LegacyGT.com

'05-'09 Legacy / Outback - brake line corrosion recall

Mine took just under 1 hour, but there were a boat load of people at cityside subaru.

Service guy said they have already seen over 500+ legacies/outbacks and none needed replacement parts.

edit: i forgot to mention they also washed my car. haha.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still have to make an appointment for mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Cherry Hill Subaru had me out in about a half hour. Service Writer said they haven't seen a leaker yet. They don't have the replacement lines in stock, but assured me they are ready to put me in a car if repairs are needed. Probably on the lawyers advice...don't find a serious potential problem then let the car go down the road.

Mine took just under 1 hour, but there were a boat load of people at cityside subaru.

Service guy said they have already seen over 500+ legacies/outbacks and none needed replacement parts.

edit: i forgot to mention they also washed my car. haha.

Long time no see! Which Subie Dealer did you go to? I may drive into that one if it takes such a short time. I've not heard many good things about the Metrowest one by my house. Even when I went to get a new key back when I first got the car, not only did it cost a buttload, it took 2.5 hrs to get the key.. I was rather cranky. To their defense, I was "told" that just cutting the key, then getting some code from the car and calling SOA to get the code/key registered? Takes time.. still seems pretty far fetched it could take that long......

Long time no see! Which Subie Dealer did you go to? I may drive into that one if it takes such a short time. I've not heard many good things about the Metrowest one by my house. Even when I went to get a new key back when I first got the car, not only did it cost a buttload, it took 2.5 hrs to get the key.. I was rather cranky. To their defense, I was "told" that just cutting the key, then getting some code from the car and calling SOA to get the code/key registered? Takes time.. still seems pretty far fetched it could take that long......

haha hey. I went to CitySide Subaru in Belmont. It took about an hour, but it was busy that day. I'm sure if you scheduled it right, you could be out in 30 minutes.

I scheduled an oil change last week, and the service manager said first thing "you have a recall so we'll do that".. and I stopped him. Because I only go in on my lunch break for an oil change. I need to be in and out. Told him dont worry about that now, Ill bring it in another time.

So, yesterday I take it for my appt. They started on it at 12:30. At 1:05 they were finished and he goes "we did your oil, filter, fluids, tires, etc and performed the recall". I was like really? That fast?

I dont know if its because it was already on the lift, and maybe if you send it in specifically for the repair it has to wait in que for a service lift? The oil change area is separate from the main floor. But he told me what they did, and I looked at it quickly and they def did something.

Really dont think it takes as long as it says it does. The manager said pretty much what others have said. He hasnt seen any even remotely bad or close to leaking and needing replaced. He said he caught wind of a replacement that was needed in upstate new york.

Oh well...its done.

J.

• I Donated
The question is rather - when is it bad enough to mandate a replacement instead of just covering it up with anti-corrosion wax?

According to soa, when the lines are actively leaking, aka you're lucky you even made it here without dying

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Are these dual circuit brake systems? I.E. if you lose pressure to front or rear, the other remains in service?

Regardless, Ive had brake lines on my Jeeps that spent hours and hours sumberged in some of the worst stuff you can think of, through road salt, beat up on rocks etc... and I NEVER had a leak due to corrosion so bad that it caused a dangerous situation.

Could it happen? Sure. Im betting if they leak, it'll be slow, and your brake fluid light will come on way before the fulid reaches a dangerous level. That light means stop driving and figure out the problem. If someone chooses to ignore that light, they're gonna do what they want regardless so...

I plan to just keep checking my brake fluid, along with all my other fluids, when I fill up with gas, and periodically check for any seepage in the back. I feel ok about it for now.

J.

• 1 month later...
Are these dual circuit brake systems? I.E. if you lose pressure to front or rear, the other remains in service?

Regardless, Ive had brake lines on my Jeeps that spent hours and hours sumberged in some of the worst stuff you can think of, through road salt, beat up on rocks etc... and I NEVER had a leak due to corrosion so bad that it caused a dangerous situation.

Could it happen? Sure. Im betting if they leak, it'll be slow, and your brake fluid light will come on way before the fulid reaches a dangerous level. That light means stop driving and figure out the problem. If someone chooses to ignore that light, they're gonna do what they want regardless so...

I plan to just keep checking my brake fluid, along with all my other fluids, when I fill up with gas, and periodically check for any seepage in the back. I feel ok about it for now.

J.

I guess you've never had a friend you had a 2004 Chevy 1500 with 18,000 miles it, that needed to have a brake line replaced. Because it was over 5 y/o Chevy didn't want to pay for it.

Yes it rusted thru.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Haha...funny enough I have a friend with a 2004 1500 Silverado. I put a lift kit on it and re-geared it for him back in 2006. I cant comment on his brake lines, just thought it was funny that the example you used actually corresponded to someone I know :)

And like I said in my post "can it happen...sure". I just rarely see brake lines THAT bad that they leak due to rust. Ive seen it happen...just more often than not they're rusty yet functional. Def should be fixed though. Im certainly not suggesting you let your overly rusted brake lines on the car and then go on road trips with your whole family in the car!

J.

• 3 weeks later...
Cleaned out extra stuff out of the car & did a quick interior detail. I be dropping it off to the dealer tomorrow for the recall ( my rear brake line(s) just start to drip) & a 4 wheel alinement.

Mike

Dealer just called me. They replacing all 4 rear brake line under the recall. They don't have them all in stock. They call Mon. to update me.

He said, "Your LGT is the 1st brake line replacement they have done under this recall. All others just need to cleaned & coated with rust proofing".

Mike

Dealer just called me. Brake line parts are on hold. They are at the warehouse waiting on Subaru to release them.

He said, they did tell him why they are on hold or when they will be released.

I told him, sense my car is going to be there in Sept. go a head & do NYSI.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

• 4 months later...

Keeping this thread alive, I too just towed the car in for the recall as I felt my brakes starting to get weak a few nights ago as I'm driving. Was confused as all hell until I found the recall thread.

Mine is the first car they are ever doing the lines on, every one else has just gotten the spray.

They called me today saying parts are on order, should be good for tuesday/wednesday pick up. Yay.

• 5 months later...

The new recall is NHTSA Campaign Number 14V-311, Subaru Recall Campaign: Brake Line Corrosion WQK-47.

The documents on the NHTSA site include this: "Note: This recall supersedes recall 13V-110. Vehicles that were remedied under the previous campaign still need additional areas rust-proofed."

While at the dealer having some 09 keys cut/programmed for the used LGT I picked up at the end of last month, the service manager mentions they performed the brake line corrosion recall service. I thought "Oh, that's good. Just heard about that." After noticing this thread was originally from 2013, I check the invoice receipt. Turns out they did WQG-43, the one from 2013. Do all dealers not have the info yet? Guess I'll be going back at some point for WQK-47.

For what it's worth, it took a good hour and change though I think most of it was the tech hemming and hawing thinking the 09 keys wouldn't work on the 05.

Just an FYI, couldn't find a thread created, and I don't know all of the officials yet, but there is a second brake line recall for 2005-2009 Legacy's in salt belt states. Here's the story in USA Today

and

The new recall is NHTSA Campaign Number 14V-311, Subaru Recall Campaign: Brake Line Corrosion WQK-47.

The documents on the NHTSA site include this: "Note: This recall supersedes recall 13V-110. Vehicles that were remedied under the previous campaign still need additional areas rust-proofed."

----->

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/nhtsa-recall-14v311-subaru-2005-2014-brake-lines-may-fail-227455.html?t=227455

:)

@ scontivt - What I found weird this time around is that the popular media got the story *after* NHTSA released the recall (look at the date/time of my post, it beats the USA Today article). Previous runs of these Subaru recalls showed consistent patterns in the popular media beating the NHTSA release to the punch by days. ???

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived