LegacyGT.com

'05-'09 Legacy / Outback - brake line corrosion recall

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

apexi thanks for the pictures, they help a lot.

I take my wagon in next Tuesday after work. I'll do the Spec B after that. It's the wagon I'm more worried about.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I just got a letter the other day. And Ive only owned the GT for a short while! Didnt expect that.

Im going to check mine myself, take a couple pics, then when its in for its next oil change have them check it. Says its only 8 minutes to inspect or something, and it'll already be up for the oil change. I still dont like covering rusty lines with waxy coating. Unless they treat it with a rust killer first I guess...

J.

Im going to check mine myself, take a couple pics, then when its in for its next oil change have them check it. Says its only 8 minutes to inspect or something, and it'll already be up for the oil change. I still dont like covering rusty lines with waxy coating. Unless they treat it with a rust killer first I guess...

If you do end up taking pictures, you should post them here. I'm curious to see the condition of other peoples lines

Anyone bring in their car in yet? I just made an appointment for next week and said it would take 1-1.5 hours for the anti-rust treatments (not 18 minutes as stated in the recall notice). If replacement is needed, they have to order the parts (wtf?). I called two subaru service centers (Cityside and Metrowest Subaru) and both independently said this.

Everyone should check their cars first if I'm told it's a 9 hour fix if they decide it needs it so I think they might try to weasel out of it if they can.

Who told you this? Looking at the part (again just from the pictures previously posted), that looks like a stand alone system? Unplug lines, replace, re-fill brake system, bleed, test drive, voila.

9hrs, seems a little much, but honestly, I have nothing to back it up with :rolleyes:

• Moderators
Who told you this? Looking at the part (again just from the pictures previously posted), that looks like a stand alone system? Unplug lines, replace, re-fill brake system, bleed, test drive, voila.

9hrs, seems a little much, but honestly, I have nothing to back it up with :rolleyes:

See post #21. It takes 7 hours because Subaru says that's how long it takes:

HOW LONG WILL THE REPAIR TAKE?

The time to inspect the brake lines and apply anti-rust material is approximately 18 minutes. If it is determined that the brake lines require replacement, the total estimated repair time is 7 hours. However, it may be necessary to leave your vehicle for a longer period of time on the day of your scheduled appointment to allow your dealer flexibility in scheduling.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators
subaru says 7 hours, service manager at the dealer I went into said 9. Probably somewhere in between the two. It takes so long because they have to drop the gas tank to get at some of the lines to replace them.

In real life it probably just means that you need to drop your car off and leave it, pick it up the next day.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Well I just looked at mine and they are definatly rusty/corroded. I've seen worse, that weren't leaking (some of the brake lines on my 92 ss come to mind...lol) but they are bad enough to raise a bit of concern. And they are more corroded than anything else under my car. Tomorrow I will call the dealer and see if I can get specifics on the condition they need to be in to warrant replacement. They definitely shouldn't just be coated over with something at this point And hope for the best. That would be something even less than a bandaide... I'm not really worried about a sudden blow out, at least not immediately since just last Saturday I had to make a panic stop from 80mph on I77 in the mountains of West Virginia and they held fine...:rolleyes: I'm sure knowing what I know now though I would have been a bit more worried making that 2000 mile round trip though. The car was originally sold in Indiana, then in Ohio where I bought it at 49000 miles, and it now has 120000 to anyone that's interested. Oh and for anyone wondering about the 7-9 hour replacement time, if I remember right from my stereo install the lines run in and under the back seat and along the passenger side floorboards...so not only does the gas tank have to come down, presumably the interior needs to come mostly out on that side too. .Pics to follow shortly.

Thanks for the pictures. I would imagine that corrosion is bad enough to warrant replacement even if they aren't leaking, but you never know. Keep us posted

I forgot to mention in my previous post from yesterday, that the service manager said these would only be replaced if fluid was leaking. I asked why this was because its possible that there's enough rust/corrosion to warrant a complete replacement. And he basically said the anti-rust material would stop any further corrosion.....still doesn't help what's already done though. :spin:

Where is this located on the car? I want to check mine even tho I don't think mines bad at all, I just want to check it.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

Archived