LegacyGT.com

'05-'09 Legacy / Outback - brake line corrosion recall

I've only dealt with a dealer once. I had a coupon for a cheap oil change and they wanted to charge me almost $3000 for some basic repairs (I had another shop I trust do everything under a grand). I'm a little apprehensive about taking it in for this inspection/repair. Any tips for someone that doesn't deal with the dealer that often? My car has been registered in Utah,Missouri and Kansas so it qualifies.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I snapped a quick picture after having subaru put their anti-corrosion wax on my brake lines and joint connector. It's not the best picture since I didn't feel like going underneath my wet car, but better than nothin.

after1.thumb.jpg.cf708ab3cea0c020c784ab2c867095b8.jpg

I got to the appointment 20 minutes early, and I was there for about an hour, or just under an hour. It looked like my car was only on the lift for 20 minutes or so though, so I think they might've just been busy with other customers and such.

I snapped a quick picture after having subaru put their anti-corrosion wax on my brake lines and joint connector. It's not the best picture since I didn't feel like going underneath my wet car, but better than nothin.

wow, what a technical fix! they just spluged it.

Heres a few more pictures from some Outback forums.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/54561-new-recall-brake-lines-4.html#post698841

One guy there suspects it's just white lithium grease. I'm not too worried regardless of what was used since that area just gets splashed with water, and doesn't really get hit with hard streams of water. As long as it has decent waterproof properties and can't get eaten away with salt, I'm ok with it. And I guess car wash underbody washes could spray water up through the hole I outlined previously, but it'd have to be directly under the hole.

Edit:

My receipt says the following under parts

SOA635115 WQG43 NOX RU

So it looks like it might be a tectyl or nox-rust product from the daubert chemical company, and not just plain ole white lithium grease.

I had a chance to look at mine today. Access was pretty straightforward, pop the little door open and look up.

I was very surprised at how well mine had held up, considering the state of the rest of my underbody components. It looked nowhere near as bad as the pictures that FrozenNorthLGT posted a little higher up.

With that said, the fix seems a little suspect, and I have my doubts that it will hold up in the long run. I'd much rather... "encourage" them to replace the lines with a little brake fluid.

For anyone wondering, as far as I understand, they will only replace the lines if they observe "seepage" of brake fluid through the lines/connector. If none is observed, no matter how bad the rust, you get the band-aid fix.

Keep the before pictures coming so that we'll have a benchmark from the first person to have the 4-way replaced, thereby hopefully knowing what level of rust/leakage constitutes replacement for reference to our local stealerships.

So Salt Lake City Utah is NOT part of the recall area?? Not sure why because winters here can be rather harsh. I think I wash my car more in the winter than in the summer due to the amount of salt they throw on the roads.

So here's what mine looks like after 7 chicago winters (though I try not to drive it much when there's salt on the ground.

Although the lighting is a little off, I thought it looked ok and I would be happy applying an anti-rust coating myself. I've serviced my car myself for the 7 years I've owned it - don't trust anyone handling her.

It's definitely tight in there without removing the underguard. But I figure it would be easy enough to remove the underguard, hit it with a wire brush, anti-rust coating. Then good as new.

photo(6).thumb.jpg.1a425cb97d8c2e2af0ad17e7fad43e2d.jpg

So Salt Lake City Utah is NOT part of the recall area?? Not sure why because winters here can be rather harsh. I think I wash my car more in the winter than in the summer due to the amount of salt they throw on the roads.

Yep, I made this same arguement earlier, I just called Mark Miller to inquire, and they said you can bring your car in and they will inspect it for you for free.

Yep, I made this same arguement earlier, I just called Mark Miller to inquire, and they said you can bring your car in and they will inspect it for you for free.

Mine was registered in MO at one point so it should qualify on that. I gotta call today. I can't believe SLC, Utah isn't on that list tho.

Just got off the phone with the service dept at Mark Miller. He said that he doubts it would qualify since it spent such a short time in MO. When I asked why SLC isn't covered, he said the desert climate offsets the salt. Riiiiiiiight... I'm gonna get under the car soon to see how mine looks. If it's bad I'm gonna try to press the dealer more.

If it's not that bad, does anyone have a suggestion of what rust inhibitor I can use myself? Thanks....

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

I was emailing back and forth with the service manager at Nate Wade Subaru. He spent the better half of two emails trying to convince me there is no real problem and not to be worried. I asked him why there was a recall then? I didn't get a response back :lol:

I forgot to mention in my previous post from yesterday, that the service manager said these would only be replaced if fluid was leaking. I asked why this was because its possible that there's enough rust/corrosion to warrant a complete replacement. And he basically said the anti-rust material would stop any further corrosion.....still doesn't help what's already done though. :spin:

At some level the rust has weakened them enough to warrant a replacement. A panic braking would risk cracking them if they are damaged.

I was emailing back and forth with the service manager at Nate Wade Subaru. He spent the better half of two emails trying to convince me there is no real problem and not to be worried. I asked him why there was a recall then? I didn't get a response back :lol:

Watch out - it can be that they report to SOA that they have made a replacement but are cutting the corners and earn money on it.

So you should check with SOA when your car has been in to see which action that was reported and compare with your car.

453747.png

For those of you not in the area of the recall, but concerned about rust, this is taken from the recall bulletin...

Vehicles in "non-salt belt" states that have experienced the defect

In the unlikely event that an owner in a "non-salt belt" state experiences the defect or otherwise requests the procedure be performed on their vehicle, the dealer should perform the recall procedure. This applies to both "salt-belt" and "non-salt belt" state dealers.

As far as the chemical used, it is a can that does 33 cars. Not cheap either...MSRP $84.00

I like to cook my pets and my family.

Use commas. Don't be a psycho.

Just got off the phone with the service dept at Mark Miller. He said that he doubts it would qualify since it spent such a short time in MO. When I asked why SLC isn't covered, he said the desert climate offsets the salt. Riiiiiiiight... I'm gonna get under the car soon to see how mine looks. If it's bad I'm gonna try to press the dealer more.

If it's not that bad, does anyone have a suggestion of what rust inhibitor I can use myself? Thanks....

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/DINITROL-PENETRATOR-AEROSOL-Extension-nozzle/dp/B0076L4BII]DINITROL ML PENETRATOR WAX 4 x 500ml AEROSOL SPRAY CANS with 600mm Extension spray nozzle: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike[/ame]

http://www.qpaints.co.uk/tetroseal-wax-oil-rustproofing-black-5l.html

http://www.tradekey.com/product_view/id/3985777.htm

http://raybuck.com/i-68312-rusfre-clear-amber-innerpanel-rustproofing.html

http://www.tptools.com/TP-Tools-Wax-Based-Permanent-Rustproofing-Coating-Gallon,7387.html

Rust proofing the car is quite a business over here - and it's necessary since we have one of the most rust-prone climates in the world here around the west coast of Sweden - long winters with a lot of salt on the roads and temperatures around the freezing point combined with salt from the sea. The UK suffers similar conditions.

As far as the chemical used, it is a can that does 33 cars. Not cheap either...MSRP $84.00

I would say that it's heavily overpriced. You can get a 1 liter can for something like $12 here - someone makes a buck.

453747.png

My wagon goes to the dealer at 4:15 today, it's 9 years old, I'm guessing they'll just clean it and coat it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived