LegacyGT.com

Custom-made Sport Grill: S402 Replica Walkthrough ('05-'07 Legacy)

nospmoht04

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Update:

Screamin and no longer .:Catalyst:. purchased the grill in the pics, while .:Catalyst:. sent me an oem grill to make his out of.

After this I've got:

1. 12sechatch (S402 style, Honeycomb)

2. SBT [s402 style (Honeycomb?)]

3.JJr (S402 style, Honeycomb)

4.06silvarubiLGT (providing oem for regular recess, honeycomb)

This priority list is assuming I make an S402 style grill, post pics, and everyone is on board with it.

Those not providing grills to me, I'll buy some as fast as I can find them and make theirs but if you're sending me a grill to work with, I can get going on it now.

I've got your preferences written down but haven't gotten any honeycomb mesh as of now. It's looking like its more expensive but I wouldnt' think it'd be anything more than $5-$8 per grill after buying a roll of it somewhere. It depends on how many I can get out of a roll. I'll post it when I figure it out. If anyone knows a good spot to buy it, feel free to post it. Let me know if I made any mistakes.

Man, if you can find a roll of honeycomb that looks like the S402 grill then you are gonna be making A LOT of grills.

Like Catalyst stated, the crown vic grill is used for the DIY and I don't think I've seen anything else used. kswagon has a DIY honeycomb grill with some type of different material but he said they no longer make it.

Here is the link to the best looking DIY mesh grill: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/my-diy-jdm-spec-b-grille-114000.html?highlight=crown+vic+grill

EDIT, just fixed link

Edited by Screamin

Would like it to be honeycomb, centered badge location, and nearly flush to the outer periphery of the grille frame. So everything flows from the bottom of the hood to the bumper with a smooth, uninterumpted flow top-to-bottom, side-to-side. That's an S402 grille. This is what it looks like.

http://legacygt.com/i/customprofilepics/profilepic932_1.gif

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

It'll just be a matter of finding honeycomb mesh that's thick enough to withstand some pressure and rocks hitting it without bending or anything having it out and exposed like that. If the mesh is kept straight it won't be as much of a problem but if its bowed out then it will be.

Found out about a place tonight for mesh that I'm gonna stop by tomorrow during business hours.

I'll keep you all posted.

Would like it to be honeycomb, centered badge location, and nearly flush to the outer periphery of the grille frame. So everything flows from the bottom of the hood to the bumper with a smooth, uninterumpted flow top-to-bottom, side-to-side. That's an S402 grille. This is what it looks like.

http://legacygt.com/i/customprofilepics/profilepic932_1.gif

This grill is so sweet. SBT I want one in a wagon when is your 402 order going to be filled?

I'm interested in a honeycomb grill and have a stock grill that was previously gutted. Would the honeycomb material listed on ebay work?

9" x 42" for $50

10" x 41" for $55

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/PLASTIC-ABS-UNIVERSAL-BLACK-SPORT-MESH-GRILL-GRILLE-CAR-STOCK-OE-STYLE-9-X42-E-/00/s/NTA3WDY2OA==/$(KGrHqN,!jkE8F8jkMO1BPF3SFv80g~~60_12.JPG

I'm interested in a honeycomb grill and have a stock grill that was previously gutted. Would the honeycomb material listed on ebay work?

9" x 42" for $50

10" x 41" for $55

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/PLASTIC-ABS-UNIVERSAL-BLACK-SPORT-MESH-GRILL-GRILLE-CAR-STOCK-OE-STYLE-9-X42-E-/00/s/NTA3WDY2OA==/$(KGrHqN,!jkE8F8jkMO1BPF3SFv80g~~60_12.JPG

I could use this just fine if it were the recessed style like in the pics. The flush look with this thick of mesh and being plastic, I'm not sure right now.

I mean realistically I could do the flush look with this but it'd be $25 for the mesh per grill, if I get 2 per sheet and a lot more time to make it all blend nice. I have the ability to make it work it's just going to cost quite a lot more than the one in the pictures.

Edited by nospmoht04

The grill mesh needs to be about 25"x4", and taller height if it's at an angle or bowed. I could fit 2 grills-worth of material out of one of these sheets of 9x42 or 10x41 (EBay honeycomb above) with a bunch of wasted material to one side. So you're talkin $25 per grill from the sheets.

Also I talked to the place I was going to look at tonight and no luck.

I think I might of found something for the honeycomb mesh. Here's a couple shots, one has the stats on the material and the other shows that I can only get 6 useable cutouts for 6 grills. The 24"x48" sheet is $96 and fits 6 grills. That's $16 a grill. Wasted material but really not too bad of a price overall. This material is rugged though and would definitely last. 1/4" thick would have a pretty nice look to it too. I think it could work.

It's a little small but you should be able to zoom in.

Honeycomb.thumb.png.2634345298a8f0dafd28db6a71ff2a57.png

Sheet.png.b7d0f23e98e5c3198849dda6fda90654.png

Edited by nospmoht04

For anyone who's interested, here's a breakdown of the composition of the honeycomb "mesh". It's also noted as "improved strength" aluminum when you go to order it.

It's the 3003 aluminum.

So this isn't cheap stuff. It's pretty much the best you're gonna get. $16 per grill is what it comes out to. That's an additional $14 ontop of the $175 price tag of buying one flat out, or $120 for trading or using your oem towards it. That's $189 and $134 respectively. Just another option.

Metallurgy.thumb.png.d86ab088f8bbce0ac340f688b0e3d8c8.png

Edited by nospmoht04