a row to prove a point that isn't even why we wrote against your statements in the 1st place. YOU made the statement that an auto mated to any turbo car is a terrible combination.

Well you never proved or showed any evidence towards that statement which is what started this. All you have done is show everyone how much you make love to your MT since "it gets you off"

If you want to argue MT vs AT then use the search and have a ball!

I'll race your MT anytime too! Oooops its not about performance and speed and 0-60 and racing......I forgot :)

Um, I'm running a stock car, not shooting for a drag racing trophy, like I said many times. A manual is more controllable under any conditions than an auto coupled to the same engine. I dont give a shit what some guy modded his car to to go faster - I'm talking about the transmission. Who gives a rat's about Jorge's car? so what. I'd rather drive my slowass 95 legacy than the fastest rice rocket you can find on the net with an auto trans.

WTF, anyway, I've said many times I'm not trying to convert anyone, to each his own, and all that, and you guys tell me about doing 0-60 runs and quarter miles compared to some dude's car, i mean, wtf, I guess your dad can kick my dad's ass too, huh?

Also, anyone who doesn't know how to keep boost up in his MT car shifting gears has no idea how to drive the car, again, wtf.

We're talking about personal preferences, I love to drive, not be a passenger. If driving doesn't get your rocks off like it does me, that's cool, i'm not putting you down. I don't give a rat's. I drive quickly and with as much finesse as I can most of the time. I enjoy controlling the car, and I don't care what the engine is, I want the manual. Don't care what you want.

I was answering the original post, which pointed out what a dog this car is with an auto. So is the A6 turbo with an auto. Under almost all conditions, when you want to get acceleration, the manual will be faster. don't tell me the auto's downshift is going to build boost faster than clutching the manual - it can't, it wont rev up until its in the lower gear. A good driver driving the manual will build revs prior to gear engagement, and the boost will already be there. I don't care if you don't understand this. If you really want to get the car to respond, you build revs above where you need them to be, and you will have more boost up to the max at that point.

Again, I'm not putting you down if you like your auto, but you're telling me the auto is faster/better/whatever, and if in your hands, the auto is equal to or better than the manual in performance (uh, with the same motor, not yer unlces modded so and so), then, um, you suck driving a manual.

I won't argue with the fact that with equal skilled drivers in each, the manual will be faster than the auto. You're absolutely right. If you read back, you'll notice my comments are entirely related to your statement saying that automatic transmissions and turbo motors do not work well togther, and bring out the worst in both. That simply is not true, as i've pointed out.

I don't disagree with you for wanting, preferring, and driving a manual. In fact, I fully agree with you. However, your statement that technically an automatic transmission and a turbo engine do not work well together is simply wrong.

I'm not arguing about who's car is faster, the reason I brought up Jorge's car is because it's a daily commuter suited automatic which performs extremely well, mating a properly tuned automatic transmission up with a properly tuned turbo induction engine. I use this simply as a proof-of-concept that an automatic transmission and a turbo engine are perfectly happy together.

I'm also going to give you kudos on the miata being a great car to drive -- my dream car is an Elise. It certainly isn't going to win many number wars, but as far as driving fun, you just can't beat it.

My miata is my favorite car, and it's slow as shit compared to my A4 and GT.

<---- Amen, brother. Preaching to the converted, here!

There is no better feeling that clicking off perfect shifts at 6750 RPMs, rev-matching, and just smoking somebody who's looking over at you with disdain from their "nicer/technically faster" car.

When you can feel comfortable getting the full measure of performance from a less powerful car, and revel in just making the car sing... Then you'll know why driving a manual transmission is more rewarding than a "slushbox."

For the joy of driving... I don't care if some people smoke me from a light. It isn't as much fun as me smoking somebody up to a safe road speed, but it doesn't really affect me. The drive itself brings the smile right back to my face.

Besides that, I take more pleasure in a perfect apex and correct-gear throttle-roll-on than a stoplight holeshot just about any day of the week.

hey, 'nuff dudes. tantal made it clear he was just misunderstood. He may have written a lot of things, but his bottomline is that it's really just a preference and is what makes driving fun for him.

Even I have to agree that things are more fun or more meaningful is I worked hard for it. I think he's talking about enjoying the fact that given the same manual car, he can coax it to do anything he wants ... whether it's to speed up or to slow down. (I find it annoying that I still have to toggle the tiptronic switch to down-shift when I want engine brake. You'd think they'd attach that logic to the brake system by now.)

You say you don't have anything to prove yet you just posted 3 times in a row to prove a point that isn't even why we wrote against your statements in the 1st place. YOU made the statement that an auto mated to any turbo car is a terrible combination.

Well you never proved or showed any evidence towards that statement which is what started this. All you have done is show everyone how much you make love to your MT since "it gets you off"

If you want to argue MT vs AT then use the search and have a ball!

I'll race your MT anytime too! Oooops its not about performance and speed and 0-60 and racing......I forgot :)

agreed.....but i'd love to race your AT mblock. Auto (stage I and pullies) vs. stock 5mt would be fun to see. maybe your times would improve :-)

• 2 months later...

Archived